U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 08-11-2011, 07:58 AM

4,313 posts, read 4,529,486 times
Moderator cut: Removed reference to deleted comment.

I LIKE my BMW with it's automatic. I like my Dually with it's automatic, ai liked my Range Rovers with their automatics, and I liked my musclecars and race cars that had automatics. I ALSO like and specifically bought my Mustang and Mini with their manuals and I like good manual transmissions (and have had many over the years). I'm not lazy, but most importantly, I'm not closed minded and stupid. Unfortunately, I see that too many manual transmission nazis are both. And I'm going to speak out against it every time I see it.

I can like my large luxury sedan, my muscle car, my truck, and my sports cars. I can like my automatics and my manuals. It's not hard to do and anyone who doesn't even make the attempt to try is not worth respecting.

Last edited by JustJulia; 08-11-2011 at 09:47 AM.. Reason: The post you replied to was deleted
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2011, 10:34 AM

17,026 posts, read 12,400,078 times
manual transmission vehicles arent popular in the usa for the same reason chopsticks arent popular. they are primitive and inferior to modern alternatives.

Old 08-11-2011, 12:15 PM

4,466 posts, read 4,633,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merc63 View Post
I LIKE my BMW with it's automatic. I like my Dually with it's automatic, ai liked my Range Rovers with their automatics, and I liked my musclecars and race cars that had automatics. I ALSO like and specifically bought my Mustang and Mini with their manuals and I like good manual transmissions (and have had many over the years). I'm not lazy, but most importantly, I'm not closed minded and stupid. Unfortunately, I see that too many manual transmission nazis are both. And I'm going to speak out against it every time I see it.

I can like my large luxury sedan, my muscle car, my truck, and my sports cars. I can like my automatics and my manuals. It's not hard to do and anyone who doesn't even make the attempt to try is not worth respecting.
What Fleet, and it appears, you misunderstand though is the argument put forth by both me and some others here.

We do not dispute that you enjoy your automatic transmission car, we dispute the fact that we or to speak for myself, I don't, why do you have a problem with that?

The driving that I find fun takes place on a good windy, twisty road, full of blind curves, elevation changes etc etc, not in a straight line, speed is fun.... once or twice, after that, the novelty wears off for me, it's speed combined with corners that's enjoyable, and when I do the kind of driving I like, I want a manual transmission, I've done it several times with automatics, in cars that otherwise surprised me with their pace, but the automatic always took some of the joy out of it for me and some times it was even frustrating (slow), back in Norway I specifically didn't buy an automatic, 530 at one point because the test drive was uninspiring, and I love BMW and frankly, I think their automatics are pretty damn good.

I've driven the same route in a 54 hp Yaris and tons more fun, and it was a complete riot in a Ford Fiesta ST, so that's what gets me going when it comes to driving, a great road, and as long as the car has a manual, I can generally have fun with it, even if it's a slower car, automatics? To me I can see them making sense in Dallas, where there are no fun roads within about a 3 hour drive (Austin and hill country), because of that and the limited supply of cars equipped with a manual transmission here, I've decided to include Automatics in my search for some specific vehicles, that said, I'd probably rip my own hair out for it anytime I go down to Austin...

Old 08-11-2011, 12:25 PM

2,314 posts, read 1,752,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
manual transmission vehicles arent popular in the usa for the same reason chopsticks arent popular. they are primitive and inferior to modern alternatives.
Automatics in cheaper cars are still quite primitive. I would rather have a proper manual.

Old 08-11-2011, 09:17 PM

12,618 posts, read 12,785,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleet View Post
Why does it matter if there are cars from 2009 and later which need the automatic transmission fluid changed? First, it's not a major job and second it's no different from timing belts which need to be changed every 60,000 or so miles.
Have you completely ignored the reasons why I brought that up? I have said repeatedly that new automobiles with automatic transmissions require the fluid be changed around 30,000 miles, which in turn adds to the cost, specially those where the manufacturer recommends that the transmission be flushed before adding new fluid.

Some of the other posters brought-up some things about manual transmissions, and some others, including my, have done the same about automatic transmissions.

Old 08-11-2011, 10:27 PM

18,026 posts, read 14,825,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayinAK View Post
Have you completely ignored the reasons why I brought that up? I have said repeatedly that new automobiles with automatic transmissions require the fluid be changed around 30,000 miles, which in turn adds to the cost, specially those where the manufacturer recommends that the transmission be flushed before adding new fluid.

Some of the other posters brought-up some things about manual transmissions, and some others, including my, have done the same about automatic transmissions.
Have you completed ignored what I posted?

How is a car with an automatic transmission requiring regular fluid changes any different from a car which need regular changing of a timing belt?

Old 08-11-2011, 10:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
I don't understand why it's so hard for two particular posters in this forum to undertand that it's just not enjoyable for some people to step on a gas pedal and point the front wheels in some given direction and they want more driver involvement. If you two like automatics, great. Notice most manual-transmission fans don't argue the point ad nauseum. You might take a cue from them.
I wouldn't bother replying except when some people make ridiculous claims like "I have more control of the car when it has a manual transmission" and "a car with an automatic is no fun to drive."

Maybe most manual transmission fans should agree (or admit) that there are plenty of cars with an automatic transmission which are fun to drive?

Old 08-11-2011, 10:34 PM

35,640 posts, read 53,228,923 times
Quote:
I wouldn't bother replying except when some people make ridiculous claims like "I have more control of the car when it has a manual transmission" and "a car with an automatic is no fun to drive."

Maybe most manual transmission fans should agree (or admit) that there are plenty of cars with an automatic transmission which are fun to drive?
I'll agree to admit that they're fun for you to drive if you'll admit that other's just. don't. agree. Really, how hard is that? I don't begrudge your preference. I would appreciate the same courtesy.

Old 08-12-2011, 12:10 AM

12,618 posts, read 12,785,117 times
Quote:
Have you completed ignored what I posted?

How is a car with an automatic transmission requiring regular fluid changes any different from a car which need regular changing of a timing belt?
??
All automobiles that have timing belts require these be replaced at regular intervals, regardless of the type of transmission you car has. The transmission has nothing to do with the timing belt. Automatic transmission fluids in newer automobiles require replacing at regular intervals, which in turn adds to the cost. Some require that the fluid be flushed or completely drained at stages before adding the new fluid.

Old 08-12-2011, 12:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayinAK View Post
??
All automobiles that have timing belts require these be replaced at regular intervals, regardless of the type of transmission you car has. The transmission has nothing to do with the timing belt. Automatic transmission fluids in newer automobiles require replacing at regular intervals, which in turn adds to the cost. Some require that the fluid be flushed or completely drained at stages before adding the new fluid.
What I'm saying is that just because something needs to be serviced at certain miles doesn't make it less desirable. Also, a transmission flush is much easier and less expensive than replacing a timing belt. So, going by what you said, all cars with timing belts should be avoided!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive