Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2014, 11:19 AM

13,138 posts, read 22,804,086 times

Advertisements

Here's a funny story... The other day my 14 year-old son told his friends that our new Jeep had a manual transmission; they didn't believe him and said you couldn't buy anything but an automatic in a new car. He actually had to take a picture of the stick and sent it to them to prove them wrong.

I guess it won't be long before kids don't even realize there are...or were M/Ts in cars.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2014, 12:16 PM

774 posts, read 2,380,655 times
Quote:
I guess it won't be long before kids don't even realize there are or were M/T cars
It likely won't be long before kids don't know what cursive writing is either....but that doesn't make it a good thing.

mikey

Old 09-02-2014, 02:50 PM

2,052 posts, read 5,869,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vannort54 View Post
Once you drive a manual you never forget I never will need to learn all over . It's like rideing a bike. I use to drive a 3 on the tree. I even know the hand signals still. I had a 59 vw manual, a ford Festiva with a 5 speed. Ford pick up with a 5 speed. I love driveing a manual. I use to push start a manual car.
I know. I drove my Mustang for 24 years, then when it died, I had to buy an automatic car so my daughter could drive it too. But when that one was totaled (rear ended) I just bought her a new car and bought myself a used manual car again. It was second nature, just had to learn the new clutch feel and how to drive it smoothly (high reving 4 cyl vs V8 torque!).

Funny thing was trying to drive my wife's car a couple of days later. That 24 yr old habit totally came back and I kept looking for the clutch pedal before I turned the key! You quickly forget how to drive an automatic!

Old 09-02-2014, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DauntlessDan View Post
My first three automobiles were manual transmissions (4 on the floor, not three on the tree). I have NOTHING against manual transmissions or manual transmission people. To each their own. But whatever savings in mileage one gets from a manual transmission I look at it this way. A manual transmission shifts when you want it to. An automatic transmission shifts when it is supposed to. Plus I have never heard of anyone burning out an automatic clutch. Again NOTHING against the manual transmission people.....
I agree, to a point. I have nothing against automatic transmission people, and do enjoy a nice automatic at times, but prefer the involvement in driving a manual transmission gives me. My one peeve about many autos is that they shift when they dang well get around to it! There have been several (many) times in traffic when I'm behind a line of cars, and an opening appears in the next line, but due to the transmission "processing" my pedal input as "Oh, you want to go faster! Oh, let me downshift in a second.... or two.." and then finally I'm in the proper gear to accelerate a few seconds later as the car approaches quickly behind me. I would much rather put it in the lower gear myself, glide along in traffic waiting with the clutch disengaged, and then let it out and pull smoothly and quickly into the opening.

Old 09-02-2014, 06:06 PM

24,508 posts, read 33,295,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trbstang View Post
I agree, to a point. I have nothing against automatic transmission people, and do enjoy a nice automatic at times, but prefer the involvement in driving a manual transmission gives me. My one peeve about many autos is that they shift when they dang well get around to it! There have been several (many) times in traffic when I'm behind a line of cars, and an opening appears in the next line, but due to the transmission "processing" my pedal input as "Oh, you want to go faster! Oh, let me downshift in a second.... or two.." and then finally I'm in the proper gear to accelerate a few seconds later as the car approaches quickly behind me. I would much rather put it in the lower gear myself, glide along in traffic waiting with the clutch disengaged, and then let it out and pull smoothly and quickly into the opening.
I have only owned cars with automatic transmissions and I have not had such trouble as the one you outlined above.

An example:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7_qDi4UUVAg

Old 09-02-2014, 07:18 PM

656 posts, read 1,340,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by convextech View Post
I can't figure it out, other than they were too lazy to learn to drive one.
I might be prone to disagree. I think it's less a matter of laziness than it is of opportunity. Not everyone really gets a chance to learn on one... you don't get taught manuals in driving school (unless you go to a truck driving school, but those transmissions are very different), and is someone really expected to go out of their way to purchase a transmission they don't know how to operate, in the hopes that they'll pick up on it in a timely enough manner (not to mention without stripping the gears or ruining the clutch)?
Then, there's the economy matter, especially with as much emphasis that's been placed on that lately. There's a common claim that manuals are more efficient - and they can be, with the right driver. Problem is, most people are not.
And there's one more factor. I'm a mechanic for a trucking company in Denver. And, when it comes to repairs which have to be made, the typical cause for that repair to be necessary boils down to "the loose nut behind the wheel", and it's probably more the same for auto mechanics. People do stupid stuff with cars. People do stupid stuff with clutches... riding down a hill with the clutch depressed, feathering the clutch so they don't have to use the brake when stopped on an incline, shifting a synchromesh gearbox without using the clutch, etc... all without the foggiest notion of what this does for the clutch and transmission. So they go to get it replaced under warranty, only to be told that they voided the warranty by abusing the clutch and transmission. What happens next? Joe Non-Driver whines and complains to anyone who'll listen, "WAAH! MECHANICS ARE ALL CROOKS! THIS TRANSMISSION IS JUNK! THIS CAR BRAND IS JUNK! I'M NEVER BUYING ANYTHING FROM THEM AGAIN!".
So, instead of soothing ruffled feathers, the notion comes to mind not to ruffle them in the first place. So car companies remove the manual option from their vehicles, and thus, they've taken the driver out of the equation as far as transmission problems go.

Old 09-02-2014, 07:30 PM

1,384 posts, read 3,175,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LRPct View Post
Great.. I prefer mine without the engine BREAKING...
smfh...
All cars come with engine brake. It is that lever between the driver and passenger seats. Why do you think that they call it the e-brake?

Also, I never managed to drive an automatic. It runs fine on D (Day mode), but stops moving when I put it in night mode.

Old 09-02-2014, 07:48 PM

6,354 posts, read 7,759,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trucker7 View Post
...Also, I never managed to drive an automatic. It runs fine on D (Day mode), but stops moving when I put it in N (night mode).
Now, that's funny! Thanks for the laugh.

Old 09-02-2014, 10:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleet View Post
I have only owned cars with automatic transmissions and I have not had such trouble as the one you outlined above.

An example:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7_qDi4UUVAg
Nice! Try that with some of the newer computerized 4 cyl cars. Even when I would use the manual "sport" shift mode on the car that was totaled, it still took a couple of seconds for the computer to decide to downshift. I guess I want control NOW, not after some black box under the dash decides if it is OK for me to shift gears!

Old 09-02-2014, 11:18 PM

24,508 posts, read 33,295,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trbstang View Post
Nice! Try that with some of the newer computerized 4 cyl cars. Even when I would use the manual "sport" shift mode on the car that was totaled, it still took a couple of seconds for the computer to decide to downshift. I guess I want control NOW, not after some black box under the dash decides if it is OK for me to shift gears!
A newer computerized 4-cyl car? No, thanks!

What you mentioned is one of many reasons why my favorite cars are the '50s-'70s. (No computer.) So, yes, it does depend on the car and transmission when talking about instant control/acceleration.

In the video I posted, I did that many, many times with the '66 Dodge Dart GT V-8 I used to own. Never a complaint from the transmission or engine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive