U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-18-2014, 08:28 PM

12,971 posts, read 22,699,699 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wartrace View Post
How can you *** on the cell phone when you have to shift?
Exactly. One hand on the wheel, other hand full of cell phone... the average American doesn't have another hand free with which to shift.

I'm not even crazy about paddle shifters, because I might have to put down my cheeseburger to use them.

I learned to drive decades ago on a Link trainer with clutch and floor mounted shift lever, and I can grease a shift so well it's hard for passengers to tell when I shifted if the sound system is cranked up. I still drive a pickup with a clutch and a floor mounted shift lever for hauling mulch and lumber, but I sure do find it inconvenient in rush hour traffic when it is dark and rainy. So I avoid rush hour traffic as much as possible. Why make myself crazy?

I think the Tesla S has the ideal setup, to tell the truth. It has a single gear, and the entire speed range is governed by the electric motor control, and it has torque across the whole speed range that makes it all work brilliantly. Just a Go pedal and a brake. What more do you really need?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2014, 10:28 PM

1,384 posts, read 2,622,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merc63 View Post
Also, Europeans moving to the US often specifically choose larger, automatic equipped cars that they may not normally get (or be able to get) in Europe. Do they suddenly get lazy when they move here, or is it possible that they simply find that they no longer are forced into a small engine, manual trans car and choose luxury?
How many large manual transmission cars are available in the US? With very few exceptions, if you want to drive a manual transmission car, your choices are limited to sports cars or entry level cars. The mentality here is that if buy a stick shift is because you can't afford an automatic.
Quote:
Originally Posted by holzhaus123 View Post
What about Motorcycles? Do they all have automatic too in the U.S.?
Most motorcycles are still manual.

Old 06-18-2014, 11:33 PM

93 posts, read 75,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by d4g4m View Post
Coordinate right foot on accelerator, left foot on clutch, left hand on steering wheel, right hand on shifter. Do all of this to match engine rpm with a gear and speed.
I know too many people that can't walk and chew gum at the same time, so I would not expect them to drive a manual trans vehicle. Besides, even if they could, it's too difficult to send a text message.
But wondering how did grandma do it back in the forties, and with no power steering or brakes.
When I read this I remember when I was a Boy my father had a R 4 (Renault 4) with a revolver shift (I mean the stick). Between the shifting from one gear to the other he had to give gas (between gas). He said it was the same with the citroen duck (does anyone of you know this one?).

I'm not from the East but they had the cars Trabi (Trabant) and Wartburg in East Germany. After the reunification they drove them here, too. They where very Special in driving, too.

None of all those cars had an air condition, no servo break and no servo wheel.

Old 06-18-2014, 11:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trucker7 View Post
How many large manual transmission cars are available in the US? With very few exceptions, if you want to drive a manual transmission car, your choices are limited to sports cars or entry level cars. The mentality here is that if buy a stick shift is because you can't afford an automatic.

Most motorcycles are still manual.
Do they have scooters over there? Youngsters love to drive them. They all have Automatic even down in Italy and in Greece but I never saw a real motorcycle with an autom.

Old 06-18-2014, 11:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyRider View Post
Another why-aren't-Americans-more-like-Europeans? thread. and just in time for the World Cup, we are about to be bombarded with the quadrennial question: why don't Americans like soccer.

As to the question itself, the answer is simple. AT is a luxury option that Europeans apparently can't afford.
The whole world Plays Soccer and you guys live in a parallel universe. No other Country exept Canada cares for American Football. Come on and start playing Soccer. The Mexicans and Hispanics in your country do too, when I was over there I joined them.

World Cup - World Cup - World Cup

Old 06-19-2014, 12:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffdano View Post
Your last statement is just silly. Europeans in general can afford most of what Americans can afford. They have choices for automatic transmissions. They just buy a lot more manual transmission cars that we do.

But not Porsche or Ferrari. Most Porsche cars worldwide now are sold with sophisticated automatics. I bet almost all Jaguars have an automatic.
Not all Europeans have the same attitude to cars. To Germans it is an object of Prestige like to Americans but to the French and spaniards it is just an object for use. If you damage a Car of a German even just a little you will be involved in a fight but if you damage a car of a French and he is still sitting in it he woudn't even step out. It would be egal to him. So French People only buy small and inexpensive cars (Renault, Citroen) according to why to spend more? The French spend their Money in meals, manche, manche, manche, that is their heaven.

Old 06-19-2014, 12:54 AM

1,955 posts, read 2,889,891 times
Quote:
Do they have scooters over there? Youngsters love to drive them. They all have Automatic even down in Italy and in Greece but I never saw a real motorcycle with an autom.
We have scooters here. They're not super common where I live, but they're around. Everything from little Vespas to maxi-scooters like the Burgman and Silver Wing, where the difference from a motorcycle is the transmission and slightly smaller wheels.

Old 06-19-2014, 01:10 AM

48,519 posts, read 81,246,246 times
I can remember when standard shifts were the norm; then Oldsmobile came out with the hydromatic. That is when people started to prefer automatics .Guess its like Football versus Soccer its just a thing Americans prefer except in certain types of vehicles. In the end just like cars; Americans and Europeans have never really grown to like the same things in vehicles overall.

Old 06-19-2014, 01:37 AM

7,653 posts, read 14,800,687 times
Americans like to play and watch their children (both girls and boys) play soccer on school or club teams. They just aren't into the professional soccer scene. Interesting to bring this up as I just paused Bend It Like Beckham, which strangely filled me with nostalgic memories of our soccer games during school recess and my temporary height advantage which was a major self esteem booster for somebody put in "special" P.E!

As for why we prefer autos to manuals: well, in the first place, we're lazy. Many, if not most, Americans see their car as a way to get to work and home and back. Only in the late teens (in my experience) do you really have the gearheads and "car scene"; then it's college, and then it's founding a family, etc. Maybe when you retire you get to go on a classic car frenzy.

Old 06-19-2014, 01:38 AM

1,955 posts, read 2,889,891 times
Quote:
The whole world Plays Soccer and you guys live in a parallel universe. No other Country exept Canada cares for American Football. Come on and start playing Soccer. The Mexicans and Hispanics in your country do too, when I was over there I joined them.

World Cup - World Cup - World Cup
A lot of people play soccer here. Most schools have a sports program that includes soccer. It's just the advancement pretty much ends at college because the professional league gets no love.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive