U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2011, 09:41 PM

42,668 posts, read 71,538,289 times

Advertisements

I must say, you defensive speeders have actually improved your image. When you go screaming past us on the highway, we usually got indignant. But now, reading your rationalizations, we just laugh at you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2011, 10:28 PM

15,924 posts, read 16,850,438 times
As long as you stay in the right lane you can laugh as much as you want, no sweat off my back

Old 03-29-2011, 10:51 PM

5,996 posts, read 13,286,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plwhit View Post
As long as you stay in the right lane you can laugh as much as you want, no sweat off my back
True that! Stay on the right where you belong and everyone's happy!

Old 03-29-2011, 11:07 PM

3,071 posts, read 7,443,271 times
The fact that excessive speed is the most common contributor to fatal crashes is well knowN. It has been studied for years. "The higher the speed the more likely there will be an accident" Reason for this is driver error. I will not argue this and if you question it please ask your nearest STATE HIGHWAY PATROLMAN. Google UP "SPEED AND ACCIDENTS" AND READ THE MANY MANY PAGES..LOL

Old 03-29-2011, 11:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nativechief View Post
The fact that excessive speed is the most common contributor to fatal crashes is well knowN. It has been studied for years. "The higher the speed the more likely there will be an accident" Reason for this is driver error. I will not argue this and if you question it please ask your nearest STATE HIGHWAY PATROLMAN. Google UP "SPEED AND ACCIDENTS" AND READ THE MANY MANY PAGES..LOL
I see you didn't bother to look up facts, why bother?

As I've posted in numerous forums the most common elitist know-it-all phrases I see used here on C-D is:

Quote:
is well known
~
Quote:
it's a well known fact
Try Google searching on "top causes of auto fatalities" and see what they are really caused by in modern times rather than echoing something from a public awareness campaign run by our nanny government 40 years ago...... SPEED KILLS

If you really want to sound intelligent on this subject also research the demographics of the people killed in automobile accidents...

(Above clipart is royalty free)

Last edited by plwhit; 03-30-2011 at 12:18 AM..

Old 03-30-2011, 12:21 AM

16,472 posts, read 20,002,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pretzelogik View Post
Folks in the UK/Europe have the answer to these money raising/taxing cameras. see: Speed Cameras (http://www.speedcam.co.uk/gatso2a.htm - broken link)
But, Americans are different breed of cat, even though many have forgotten their European roots.

They're too spineless to do anything that would make our Founding Fathers proud of them! Even honking their horns!

Old 03-30-2011, 06:03 AM

5,229 posts, read 11,484,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nativechief View Post
Yet gain, you fail.

Go grab the NHTSA and FARS data again.

Oh, and here's a tidbit for you. less than 3% of all drivers get into accidents of any sort per year. Half of those are property damage only, meaning less than 1.5% of drivers get into injury accidents, and those can range from a sprained thumb up to fatalities (of which there were 40,000 last year). Now tell me again, how many drivers speed?

Alchohol still contributes to nearly half the fatal crashes per year. Speed will be listed as a contributing factor in most of those, but the REAL cause is the alchohol.

Think about it for a bit and MAYBE youre learn something.

Getting a bit tired of your ingorant crap on these forums.

Old 03-30-2011, 07:42 AM

42,668 posts, read 71,538,289 times
Speed is NEVER the ONLY cause of an accident, unless its 16-yearolds drag racing or showing off. Every accident is caused by a combination of factors working together, but whatever goes on the accident report, one of the factors in nearly every accident is somebody going too fast for the prevailing conditions and driver capability. An analysis of almost every accident would prove that it wouldn't have happened if somebody had not been driving faster than appropriate under the circumstances. Speed, by the way, can contribute not just to the root cause of the accident, but also to the extremity of the consequences when one occurs.

"Exceeding the speed limit" is not necessarily "driving too fast for conditions". But in the accident report, the Speed box is checked by the officer only if someone was exceeding the speed limit, and that's why those silly statistics up there in somebody's post are so meaningless and do not give a true picture of anything. Statistics are often trotted out and used for no other reason than that they are simplistic and easy to understand when rewritten into a fluff news story. But without an understanding of the metrics, statistics can say whatever you want them to say.

The fact is, driver judgment, as well, is almost always a causative factor in an accident, and it's wonderful that our forum is graced by several drivers whose judgment is infallible, allowing them the authority to order everyone else into the slow lane, since the taxpayers, at great sacrifice, have created left lanes just for those immaculate drivers who also have perfectly tuned cars, maintained to racing specs, and are immune to even Acts of God. The same posters who seem to think that every accident has only one contributing factor, and speed is the factor only if it is somebody else.

Old 03-30-2011, 10:57 AM

Sooooo, lemme get this straight, one must be an immaculate driver (whatever that means.. never got laid in a car?), have a perfectly tuned car, maintained to racing specs to be able to drive 90-110 MPH on highways as per the person who laughs at people as they whiz by him on the highway..

So a person driving 50 MPH can be a slovenly driver (whatever that means), have a badly tuned car, never maintained, inspection sticker 4 years out of date and drive on the highway.........

Man, elitists have the weirdest ideas... I loved this one too: since the taxpayers, at great sacrifice, have created left lanes. Doesn't that just pull at your heart?

Not me, I drive a 1969 Buick Electra 225 with white thread showing on two of the four tires, gets maybe 6 MPG, I've never had it tuned up or the oil changed because it burns a quart of oil about every 50 miles, the windshield is cracked, and it has a bad shimmy when I go over 95 MPH but it goes away at 120.

In fact Adam Sandler wrote this song after he saw my car: (Warning, has very strong language)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K-34Fdtg1dI

Last edited by plwhit; 03-30-2011 at 11:20 AM..

Old 03-30-2011, 11:03 AM

3,071 posts, read 7,443,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plwhit View Post
I see you didn't bother to look up facts, why bother?

As I've posted in numerous forums the most common elitist know-it-all phrases I see used here on C-D is:

~

Try Google searching on "top causes of auto fatalities" and see what they are really caused by in modern times rather than echoing something from a public awareness campaign run by our nanny government 40 years ago...... SPEED KILLS

If you really want to sound intelligent on this subject also research the demographics of the people killed in automobile accidents...

(Above clipart is royalty free)
I take it you haven't talked to a highway patrolman...lol besides if you need stuff looked up go hire a secretary...My point is what you will see when you google ""Is excessive speed related to MOST highway deaths" case n point. lol

Last edited by Nativechief; 03-30-2011 at 11:14 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or