U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 11-05-2011, 06:44 PM
 
24,511 posts, read 34,130,468 times
Reputation: 12779

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MustangEater82 View Post
How does an auto provide more efficiency? If anything a manual allows you to control this more.
Automatic allows you to opt for hybrid variants. I have two hybrids (Nissan Altima Hybrid and Mercedes S400 Hybrid). Due to the nature of hybrids, there have been very few manual offerings (the only one I know is an early civic) .

Hybrids are more fuel efficient. Also, regenerative breaking rocks.

Last edited by NJBest; 11-05-2011 at 08:01 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 11-05-2011, 06:50 PM
 
Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
20,793 posts, read 37,464,612 times
Reputation: 20848
Quote:
Originally Posted by pvande55 View Post
Because you can't drink your coffee and talk on the phone while you are shifting.


Really?, I do lots of stuff while shifting, even while running a double stick (two transmissions, as in older semi trucks. Some have 3 gearboxes, ez to 'get lost' trying to figure out which combination of gears you want ).

You can loop your arm through the steering wheel or steer with your knee. (or sometimes your chin if you are grabbing something off the floor. )


Automatics are preferred in US for MANY reasons, including employers who are tired of fixing clutch and drive-train problems. Of course AAMCO (and others) have a serious lobby to keep Automatics as primary USA tranny.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-05-2011, 07:48 PM
 
Location: Dallas, TX
4,464 posts, read 9,634,495 times
Reputation: 2819
Quote:
Originally Posted by vmaxnc View Post
You use the e-brake for hill-holding? Wuss.
Hey now, I said some found it challenging, I didn't say I found it challenging.

I grew up on the Norwegian coast line which equals a city made up of nothing but hills.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-05-2011, 08:28 PM
 
Location: Summerville, SC
3,383 posts, read 6,840,327 times
Reputation: 1434
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
Automatic allows you to opt for hybrid variants. I have two hybrids (Nissan Altima Hybrid and Mercedes S400 Hybrid). Due to the nature of hybrids, there have been very few manual offerings (the only one I know is an early civic) .

Hybrids are more fuel efficient. Also, regenerative breaking rocks.
That is a poor answer....

Manualys generally have an extra gear, even so a driver can short shift and keep the recent below 2k, also it allows for compression braking in every gear as you decelerate, which cuts fuel to the engine until you get around 1500 rpms.

Manual models almost always have a better epa rating.... And if you want to get into efficiency, manuals have less drivetrain power loss from engine to wheels.


As for hybrids... Come on...

Sent from my autocorrect butchering device.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-05-2011, 08:48 PM
 
24,511 posts, read 34,130,468 times
Reputation: 12779
Quote:
Originally Posted by MustangEater82 View Post
That is a poor answer....

Manualys generally have an extra gear, even so a driver can short shift and keep the recent below 2k, also it allows for compression braking in every gear as you decelerate, which cuts fuel to the engine until you get around 1500 rpms.

Manual models almost always have a better epa rating.... And if you want to get into efficiency, manuals have less drivetrain power loss from engine to wheels.


As for hybrids... Come on...

Sent from my autocorrect butchering device.

Your answer is a poor answer since I am explicitly talking about hybrids here (which are mostly available in automatics only). They are more efficient than manuals. If you think otherwise, you don't know much about hybrids. My engine shuts OFF up until 40MPH.... and when braking, the transmission stores the [otherwise wasted] energy into the battery.

And when it comes to drivetrain powerloss, remember that a hybrid has an electric motor. Electric motors deliver constant torque at all RPMs... while ICE is variable and usually provide rated torque at limited RPM intervals.

These are reasons why automatics can be more attractive than manuals. The only thing manual has left is being fun to drive. My BMW was manual... but it is no longer :-(.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-05-2011, 09:02 PM
 
Location: Summerville, SC
3,383 posts, read 6,840,327 times
Reputation: 1434
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
Your answer is a poor answer since I am explicitly talking about hybrids here (which are mostly available in automatics only). They are more efficient than manuals. If you think otherwise, you don't know much about hybrids. My engine shuts OFF up until 40MPH.... and when braking, the transmission stores the [otherwise wasted] energy into the battery.

And when it comes to drivetrain powerloss, remember that a hybrid has an electric motor. Electric motors deliver constant torque at all RPMs... while ICE is variable and usually provide rated torque at limited RPM intervals.

These are reasons why automatics can be more attractive than manuals. The only thing manual has left is being fun to drive. My BMW was manual... but it is no longer :-(.
So now we want to compare apples to oranges? Why are you even bringing up hybrids. Do we need to get into the true carbon footprint of hybrids vs gasoline cars. What about small displacement manual cars making more fuel mileage then hybrids?

Do we want to compare the economy of a compressed natural gas car with a manual transmission?


I am still confused as to why you are bringing up a hybrid in a auto vs manual debate. Do power Windows mean you get better fuel mileage too since hybrids come with power Windows?

Sent from my autocorrect butchering device.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-05-2011, 09:13 PM
 
24,511 posts, read 34,130,468 times
Reputation: 12779
Quote:
Originally Posted by MustangEater82 View Post
So now we want to compare apples to oranges? Why are you even bringing up hybrids. Do we need to get into the true carbon footprint of hybrids vs gasoline cars. What about small displacement manual cars making more fuel mileage then hybrids?

Do we want to compare the economy of a compressed natural gas car with a manual transmission?


I am still confused as to why you are bringing up a hybrid in a auto vs manual debate. Do power Windows mean you get better fuel mileage too since hybrids come with power Windows?

Sent from my autocorrect butchering device.
It relates to the thread, that's why I brought it up. You might want to read the OP. This thread is not a debate of automatic vs manual transmission. It is an attempt to understand why automatic transmissions are popular despite the listed benefits of manual transmissions. I've explained that one of the reasons is that manual transmissions don't hold the edge in many of the areas they used to.

I went from a series of manual transmissions to automatic transmissions. I simply explained why. I don't see why that's so hard for you to follow.

You can't relate natural gas as to why automatics have become so popular since natural gasoline cars are not widely adopted.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-06-2011, 10:34 AM
 
Location: Summerville, SC
3,383 posts, read 6,840,327 times
Reputation: 1434
You are using the hybrid as an example even though it is not mainstream. There is also a large part of the world that think hybrids are not the way to go.

Sent from my autocorrect butchering device.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-06-2011, 12:38 PM
 
Location: USA - midwest
5,945 posts, read 4,714,576 times
Reputation: 2606
Default Why are manual transmission vehicles unpopular in the USA?

Short answer: most Americans can't drive them.

Practical answer: most American drivers probably have to deal with city traffic. Auto transmissions are much superior to manual in stop-go-creep-forward-a-few-yards situations.

I know. I've driven both in those conditions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-06-2011, 01:14 PM
 
Location: Scranton
1,384 posts, read 2,614,975 times
Reputation: 1639
Quote:
Originally Posted by wade52 View Post
Short answer: most Americans can't drive them.

Practical answer: most American drivers probably have to deal with city traffic.
Unfortunately, this is the sad truth. I personally prefer stick, and all my cars are stick, but you can't find a lot of people that knows how to drive one anymore. Even where I work, they're buying a lot of dump trucks with Allison automatics, despite their lower performance, higher purchasing cost, higher maintenance cost, and lower fuel economy. And the reason why they're doing it is simple: they can't find enough drivers that can properly operate a non-synchro manual tranny.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top