U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 08-10-2011, 10:14 AM
 
Location: Pikesville, MD
5,229 posts, read 11,533,900 times
Reputation: 4846

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunluvver2 View Post
One of the biggest advantages of having a vehicle with a MANUAL transmission is the ability to get it started by rolling down a hill or getting some of your dormitory neighbors to give you a push. Try that with most automatic transmission cars and you are S.O.L.
GL2
I'd try having cars that dont need to be push started first. I'd say the disadvantage of having to push start it outweighs any advantages of the manual transmission... BTDT, and being pissed at having to push start a car kind of cancels out any happiness that it's got a stick.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 08-10-2011, 11:24 AM
 
Location: Dallas, TX
4,464 posts, read 9,667,562 times
Reputation: 2819
In addition to that Merc63, I have helped push start several Automatics, so it can actually be done.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-10-2011, 12:10 PM
 
Location: SF Bay Area
7,703 posts, read 5,676,430 times
Reputation: 7570
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleet View Post
No it isn't.
Some women can't learn to drive a car with a manual transmission. I remember a co-worker trying to learn how to in the back parking lot where I worked. She just couldn't get the hang of it.

BTW, you don't necessarily need a car with a manual to have fun driving... just drive the type of car that is fun to drive in the first place.
You're right, Fleet, but of course political correctness rules the day and everything else in 2011. Even in the automotive forum.

I'm trying to think of a topic - any topic - where you can still speak truth without an uproar. Just give me a day or two....I'll think of something.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-10-2011, 02:16 PM
 
Location: Philaburbia
31,290 posts, read 57,520,651 times
Reputation: 52192
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayinAK View Post
Even so, a lot of us have manual transmission automobiles, just for the fun of it.
I wouldn't have it any other way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleet View Post
Some women can't learn to drive a car with a manual transmission.
And plenty of men, too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-10-2011, 02:34 PM
 
Location: Northridge/Porter Ranch, Calif.
22,161 posts, read 26,701,561 times
Reputation: 6447
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
I wouldn't have it any other way.
You are missing out on a lot of enjoyable cars, then. But, that's your choice.

Quote:
And plenty of men, too.
I'm sure there are.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-10-2011, 02:38 PM
 
Location: Northridge/Porter Ranch, Calif.
22,161 posts, read 26,701,561 times
Reputation: 6447
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrownVic95 View Post
You're right, Fleet, but of course political correctness rules the day and everything else in 2011. Even in the automotive forum.

I'm trying to think of a topic - any topic - where you can still speak truth without an uproar. Just give me a day or two....I'll think of something.
Yes, I did forget about PC (political correctness). Had I remembered, I probably would not have even mentioned women drivers and manual transmissions!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-10-2011, 02:53 PM
 
Location: Chicago
38,691 posts, read 87,026,636 times
Reputation: 29357
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleet View Post
You are missing out on a lot of enjoyable cars, then. But, that's your choice.
Just because it's enjoyable to you doesn't mean it's enjoyable to her. It's not a hard concept for most people to grasp.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-10-2011, 03:37 PM
 
Location: Pikesville, MD
5,229 posts, read 11,533,900 times
Reputation: 4846
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
Just because it's enjoyable to you doesn't mean it's enjoyable to her. It's not a hard concept for most people to grasp.

Mmm, she also has had only 8 or so cars since 1975, so I'm sure she has missed out on a lot of cars that are universally considered enjoyable.

Cars like my 740iL are enjoyable and only come in automatic. Cars like my SVT Contour are enjoyable and only come in manual. 45 mph indoor karts are enjoyable and don't have any shifting whatsoever (manual or automatic). After experiencing literally hundreds of different fast, fun cars, I can say that limiting yourself to only manual cars does mean you miss out on some fun, enjoyable cars. Same with limiting yourself to only automatics, or limiting yourself to any one kind of car.

It's like saying "I like chocolate, and I'll only eat chocoloate ice cream." Chocolate ice cream may indeed be good, but it's still missing out on a lot of enjoyable flavors that are't chocolate. And saying "well, I also had pistachio so I know what other flavors taste like" is akin to what many people here say about cars they've not had the opporunity to experience. Including people like Fleet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-10-2011, 03:54 PM
 
Location: Northridge/Porter Ranch, Calif.
22,161 posts, read 26,701,561 times
Reputation: 6447
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merc63 View Post
Mmm, she also has had only 8 or so cars since 1975, so I'm sure she has missed out on a lot of cars that are universally considered enjoyable.
Exactly. Kind of silly to narrow cars down by the transmission.

Quote:
Cars like my 740iL are enjoyable and only come in automatic. Cars like my SVT Contour are enjoyable and only come in manual. 45 mph indoor karts are enjoyable and don't have any shifting whatsoever (manual or automatic). After experiencing literally hundreds of different fast, fun cars, I can say that limiting yourself to only manual cars does mean you miss out on some fun, enjoyable cars. Same with limiting yourself to only automatics, or limiting yourself to any one kind of car.
Right. Eliminating cars with automatics would eliminate many classic cars and I believe that modern cars like the Rolls-Royce Ghost and Maybach come equipped with only an automatic transmission, yet many people praise them.

Quote:
It's like saying "I like chocolate, and I'll only eat chocoloate ice cream." Chocolate ice cream may indeed be good, but it's still missing out on a lot of enjoyable flavors that are't chocolate. And saying "well, I also had pistachio so I know what other flavors taste like" is akin to what many people here say about cars they've not had the opporunity to experience. Including people like Fleet.
Right again, except that my top 10 "cars would buy" list includes a '69 Plymouth Road Runner 440-6 bbl with 4.10 axle ratio and, get this, a 4-speed manual transmission! I like manuals in some instances, but I like automatics better, overall.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-10-2011, 06:21 PM
 
Location: Nebraska
4,222 posts, read 7,017,004 times
Reputation: 6608
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merc63 View Post
I'd try having cars that dont need to be push started first. I'd say the disadvantage of having to push start it outweighs any advantages of the manual transmission... BTDT, and being pissed at having to push start a car kind of cancels out any happiness that it's got a stick.
************************************************** ***
Most of us have suffered through a few years when dollars were in short supply. If your battery goes dead in a car with an automatic transmission you are screwed if you are broke. With the manual tranny you have the option of rolling down a hill or finding out who your friends are. Some of my best friends were people I met either helping them push their car or them helping push mine. Those are the kind of friendships that last a lifetime.
GL2
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top