Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2014, 07:56 AM

2,256 posts, read 4,497,690 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
Many modern CVTs have active engine breaking. The ECU determines when you're going into a turn, slowing down to a stop, or going down hill. It then applies engine breaking rather than engaging the break pads.
Source for this new style of engine BRAKING?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2014, 03:19 PM

17,184 posts, read 15,382,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LRPct View Post
It's been around for years. It's computer-programmed, and the dealer can turn it off and on.
My Altima's was on by default.
Look it up.

Old 08-27-2014, 03:29 PM

7,136 posts, read 12,673,848 times
I always owned cars with manual transmissions and loved them, until I got quite sick and didn't have the strength to drive a stick any longer. I had to switch to an automatic if I wanted to drive, so now I drive an automatic. My dad followed the same path, he always had a stick until he weakened, due to age, and then went over to an automatic. Automatics are just easier.

Old 08-27-2014, 03:30 PM

13,583 posts, read 15,662,103 times
FWIW, I'm almost 43 and recently took a manual gearbox refresher, as it had been more than a decade since driving a manual. Furthermore, I just traded up a not particularly fast grocery getter with an auto to a Fiat 500 Abarth with a manual, and I'm very glad I did. And I'll be in a retirement home sipping my meals through a straw before I purchase another car w/ an auto tranny.

Old 08-30-2014, 10:15 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,141,698 times
Quote:
It's not new by any means.

Sources include Lexus, Nissan, Subaru, BMW, Audi, GM just to name a few.

Old 08-31-2014, 08:10 PM

2,189 posts, read 2,605,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reebo View Post
I live in the DC area. Traffic here SUCKS and is so congested that my husband would drive from DC to our home (all of 8 miles) and never get out of first gear some days, hard on the clutch, hard on the hips.
When I had a 5-speed manual I looked forward to traffic jams so I could shift more.

Old 08-31-2014, 08:24 PM

3,046 posts, read 4,125,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exitus Acta Probat View Post
FWIW, I'm almost 43 and recently took a manual gearbox refresher, as it had been more than a decade since driving a manual. Furthermore, I just traded up a not particularly fast grocery getter with an auto to a Fiat 500 Abarth with a manual, and I'm very glad I did. And I'll be in a retirement home sipping my meals through a straw before I purchase another car w/ an auto tranny.
Once you drive a manual you never forget I never will need to learn all over . It's like rideing a bike. I use to drive a 3 on the tree. I even know the hand signals still. I had a 59 vw manual, a ford Festiva with a 5 speed. Ford pick up with a 5 speed. I love driveing a manual. I use to push start a manual car.

Old 09-02-2014, 07:56 AM

2,256 posts, read 4,497,690 times
Quote:
Many modern CVTs have active engine breaking. The ECU determines when you're going into a turn, slowing down to a stop, or going down hill. It then applies engine breaking rather than engaging the break pads.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal352 View Post
It's been around for years. It's computer-programmed, and the dealer can turn it off and on.
My Altima's was on by default.
Look it up.
Quote:
It's not new by any means.

Sources include Lexus, Nissan, Subaru, BMW, Audi, GM just to name a few.
Great.. I prefer mine without the engine BREAKING...
smfh...

Old 09-02-2014, 08:11 AM

16,709 posts, read 19,412,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiroptera View Post
I grew up in Europe and still visit; manual trans cars are still common there. In fact, last time I was in the UK, it was cheaper to rent a manual trans car than an automatic - do US rental agencies even rent manual vehicles, exotics excepted?

Anyhow - to this day I vastly prefer them. For many reasons:
More power and performance. (More fun!)
Better control in adverse or hilly conditions.
Cheaper - better gas mileage, less brake wear, much cheaper to replace - my 1995 Nissan beater pick-up with almost 250,000 miles still has the original clutch.
When my Chevy Venture needed a new transmission at 160,000 miles, the cost of having it done at a shop almost exceeded the value of the van; I sold it.

I've also owned a Saab Viggen and a Porsche 944S - both very nice sports cars and I cannot imagine them being nearly as much FUN to drive with an automatic! I adore driving, though.

The Advantages of Buying a Manual-Transmission Vehicle — Edmunds.com

"There is no question that manual transmissions "resonate with customers who still enjoy the act of driving," said Marie.
...To many people, driving is just getting from Point A to Point B. ... In recent years, consumers have been willing to pay more, get fewer miles per gallon and have less control of the vehicle — all for the sake of convenience."

I've asked people I know and the most common reason they prefer automatics is because they're "easier to drive in traffic." Maybe it's because I'm used to driving a standard, I don't put any conscious thought into it; in fact it's automatic. LOL.

Is it a convenience factor? Are newer automatics better, cost-wise? (I haven't owned anything newer than ten years old in several years but the article I linked to suggests they are.)

An aside - I think driving a standard makes a person a better driver, because it's a bit more interactive. For several years back in the 1980s I drove a semi over the road; having 18 speeds does make you more conscious, especially when how you drive impacts fuel economy and your bottom line! (I was a company driver but got fuel bonuses.) Maybe I am an old fogey, but I also prefer stiffer steering and brakes and guages instead of warning lights; because it seems to me I pay more attention to the act of driving generally. I've driven hundreds of thousands of miles on several continents and different countries without an accident and I wonder if learning to drive in a more conscious, interactive way makes people more attentive drivers in general?
I've had manual trannies all my life in my Jeeps but have an automatic sedan for work & travel. I know so many people who can't drive a stick. I can't figure it out, other than they were too lazy to learn to drive one.

Old 09-02-2014, 11:19 AM

865 posts, read 2,161,409 times
Quote:
Great.. I prefer mine without the engine BREAKING...
smfh...
I still don't think they get it ...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive