U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-05-2011, 07:37 AM

8,402 posts, read 20,278,925 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheViking85 View Post
1. I can easily manage to mechanically drive my manual transmission car while completing all the tasks you mention, I tend not to, because I prefer to keep my concentration on the road, but it's never been a problem to do it if I so wish. I do occasionally eat as well as drink and after I had shoulder surgery I used my left hand to change gears for a few weeks, it's not really that hard.

2. I actually disagree. Operating a manual transmission is very easy, for everyday and doesn't take much skill, imo. Hill starts can be challenging for some, but thats what the e-brake is for, other than that it's my experience that most people manage smooths starts etc on their first or second time driving a car with a manual transmission, getting good enough for everyday driving isn't all that hard of a thing to do.

4. I've actually driven manual cars with column shifters, so they do exist, people just tend to prefer it on the console. Most consoles still have a storage box/arm rest as well as cup holders, (my car has 2 large ones).

5. Though I have no reason to dougt that, I do think it has more to do with what sells, most of the car companies here do offer a manual, if they sell their cars on the European market, Ford for instance have several manual transmissions to chose from that all fit in very compact sized cars.
You use the e-brake for hill-holding? Wuss.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayinAK View Post
Yes, and that's the reason why the most expensive and powerful sports cars in the world are offered with a manual transmission. Such automobiles are often special-ordered by buyers who want exactly that feature. But some can be had with a hybrid transmission.
Except for Ferrari, which does not currently offer an actual manual transmission.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2011, 08:05 AM

2 posts, read 1,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vmaxnc View Post
You use the e-brake for hill-holding? Wuss.

Except for Ferrari, which does not currently offer an actual manual transmission.
True, though they do fit them in by custom request. It seems everyone's in on the DSG system. Though I believe Porsche still offers manual transmission, and some other lesser known performance cars.

Though I can imagine manual is getting less and less popular, I find it hard to believe a whole bunch of Ferrari customers would stop using manual transmission just like that.

Old 11-05-2011, 01:19 PM

22,362 posts, read 27,502,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lala1987 View Post
Not entirely, with an automatic you do have less control. This is not really a debatable point, and this is especially so with CVT's and the more advanced automatic transmissions of today.
You also have "more control" with a manual choke. Does your car have that? As for "less control," that's depends more with the driver than what type of transmission it has. A transmission is just one part of managing a car... there is also steering, brakes, suspension, etc.

Quote:
Definitely not to the same degree as a manual. Driving enthusiasts and race car drivers regularly heel-toe, and that is something you can't do on an automatic. Formula 1 videos have great examples of this in the 80's and early 90's before they switched to semi's.
Many driving enthusiasts also do fine in cars with an automatic.

Quote:
This is lame, and just as "cool" as claiming to shift manually with an automatic transmission. People who usually stick to manuals do it for the experience and the advanced techniques you can do with it as opposed to an automatic transmission.
Nothing "lame" about it. I have driven a few cars and shift them manually about 50% of the time (former '66 Dart GT V-8 and current '66 Plymouth Fury 383. Believe me, I have had a lot of fun driving cars like those over the past 30 years. And it certainly is true that cars with automatics can do impressive burnouts. Would you like to see some evidence?

Quote:
If someone prefers automatic that's up to them, there are many legitimate reasons for not wanting to drive manual, but a lot of what you've posted here is nonsense
With moderate-to-high powered cars, they way the car shifts into another gear is not the most desirable feature. What "nonsense" did I post?

Old 11-05-2011, 01:21 PM

12,264 posts, read 15,130,689 times
Because you can't drink your coffee and talk on the phone while you are shifting.

Old 11-05-2011, 03:13 PM

8,402 posts, read 20,278,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lala1987 View Post
True, though they do fit them in by custom request. It seems everyone's in on the DSG system. Though I believe Porsche still offers manual transmission, and some other lesser known performance cars.

Though I can imagine manual is getting less and less popular, I find it hard to believe a whole bunch of Ferrari customers would stop using manual transmission just like that.
My experience with half a dozen people I know who own Ferraris is that none of them care about getting the max performance out of their cars. I'd be willing to bet that a very high percentage of Ferrari (and most supercar) owners don't drive their cars past 70% more often than the first two gears, and even that only occasionally.

Old 11-05-2011, 03:18 PM

55,495 posts, read 74,394,948 times
i love them but just try to buy one under 200k miles. thanks to the obama cash for cars programs used cars are hard to get. they are out there u just gota try harder than b4.

Old 11-05-2011, 03:22 PM

24,503 posts, read 35,336,300 times
I like the control and feeling of a manual... but I prefer the fuel efficiency and convenience of my automatics. Especially with my driving patterns recently. I have to stop a lot during rush hour.

Old 11-05-2011, 06:08 PM

3,383 posts, read 7,105,774 times
How does an auto provide more efficiency? If anything a manual allows you to control this more.

I prefer manuals.

Sent from my autocorrect butchering device.

Old 11-05-2011, 06:09 PM

3,383 posts, read 7,105,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pvande55 View Post
Because you can't drink your coffee and talk on the phone while you are shifting.
You can.... One of my greatest feats.... Talking on phone, drinking a drink, paying a toll, in the rain with a crank window.

That was all American....

Sent from my autocorrect butchering device.

Old 11-05-2011, 06:22 PM

24,683 posts, read 45,181,098 times
That's just part of the progressive process of automation. Now we have cars that self-park, and I won't be surprised if self-driving cars attain some degree of popularity, controlled by some GPS/sensor. I think that would be going a bit far though.

I just drive an auto because I want to drive from A to B with the last hassle. I see no point in 'performance' if the speed limit is so low anyway.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive