U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-19-2014, 08:59 AM

5,229 posts, read 11,551,414 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by deevel79 View Post
Lazy = doing less work than you have to or taking the easy way out.

I don't know if I'd generalize that much.

Lazy has a negative connotation, while working hard to gain luxury or convenience items doesn't seem lazy. Is it lazy to have indoor plumbing rather than a functional outhouse? Not really. Is it lazy to take you pickup to the Home Depot to pick up 20 bags of mulch rather than walk there and hand carry them home one bag at a time? I woudln't say so.
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2014, 09:01 AM

41,505 posts, read 49,820,527 times
I started off with manual transmission British sports cars and worked my way to automatic tranny Subaru's, Buick Station Wagons and, now, a big (650 Burgman) scooter with a CVT (continuously variable ratio) drive system. The scooter has a "manual" push button alternative but I think the CVT does a better job and lets me concentrate on the riding instead of engine RPM and what not.

I was recently driving the Subaru legacy Wagon on West Virginia mountain roads and did use the gear selector part of the automatic to avoid down shifts in the middle of hairpin corners. The car seemed easier to drive in that mode.

Old 06-19-2014, 09:08 AM

4,932 posts, read 5,579,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merc63 View Post
I don't know if I'd generalize that much.

Lazy has a negative connotation, while working hard to gain luxury or convenience items doesn't seem lazy. Is it lazy to have indoor plumbing rather than a functional outhouse? Not really. Is it lazy to take you pickup to the Home Depot to pick up 20 bags of mulch rather than walk there and hand carry them home one bag at a time? I woudln't say so.
Bad analogy. One is realistic while the other isnt. There's nothing wrong with people choosing auto over manual. I can care less as I've had my fair share of both. I'm not saying that in every single case those who choose not to drive manual are lazy, but in my experiences, those who know how to drive stick but rather not do so because it just requires more work than a conventional auto tranny. If I didnt live in a congested city I would prefer a manual myself depending on the car.

Old 06-19-2014, 09:10 AM

93 posts, read 75,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffdano View Post
But lots of Europe and rest of world plays basketball. And Asia and Latin America plays baseball. Bulgaria likes to lift weights, but we don't care about much about that.

We also don't riot after most sports events. You guys can keep that.
About Basketball, Handball, Volleyball: They care for it secondarily.

Old 06-19-2014, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deevel79 View Post
Lazy = doing less work than you have to or taking the easy way out.

I have owned several manual transmission cars in my life time. Nowadays I prefer an auto with a tip tronic gearbox. I live in NYC and manual tranny's arent practical. Many people I know prefer not to drive manual because they flat out say "its too much work".
I don't like to clean my home (I hate handling the dirty floor water) and it is too much work to me anyways. Would you call me lazy if I would by me a household Roboter?

Old 06-19-2014, 09:22 AM

1,862 posts, read 2,161,399 times
I used to drive 30,000 miles a year. When I had manual transmissions, I was replacing the clutch every 2 years. Now that I have automatics the maintenance is much easier and my operating expense is less.

I had up 4 manual transmissioned vehicles at the same time back then and it seamed like I was always replacing a clutch.

Old 06-19-2014, 09:24 AM

10,412 posts, read 8,412,817 times
How much stop and go driving do you do "OP"?

Old 06-19-2014, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garthur View Post
I used to drive 30,000 miles a year. When I had manual transmissions, I was replacing the clutch every 2 years. Now that I have automatics the maintenance is much easier and my operating expense is less.

I had up 4 manual transmissioned vehicles at the same time back then and it seamed like I was always replacing a clutch.
Do you live at the countryside?

Old 06-19-2014, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pretzelogik View Post
How much stop and go driving do you do "OP"?
Yes, you have to replace the clutch that often.

Old 06-19-2014, 09:32 AM

4,932 posts, read 5,579,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garthur View Post

Did you know how to properly drive manual? Under normal driving conditions a clutch can/should last a very long time! I've had cars with over 100k miles with its original clutch.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive