U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 06-25-2014, 01:07 AM
 
1,407 posts, read 1,090,842 times
Reputation: 2058

Advertisements

I pefer manuals and am very dissapointed that the newer Honda CRV's are not offered in a manual.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 06-25-2014, 02:52 PM
 
Location: Munich, Bavaria, Germany
93 posts, read 75,754 times
Reputation: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
They more or less do, precisely because they are so advantageous. The driver still has to select the shift points himself, but that's only because fully automatic gearboxes are banned in F1. But the shift action is computer-automated and shifts happen far quicker than if performed by a human; the only thing the driver does is flick a lever with his fingers.

And you can't buy a new production Ferrari with a manual any more.
I agree concerning your 1st paragraph with you. It is a half-automatic or semi-automatic (automatic transmission which can be fixed on different gears and no clutch) like for example the BMW Alpina (finger lever). But concerning your last sentence I agree halfway with you.

In distinct to a semi-automatic, it has a clutch pedal for start. So to me it is a compromise between a manual and a semi-automatic.

What do you say to this?

By the way, every time I was driving a car with an automatic I just hated it.

An there is a good reason why fully automatic is banned in F1.

You were the one who complained my english. Thank you!

Last edited by holzhaus123; 06-25-2014 at 03:20 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-25-2014, 03:14 PM
 
Location: Chicago
38,691 posts, read 87,026,636 times
Reputation: 29357
Quote:
Originally Posted by holzhaus123 View Post
I agree concerning your 1st paragraph with you. It is a half-automatic or semi-automatic (automatic transmission which can be fixed on different gears and no clutch) like for example the BMW Alpina (finger lever). But concerning your last sentence I agree halfway with you.

In distinct to a semi-automatic, it has a clutch pedal for start. So to me it is a compromise between a manual and a semi-automatic.

What do you say to this?

By the way, every time I was driving a car with an automatic I just heated it.

An there is a good reason why fully automatic is banned in F1.

You were the one who complained my english. Thank you!
It's not that I "complained" your English, it's that I couldn't figure out what you were trying to say in that once instance. I'm not sure why you insist on revisiting the issue.

As to "what do you say to this," I say it's not true. Ferraris no longer have clutch pedals, for start or otherwise. They have two pedals now: accelerator and brake, just like a conventional automatic. The car can shift itself or you can choose the shift points with paddles, just like most conventional automatics currently in production (though some forgo the shift paddles for a console shift). The only practical difference is the mechanics of an automated clutch plate and flywheel setup versus a traditional torque-converter and planetary gearset automatic. While I prefer the precision of the dual-clutch transmissions versus conventional automatics, the latter are getting better and better, to the point where enthusiasts for instance can't stop singing the praises of BMW's conventional 8-speed automatic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-25-2014, 03:33 PM
 
Location: Munich, Bavaria, Germany
93 posts, read 75,754 times
Reputation: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
It's not that I "complained" your English, it's that I couldn't figure out what you were trying to say in that once instance. I'm not sure why you insist on revisiting the issue.

As to "what do you say to this," I say it's not true. Ferraris no longer have clutch pedals, for start or otherwise. They have two pedals now: accelerator and brake, just like a conventional automatic. The car can shift itself or you can choose the shift points with paddles, just like most conventional automatics currently in production (though some forgo the shift paddles for a console shift). The only practical difference is the mechanics of an automated clutch plate and flywheel setup versus a traditional torque-converter and planetary gearset automatic. While I prefer the precision of the dual-clutch transmissions versus conventional automatics, the latter are getting better and better, to the point where enthusiasts for instance can't stop singing the praises of BMW's conventional 8-speed automatic.
I appreciate your not beeing satisfied with my english, so I try to get better. My Thank You is meant positively. Did you ever learn a foreign language?

By the way I'm posting this while watching Soccer and I already drank some beer.

So, is that true. In the land of the ferrari (Italy) where they don't like automatic at all. In Italy about 98 % of all cars are Manual.

As for me I just can't stand easy drive eather.

WORLD CUP:

Honduras : Switzerland = 0 : 2 right now
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-25-2014, 03:34 PM
 
Location: Cape Coma Florida
1,369 posts, read 1,783,355 times
Reputation: 2922
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishtom29 View Post
An F-15 doesn't have a manual trans either; just give it throttle and go like Hell.
Yeah.... where can I rent an F-15, and why would I want to? Apples and oranges anyone?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-25-2014, 11:25 PM
 
Location: Not far from Fairbanks, AK
16,183 posts, read 27,542,524 times
Reputation: 11842
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
It's not that I "complained" your English, it's that I couldn't figure out what you were trying to say in that once instance. I'm not sure why you insist on revisiting the issue.

As to "what do you say to this," I say it's not true. Ferraris no longer have clutch pedals, for start or otherwise. They have two pedals now: accelerator and brake, just like a conventional automatic. The car can shift itself or you can choose the shift points with paddles, just like most conventional automatics currently in production (though some forgo the shift paddles for a console shift). The only practical difference is the mechanics of an automated clutch plate and flywheel setup versus a traditional torque-converter and planetary gearset automatic. While I prefer the precision of the dual-clutch transmissions versus conventional automatics, the latter are getting better and better, to the point where enthusiasts for instance can't stop singing the praises of BMW's conventional 8-speed automatic.
F1 cars still have a clutch that is used to start moving forward or reverse. After that, the clutch is not used.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-25-2014, 11:27 PM
 
Location: Not far from Fairbanks, AK
16,183 posts, read 27,542,524 times
Reputation: 11842
Quote:
Originally Posted by holzhaus123 View Post
I appreciate your not beeing satisfied with my english, so I try to get better. My Thank You is meant positively. Did you ever learn a foreign language?

By the way I'm posting this while watching Soccer and I already drank some beer.

So, is that true. In the land of the ferrari (Italy) where they don't like automatic at all. In Italy about 98 % of all cars are Manual.

As for me I just can't stand easy drive eather.

WORLD CUP:

Honduras : Switzerland = 0 : 2 right now
Your English is just fine.

I speak at least another language, and can understand a little Italiano, too. Also prefer manual to automatic transmissions, simply because that's what I learned to drive with. Anybody who spends time overseas soon realizes that driving a car with an automatic transmission can be troublesome. In the US? Not a problem since mostly automobiles have automatic transmissions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-26-2014, 04:39 AM
 
Location: Munich, Bavaria, Germany
93 posts, read 75,754 times
Reputation: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayinAK View Post
Your English is just fine.

I speak at least another language, and can understand a little Italiano, too. Also prefer manual to automatic transmissions, simply because that's what I learned to drive with. Anybody who spends time overseas soon realizes that driving a car with an automatic transmission can be troublesome. In the US? Not a problem since mostly automobiles have automatic transmissions.
You exactly know what's going on. What does an American who never learned to drive a manual when renting a car in Italy for example? Here in Germany the rental places have got enough automatic cars.
But mostly woman, older men and handicapped people drive automatic here.

So you know the F1-cars still have a clutch pedal, too.

About the World Cup Game Germany : USA today. What do you think?



Greetings to Alaska, I've never been there but to the Northwest Territories in Canada in 1986.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-28-2014, 07:48 PM
 
Location: Not far from Fairbanks, AK
16,183 posts, read 27,542,524 times
Reputation: 11842
Quote:
Originally Posted by holzhaus123 View Post
You exactly know what's going on. What does an American who never learned to drive a manual when renting a car in Italy for example? Here in Germany the rental places have got enough automatic cars.
But mostly woman, older men and handicapped people drive automatic here.

So you know the F1-cars still have a clutch pedal, too.

About the World Cup Game Germany : USA today. What do you think?



Greetings to Alaska, I've never been there but to the Northwest Territories in Canada in 1986.
I don't get too exited about soccer, but do when watching any races from F1 (motorcycle, and car); also Indy and NASCAR. I was born overseas, but have never been to Europe. Would like to drive a "sporty" BMW with a manual transmission somewhere in the countryside of Germany or Italy, or just along the coastlines of Spain. Now, all I can do is dream.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-28-2014, 07:50 PM
 
Location: Clovis Strong, NM
3,378 posts, read 4,577,771 times
Reputation: 1953
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayinAK View Post
The average driver creeps forward too fast when stuck in traffic (this is a "jack rabbit driver"). But the experienced driver does not, regardless if the transmission is manual or not. For example, if the traffic is at a standstill and you are driving a car, put it on "park" and turn the motor off if you like, or just keep it idling (that's up to you).

But if the traffic is just moving slowly, set the automatic transmission to D, and don't press the gas pedal unless you have to. If you are driving manual, do the same, except that you shift the transmission the lowest gear possible to maintain a very slow and constant speed. If you do this with a manual transmission, you won't have to constantly mess around with the clutch.

Those of you have no idea of what I am talking about, watch how a big rig driver acts in heavy traffic or a jamb, or just when he or she approaches a traffic light that's turning red. There are a lot of older tractors with manual transmission on the US roads, and these too get stuck in traffic jambs like we do. If you still don't understand, then I have no idea what to say
Any truck driver that doesn't want to drive a manual is just a steering wheel holder.

Not to mention they're trash when they're stuck in ice/snow.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top