U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-28-2014, 09:47 PM

10,182 posts, read 18,176,347 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bentstrider View Post
Any truck driver that doesn't want to drive a manual is just a steering wheel holder.
Nevertheless, he's driving a truck. Doing a job, making a living, putting bread on the table. Good things, right?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2014, 01:41 PM

3,375 posts, read 4,570,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishtom29 View Post
Nevertheless, he's driving a truck. Doing a job, making a living, putting bread on the table. Good things, right?
So I might be a hateful person, but yeah they're doing their job so got to keep the complaints down to a minimum.
Only time something like that would really bother me is if the company I happen to be driving for decides to dump their manuals as well and go with automatics.

If that happens, time for me to bone out and get lost.

As for the original post, I'm still irritated over the fact that manuals in smaller pickups and such are hard to come by.
It's not so much fuel efficiency as it is mechanical simplicity for me.

Old 06-29-2014, 03:53 PM

774 posts, read 1,831,820 times
Yep, I just sold my 1999 Ranger pickup - 5 speed- for $2000- and I probably could have held out for quite a bit more.

Mechanical simplicity is a good was to put it..and.....it just makes the vehicle so much more fun to drive.

Mikey

Old 06-29-2014, 04:52 PM

2,775 posts, read 2,595,881 times
It's just because of laziness... automatic transmissions make driving simpler to learn (and people that have never driven stick have no idea the fun they are missing). That said, every manual/stick-shift driver I have ever been a passenger with have proven to be better and more alert drivers (men and women alike).

I started with a manual for my first vehicle, briefly went a few years with nothing but automatics, and have returned to manual and have no interest ever going back. I love the involvement in selecting the gears, and the forced attention I have to what's actually happening with the vehicle and whatever is going on around me (there's literally no opportunity to text, call, or play with the radio when driving manual).

Old 06-29-2014, 09:19 PM

2,721 posts, read 7,486,212 times
One of the best cars I've owned was a 1995 Civic SI with a 5 spd manual. The engine and transmission was swapped later for a Integra type-R motor(built with cams and all the NA goodies)/trans (also 5 spd). This Car was a rocket and fun to drive. I put an aftermarket exhaust system that wasn't loud and raspy to ruin the car, and pretty much looked stock except for coil overs with light weight wheels (wheels were 14 lbs each), and some sticky street tires. This car would have not been the same if it was an automatic.

Old 06-29-2014, 11:04 PM

16,178 posts, read 27,511,920 times
What would be nice is to have a 6-speed manual transmission on my 1988 GMC Sierra step-side, instead of the 5-sped it now has. The 350 motor has plenty of power for cruising at 45 MPH on 5th gear, so another gear would keep the RPM around 1,700 while moving around 70MPH. It would be quite an improvement relating to miles per gallon

Old 07-03-2014, 12:38 PM

93 posts, read 75,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayinAK View Post
What would be nice is to have a 6-speed manual transmission on my 1988 GMC Sierra step-side, instead of the 5-sped it now has. The 350 motor has plenty of power for cruising at 45 MPH on 5th gear, so another gear would keep the RPM around 1,700 while moving around 70MPH. It would be quite an improvement relating to miles per gallon
Just do it, look and you will see!

Old 07-03-2014, 12:47 PM

2,256 posts, read 3,396,448 times
Quote:
F1 cars still have a clutch that is used to start moving forward or reverse. After that, the clutch is not used.
Quote:
Originally Posted by holzhaus123 View Post
You exactly know what's going on. What does an American who never learned to drive a manual when renting a car in Italy for example? Here in Germany the rental places have got enough automatic cars.
But mostly woman, older men and handicapped people drive automatic here.

So you know the F1-cars still have a clutch pedal, too.

About the World Cup Game Germany : USA today. What do you think?

Greetings to Alaska, I've never been there but to the Northwest Territories in Canada in 1986.
F1 cars certainly have a clutch, but most definitely NOT a clutch pedal. There is NO where near enough room in the footbox of an F1 car for a third pedal. On most F1 cars the clutch is a small trigger/lever behind the steering wheel.

Old 07-03-2014, 12:53 PM

Quote:
I don't get too exited about soccer, but do when watching any races from F1 (motorcycle, and car); also Indy and NASCAR. I was born overseas, but have never been to Europe. Would like to drive a "sporty" BMW with a manual transmission somewhere in the countryside of Germany or Italy, or just along the coastlines of Spain. Now, all I can do is dream.

Do you know what I saw today? When I came home I saw two Porsche Boxter Cabrio (2 seats) at two different parking places in my neighbourhood and both porsches had a FULL AUTOMATC (P,D,N,R). And this over here in Germany. These people are spending all the money for a Porsche and then missing all the fun!!!

Old 07-03-2014, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LRPct View Post
F1 cars certainly have a clutch, but most definitely NOT a clutch pedal. There is NO where near enough room in the footbox of an F1 car for a third pedal. On most F1 cars the clutch is a small trigger/lever behind the steering wheel.
Of course it has. I saw it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive