U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-07-2014, 06:24 AM

5,229 posts, read 11,484,624 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porschefahrer View Post
Driving automatic is for the handicapped, women and old men.
Hmmm... I could be insulting about your preference, too.

Listen, you're not some special snowflake because you only drive stick shift cars. I drive ALL kinds of cars, regardless of transmission, because I'm not a closed minded fool. And I can probably drive them better than you can, as I've honed my skills on the racetrack.

Automatics are great in luxury cars, muscle cars, drag racers, and daily drivers that are meant to do simple commuting in. With some internal modifications to the transmission, they can also be great for track cars, especially slalom racing (autocross) where the instant shifting (and no missed shifts) can make the difference between winning and losing. In a turbo car they can be beneficial because they let the engine maintain boost during the shift, instead of having to let off the throttle momentarily while shifting. If you want maximum acceleration in a turbo car or a V8 drag car, a built up automatic will be the choice. And of course, electric cars like my daily driver, will do best with a single speed "automatic" transmission.

Small engine cars still need a good manual to get the most out of them, and putting a manual transmission in a custom car where there never was one is cool. I prefer good manual transmission cars, and will choose them over an automatic if there is that choice (like in my Mustang GT Convertible). But I won't turn a good car down even if it only comes in an automatic, like my BMW 740iL was. And it was a great car.
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2014, 06:32 PM

22,151 posts, read 26,611,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Porschefahrer View Post
Driving automatic is for the handicapped, women and old men.
It is also for those who like the type of cars which were only available with an automatic transmission ('50s-'70s Cadillacs, Lincolns and Imperials).

Also some prefer '60s/early-'70s muscle car with automatic transmission. For one thing, the Mopar Torqueflite, GM Turbo-Hydramatic and Ford C-6 were all well-built and reliable units. Another advantage is the multiplication the torque converter gives in each gear. Also, no time wasted between shifts with a firm-shifting (in a typical muscle car) automatic transmission.

Old 07-08-2014, 10:45 PM

1,384 posts, read 2,614,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikey2 View Post
2. If I feel like really pushing the gas mileage up with a stick shift, it's easy to bump it into neutral and coast off the exit (or where ever) and factor in 99.9 mpg for short distance (in Florida I can do it for over 1/2 mile).
This is what modern automatics do to improve gas mileage; they disengage the torque converter as soon as you let go of the accelerator. Of course, with it, you also lose most of your engine braking and what little bit of money you save on fuel, you'll end up spending on brakes.

Old 07-19-2014, 05:29 AM

86 posts, read 81,334 times
Just out of interest is the driving test different for manual vs autos in America as it is in the UK?

i.e.

If you pass your UK driving test in an auto, you are only allowed to drive auto cars
If you pass your UK driving test in a manual, you are allowed to drive either.

Old 07-19-2014, 05:46 AM

774 posts, read 1,826,201 times
No you can drive either manual or standard shift cars.

Everyone in my family drives standard shift cars but I think one or both of my sons took the driving test on automatics because they were "nervous" at the time of the test.

Doesn't necessarily make sense, but it's far down the list of things that don't make sense here.

Mikey

Old 07-19-2014, 12:41 PM

38,691 posts, read 86,797,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by britguy1 View Post
Just out of interest is the driving test different for manual vs autos in America as it is in the UK?

i.e.

If you pass your UK driving test in an auto, you are only allowed to drive auto cars
If you pass your UK driving test in a manual, you are allowed to drive either.
Nope, a driver's license is a driver's license. Once you pass the test no matter what type of transmission, you're licensed to drive any car or light truck.

Old 07-19-2014, 12:51 PM

That must make for some "interesting" situations!

Old 07-19-2014, 03:05 PM

38,691 posts, read 86,797,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by britguy1 View Post
That must make for some "interesting" situations!
Yes and no. Testing in an automatic and being eligible to drive a stick doesn't really matter since most Americans, and probably 80 to 90% of Americans under 40, don't even know how to drive a stick, have no interest in learning how, and consequently won't ever even attempt to drive one. When my wife had to get re-tested because she accidentally let her license lapse for over a year (whoops, good thing she never got pulled over), the evaluator said she was only the second woman he can remember ever taking the test in a manual in the 15 years he's been on the job. Even many who know how to drive a stick drive an automatic anyway, in some part because it's becoming increasingly more difficult to find cars here that are even available with manual transmissions any more.

What causes most "interesting" situations here is just how utterly pathetic the license testing standards are here. Personal mobility (read: car ownership and ability to drive it) is a downright necessity for most Americans because there simply aren't any other practical transportation options for most people. So we make it as easy as possible for people to get drivers' licenses and make the driving tests just difficult enough to avoid total carnage on the roads. While it's nothing close to "third-world" chaos on our streets, our vehicle fatality rate would still be considered "high" by western European standards. Last I looked the only two western European countries that matched our fatality rate per passenger-kilometer were Spain and Belgium.

Old 07-19-2014, 11:35 PM

12,899 posts, read 18,446,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
...What causes most "interesting" situations here is just how utterly pathetic the license testing standards are here. Personal mobility (read: car ownership and ability to drive it) is a downright necessity for most Americans because there simply aren't any other practical transportation options for most people. So we make it as easy as possible for people to get drivers' licenses and make the driving tests just difficult enough to avoid total carnage on the roads. While it's nothing close to "third-world" chaos on our streets, our vehicle fatality rate would still be considered "high" by western European standards. Last I looked the only two western European countries that matched our fatality rate per passenger-kilometer were Spain and Belgium.
This! A chimpanzee could get a license in the USA as long as it passed an eye test. Also auto safety technology defeats the Darwin test , so it never gets better.

Old 07-20-2014, 06:08 AM

The driving test, has definitely got harder here over the last couple of decades, I took one of the new theory tests, and was mightily miffed when I failed it!

I still think the UK driving test should include an element of Motorway driving and possibly skid pan testing. I think the Finnish driving test is one of if not the hardest driving test in the world.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive