U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2014, 05:36 AM

3,885 posts, read 3,326,403 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikey2 View Post
4. I've owned countless stick shift cars and never once can I remember saying: "damn, I wish this was an automatic".
Be in a bumper to bumper traffic jam and you will known it. All London Taxis are auto form obvious reasons. In UK rural areas with winding roads autos are a rare sight and difficult to sell.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2014, 05:57 AM

3,556 posts, read 2,323,321 times
I also prefer a manual transmission. My first manual car was a 1987 Mustang GT 5.0.

I can see the appeal for automatic transmission in heavily congested areas though.

Old 08-23-2014, 07:19 AM

3,967 posts, read 4,399,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John-UK View Post
Be in a bumper to bumper traffic jam and you will known it. All London Taxis are auto form obvious reasons. In UK rural areas with winding roads autos are a rare sight and difficult to sell.
I'm in heavy traffic everyday to almost gridlock. I've never thought about or wished for an automatic. Then again shifting is second nature to me. Automatics are a waste of money to me. I would flush it down the toilet instead.

Old 08-24-2014, 03:49 AM

24,511 posts, read 34,130,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trucker7 View Post
This is what modern automatics do to improve gas mileage; they disengage the torque converter as soon as you let go of the accelerator. Of course, with it, you also lose most of your engine braking and what little bit of money you save on fuel, you'll end up spending on brakes.
Many modern CVTs have active engine breaking. The ECU determines when you're going into a turn, slowing down to a stop, or going down hill. It then applies engine breaking rather than engaging the break pads.

Old 08-24-2014, 07:32 AM

2,868 posts, read 2,844,129 times
My first three automobiles were manual transmissions (4 on the floor, not three on the tree). I have NOTHING against manual transmissions or manual transmission people. To each their own. But whatever savings in mileage one gets from a manual transmission I look at it this way. A manual transmission shifts when you want it to. An automatic transmission shifts when it is supposed to. Plus I have never heard of anyone burning out an automatic clutch. Again NOTHING against the manual transmission people.....

Old 08-25-2014, 08:54 AM

12,404 posts, read 9,203,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiroptera View Post
I grew up in Europe and still visit; manual trans cars are still common there. In fact, last time I was in the UK, it was cheaper to rent a manual trans car than an automatic - do US rental agencies even rent manual vehicles, exotics excepted?

Anyhow - to this day I vastly prefer them. For many reasons:
More power and performance. (More fun!)
Better control in adverse or hilly conditions.
Cheaper - better gas mileage, less brake wear, much cheaper to replace - my 1995 Nissan beater pick-up with almost 250,000 miles still has the original clutch.
When my Chevy Venture needed a new transmission at 160,000 miles, the cost of having it done at a shop almost exceeded the value of the van; I sold it.

I've also owned a Saab Viggen and a Porsche 944S - both very nice sports cars and I cannot imagine them being nearly as much FUN to drive with an automatic! I adore driving, though.

The Advantages of Buying a Manual-Transmission Vehicle — Edmunds.com

"There is no question that manual transmissions "resonate with customers who still enjoy the act of driving," said Marie.
...To many people, driving is just getting from Point A to Point B. ... In recent years, consumers have been willing to pay more, get fewer miles per gallon and have less control of the vehicle all for the sake of convenience."

I've asked people I know and the most common reason they prefer automatics is because they're "easier to drive in traffic." Maybe it's because I'm used to driving a standard, I don't put any conscious thought into it; in fact it's automatic. LOL.

Is it a convenience factor? Are newer automatics better, cost-wise? (I haven't owned anything newer than ten years old in several years but the article I linked to suggests they are.)

An aside - I think driving a standard makes a person a better driver, because it's a bit more interactive. For several years back in the 1980s I drove a semi over the road; having 18 speeds does make you more conscious, especially when how you drive impacts fuel economy and your bottom line! (I was a company driver but got fuel bonuses.) Maybe I am an old fogey, but I also prefer stiffer steering and brakes and guages instead of warning lights; because it seems to me I pay more attention to the act of driving generally. I've driven hundreds of thousands of miles on several continents and different countries without an accident and I wonder if learning to drive in a more conscious, interactive way makes people more attentive drivers in general?
Some people don't know how to drive a manual transmission vehicle.

Others do know how, but have a spouse or other household member who doesn't - and understandably they don't want to buy a car that their S/O couldn't drive when needed for whatever reason.

Old 08-25-2014, 02:45 PM

7,752 posts, read 5,331,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 415_s2k View Post
I drive a stick in San Francisco and it doesn't bug me.

This.
I drive stick DT Orlando and it doesn't bug me at all.

Old 08-25-2014, 02:58 PM

5,229 posts, read 11,487,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal352 View Post
This.
I drive stick DT Orlando and it doesn't bug me at all.
I drive a stick and it doesn't bug me, I also drive an automatic and it doesn't bug me either. Certain cars are quite nice with automatics, and certain cars need manuals. Big engine cars and luxury cars and EVs don't need manuals to get the most out of them, and are just fine as automatics. Small engine cars and sports cars are often best with manuals to get the most out of the engines.

Old 08-25-2014, 04:30 PM

1,384 posts, read 2,614,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncole1 View Post
Others do know how, but have a spouse or other household member who doesn't - and understandably they don't want to buy a car that their S/O couldn't drive when needed for whatever reason.
I would actually consider this a plus. Unfortunately, my wife knows how to drive stick and steals my truck often. At least my in-laws can't drive so I don't have to worry about them asking to borrow my car.

Old 08-25-2014, 05:54 PM

3,046 posts, read 2,636,848 times
I ould rather drive a stick anyday. I was raised on a manual and rather have a stik in the snow than an automatic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive