U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-22-2014, 02:33 PM

93 posts, read 75,514 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by holzhaus123 View Post
Do you live in the Country, because of all the garages you need? If I would like to have several cars I would have to rent different single garages at different Locations here in the City. At one of you pics you sent me there was a Little village. Is that where you live? The countryside Looks almost like here in central Europe.
a chevy pickup. I remember when I lived in Oklahoma City as a Youngster sitting on the back of it. Is that still allowed over there? Over here it would be a misdemeanor.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2014, 02:42 PM

5,229 posts, read 11,502,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by holzhaus123 View Post
a chevy pickup. I remember when I lived in Oklahoma City as a Youngster sitting on the back of it. Is that still allowed over there? Over here it would be a misdemeanor.
No, you're not supposed to ride in the back of one. People still do, though.

Old 06-22-2014, 05:06 PM

4,576 posts, read 9,096,180 times
I prefer a manual trans myself, and have one in my pickup, and car. My Jeep has an automatic and I like it, but having the control of a manual suites me.

Old 06-23-2014, 06:45 AM

1,369 posts, read 1,778,024 times
Last year I saw a Corvette at a rental place, and I wanted to rent it for a day, until I found out it had an automatic in it. A Corvette with an automatic is to me a disgusting idea. I just cannot see the point of that at all. The rental agent told me that I would never find a rental car with a manual transmission in it. So much for that idea.

Old 06-23-2014, 11:16 AM

1,105 posts, read 1,435,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PokerMunkee View Post
The majority of the manual lovers don't embrace technology. They will also be the ones who insist on turning a key in the ignition while all new cars have push button starts. Probably also complain you can't get crank windows anymore. But they don't tend to buy new cars, so the auto companies will continue to make fewer manual cars.

I welcome the day when all cars are automatics.
Well, say what you want about hand-cranked windows, but I've never had that system fail on me. Wish I could say the same for power windows. What a pain in the you-know-where when they don't work properly.

I love technology, when it makes things better. When it comes to many of the modern features of cars, however, the inconvenience when they fail outweighs all the convenience they offer when they work. Automatic transmissions and power windows are two such features.

Old 06-23-2014, 11:22 AM

5,229 posts, read 11,502,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoastalMaineiac View Post
Well, say what you want about hand-cranked windows, but I've never had that system fail on me. Wish I could say the same for power windows. What a pain in the you-know-where when they don't work properly.
I've had the gears come apart in manual crank windows before. Also had the armature fall apart and drop a window down into the door before.

Quote:
I love technology, when it makes things better. When it comes to many of the modern features of cars, however, the inconvenience when they fail outweighs all the convenience they offer when they work. Automatic transmissions and power windows are two such features.
Automatics have been around since the '40s. They are not "modern features." And they aren't some mystery magic box, either. First thing I ever rebuilt when I was 16 was the C6 automatic transmission in my '71 Torino GT. Took it all apart, replaced the seals and clutch packs, and put it back together. It worked.

Power windows also are a non issue in millions upon millions of modern cars.

Old 06-23-2014, 02:14 PM

17,502 posts, read 18,664,562 times
I've only had 1 power window failure in 30 years of driving various cars.

Old 06-23-2014, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merc63 View Post
I've had the gears come apart in manual crank windows before. Also had the armature fall apart and drop a window down into the door before.

Automatics have been around since the '40s. They are not "modern features." And they aren't some mystery magic box, either. First thing I ever rebuilt when I was 16 was the C6 automatic transmission in my '71 Torino GT. Took it all apart, replaced the seals and clutch packs, and put it back together. It worked.

Power windows also are a non issue in millions upon millions of modern cars.
What do you think about the BMW i8? The design is just mega cool. I didn't drive it yet but I will make a test drive one of the next weeks (on the Autobahn).

Old 06-23-2014, 02:38 PM

10,165 posts, read 18,152,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amylewis View Post
Last year I saw a Corvette at a rental place, and I wanted to rent it for a day, until I found out it had an automatic in it. A Corvette with an automatic is to me a disgusting idea. I just cannot see the point of that at all.
An F-15 doesn't have a manual trans either; just give it throttle and go like Hell.

Old 06-23-2014, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amylewis View Post
Last year I saw a Corvette at a rental place, and I wanted to rent it for a day, until I found out it had an automatic in it. A Corvette with an automatic is to me a disgusting idea. I just cannot see the point of that at all. The rental agent told me that I would never find a rental car with a manual transmission in it. So much for that idea.
a Corvette with an automatic. ha, ha, ha, this vehicle must be amputated.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive