U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-20-2014, 12:49 PM

38,691 posts, read 87,088,061 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PokerMunkee View Post
The majority of the manual lovers don't embrace technology. They will also be the ones who insist on turning a key in the ignition while all new cars have push button starts. Probably also complain you can't get crank windows anymore. But they don't tend to buy new cars, so the auto companies will continue to make fewer manual cars.
What is your evidence for any of these bizarre assertions?

Quote:
I welcome the day when all cars are automatics.
Why? As long as you have access to the transmission of your choice, why wouldn't you want the same for others?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2014, 12:58 PM

16,191 posts, read 27,571,922 times
Quote:
The majority of the manual lovers don't embrace technology. They will also be the ones who insist on turning a key in the ignition while all new cars have push button starts. Probably also complain you can't get crank windows anymore. But they don't tend to buy new cars, so the auto companies will continue to make fewer manual cars.

Well, I can't agree with your views above. If what you said was true, then we would still be driving manual transmissions without synchronized gears and 6-speed forward, without hydraulic clutch (or dual clutches), and we would have to double clutch to get the transmission in gear.

What has happened in the US is that we have become fat, couch potato, and inpatient. We want anything that makes our lives "easy" such as automatic transmissions. We even want cameras to provide a view of what's behind the vehicle, because the layer of fat on our necks makes it difficult to look around.

~Kidding with you

Old 06-20-2014, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishtom29 View Post
Few who've done physically rigorous work seek more of it. However it might make some who do sedentary work feel "tool satisfaction" to work a standard shift.

Given the state of modern automatics I think stick shifts are often an affectation.
That may be true, but mostly in the US. Go overseas and most of the automobiles have manual transmissions.

Old 06-20-2014, 01:08 PM

38,691 posts, read 87,088,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayinAK View Post
That may be true, but mostly in the US. Go overseas and most of the automobiles have manual transmissions.
Most of them also have wheezer engines that really suck with automatic transmissions. Move into higher-end cars with actual power and automatics are a lot more common.

Old 06-20-2014, 06:41 PM

2,630 posts, read 2,312,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiroptera View Post
I grew up in Europe and still visit; manual trans cars are still common there. In fact, last time I was in the UK, it was cheaper to rent a manual trans car than an automatic - do US rental agencies even rent manual vehicles, exotics excepted?

Anyhow - to this day I vastly prefer them. For many reasons:
More power and performance. (More fun!)
Better control in adverse or hilly conditions.
Cheaper - better gas mileage, less brake wear, much cheaper to replace - my 1995 Nissan beater pick-up with almost 250,000 miles still has the original clutch.
When my Chevy Venture needed a new transmission at 160,000 miles, the cost of having it done at a shop almost exceeded the value of the van; I sold it.

I've also owned a Saab Viggen and a Porsche 944S - both very nice sports cars and I cannot imagine them being nearly as much FUN to drive with an automatic! I adore driving, though.

The Advantages of Buying a Manual-Transmission Vehicle — Edmunds.com

"There is no question that manual transmissions "resonate with customers who still enjoy the act of driving," said Marie.
...To many people, driving is just getting from Point A to Point B. ... In recent years, consumers have been willing to pay more, get fewer miles per gallon and have less control of the vehicle all for the sake of convenience."

I've asked people I know and the most common reason they prefer automatics is because they're "easier to drive in traffic." Maybe it's because I'm used to driving a standard, I don't put any conscious thought into it; in fact it's automatic. LOL.

Is it a convenience factor? Are newer automatics better, cost-wise? (I haven't owned anything newer than ten years old in several years but the article I linked to suggests they are.)

An aside - I think driving a standard makes a person a better driver, because it's a bit more interactive. For several years back in the 1980s I drove a semi over the road; having 18 speeds does make you more conscious, especially when how you drive impacts fuel economy and your bottom line! (I was a company driver but got fuel bonuses.) Maybe I am an old fogey, but I also prefer stiffer steering and brakes and guages instead of warning lights; because it seems to me I pay more attention to the act of driving generally. I've driven hundreds of thousands of miles on several continents and different countries without an accident and I wonder if learning to drive in a more conscious, interactive way makes people more attentive drivers in general?
Just off the top of my head, I remember how much it sucked to be stuck in bumper-to-bumper rush hour traffic and how much it sucked driving a manual.

Also, many of us are developing problems in our knees and other joints that are not conducive to repetitive motions.

Old 06-20-2014, 07:24 PM

826 posts, read 969,625 times
Quote:

LOL What? Let me guess, you're mad because you can't drive a manual transmission?

I work in the IT field and drive an '06 GMC Canyon and an '05 GTO and both are manual. I love technology but I also love my manual transmissions too. I enjoy having complete control of my vehicles.

Old 06-20-2014, 07:55 PM

10,217 posts, read 18,212,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phlinak View Post

Also, many of us are developing problems in our knees and other joints that are not conducive to repetitive motions.
My wife has a screwed together knee, and some days it gave her trouble and made driving our last standard shift, a 2006 F-150, painful and difficult.

Old 06-20-2014, 08:04 PM

1,718 posts, read 1,540,488 times
I lived in Europe for a few years, and the road systems and terrain are vastly different. Also, Europeans will tow a small camper with about anything during August (try towing with an auto Fiesta!) With the exception of the ocaasional Stau (traffic jam on steriods on the autobahn), you rarely have stop and go traffic.

In the US, commutes are generally a stop and go situation, and people just don't tow much here. The road system were designed for cars (read straight and wide) as opposed to a goat path, modified to a cowpath, upgraded to handle an oxcart, then paved and widened to ensure mirrorson't scrape when passing by buildings in the little towns and villages.

Road systems and family sizes also account for why Europeans opt for smaller cars (not just standard tranny's) than Americans in general.

Old 06-20-2014, 08:16 PM

13,508 posts, read 15,154,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
What is your evidence for any of these bizarre assertions?

Why? As long as you have access to the transmission of your choice, why wouldn't you want the same for others?

His bizzareness. People like different things in cars. Look at the Genesis sedan or Taurus or most Lexus models... lots of people like the luxury features but don't really care about the "fun to drive" factor of a car.

Then there's me who is on the other end. If I could save a couple grand, I'd be cranking manual windows. About the only luxury feature I wouldn't give up to save enough bucks is air conditioning. I'd pay maybe $200 for push button start/proximity door locks. No skin off my back if someone else considers it a has-to-have feature. I'm completely comfortable being a cheap bastage and don't feel threatened by others feeling differently than me like many people do.

Old 06-21-2014, 02:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phlinak View Post
Just off the top of my head, I remember how much it sucked to be stuck in bumper-to-bumper rush hour traffic and how much it sucked driving a manual.

If you have bad knees driving manual could be problematic. But if you don't, there isn't a problem. I remember being stuck in bumper-to-bumper traffic in NY, and I didn't even think about it being a problem. But I was younger back then
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive