Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2011, 11:25 PM

3,135 posts, read 11,814,193 times

Advertisements

It's 2011, most modern "automatics" are just as fast (usually faster) as a manual and get the same gas mileage or better in some cases (CVT). Just no benefits for a manual, other than a cheaper sticker price.

Driving a manual in a gutless 4 banger just sucks in traffic. Not so bad with a sports car with 400lb-ft of torque.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2011, 11:56 PM

5,004 posts, read 12,312,053 times
Because manual transmission cars are difficult to drive and require more brainpower.

God forbid Americans have to be inconvenienced and require more than a "dur green means push go pedal, red means push stop pedal!" ...

Sometimes I like my fellow countrymen, but sometimes I wonder at just what kind of society we've become, and whether I want to support such a system with my talents and education and experience in industry.

Old 03-27-2011, 12:02 AM

4,237 posts, read 24,688,387 times
Ok I'm going to go out on a limb. Obesity runs rampant in America and too many people eat more than they need. How else are you going to stuff down 2 Big Macs, 4 Twinkies and a tall order of your favorite soda while driving if you don't own an automatic?

Old 03-27-2011, 12:13 AM

24,450 posts, read 33,116,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eskercurve View Post
Because manual transmission cars are difficult to drive and require more brainpower.

God forbid Americans have to be inconvenienced and require more than a "dur green means push go pedal, red means push stop pedal!" ...

Sometimes I like my fellow countrymen, but sometimes I wonder at just what kind of society we've become, and whether I want to support such a system with my talents and education and experience in industry.
That is somewhat of a generalization.

Many, many Americans prefer cars with manual transmissions. I am not one of those because I like '60s and '70s Cadillacs and a manual trans on those cars would not make sense.

And also because I like '60s/early '70s Mopars and while their 4-speed manual trans was okay, the 3-speed automatic (Torqueflite) trans was an excellent and very reliable trans.

BTW, if you think more Americans should drive a manual because it requires more effort, should cars have manual chokes like they used to have? Or how about disconnecting the anti-lock brake system so drivers don't just "push the go pedal, push the stop pedal?"

Old 03-27-2011, 12:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deez Nuttz View Post
Ok I'm going to go out on a limb. Obesity runs rampant in America and too many people eat more than they need. How else are you going to stuff down 2 Big Macs, 4 Twinkies and a tall order of your favorite soda while driving if you don't own an automatic?
It may be because many Americans prefer cars with an automatic. I do (and I don't eat or drink anything while I'm driving).

Old 03-27-2011, 01:00 AM

28,107 posts, read 63,374,410 times
Even the trend for small tractors is away from manual transmissions.

Most have hydrostatic... step one way go forward, a little more and go faster. Step the other way and reverse.

I really appreciate the Hydro for the loader work I do and it works great on the hills... never use the brake anymore.

Old 03-27-2011, 01:08 AM

3,046 posts, read 6,257,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleet View Post
That is somewhat of a generalization.

Many, many Americans prefer cars with manual transmissions. I am not one of those because I like '60s and '70s Cadillacs and a manual trans on those cars would not make sense.

And also because I like '60s/early '70s Mopars and while their 4-speed manual trans was okay, the 3-speed automatic (Torqueflite) trans was an excellent and very reliable trans.

BTW, if you think more Americans should drive a manual because it requires more effort, should cars have manual chokes like they used to have? Or how about disconnecting the anti-lock brake system so drivers don't just "push the go pedal, push the stop pedal?"

Oh boy, don't get upset, but the 64 caddy we put a 4 speed in was alot of fun! And we sold it to a guy that wanted it BECAUSE it had the 4 speed! He said that is what Caddy should have offered in all thier cars! I agree! That 64 ran better and got about 2 mpg better with the stick too.

Old 03-27-2011, 01:11 AM

3,046 posts, read 6,257,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deez Nuttz View Post

I could with a 6 speed stick in my truck! LOL But personally I think it should be a special order only to be able to get an automatic in most cars and all trucks!

Old 03-27-2011, 01:16 AM

15,088 posts, read 13,384,494 times
Americans prefer automatics because it leaves your hands more free to hold your Starbucks latte while texting on your cell phone.

Old 03-27-2011, 01:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12GO View Post
Oh boy, don't get upset, but the 64 caddy we put a 4 speed in was alot of fun! And we sold it to a guy that wanted it BECAUSE it had the 4 speed! He said that is what Caddy should have offered in all thier cars! I agree! That 64 ran better and got about 2 mpg better with the stick too.
I'm not upset but really... how many people do that to a '60s Cadillac?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive