Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2011, 04:30 PM

29,391 posts, read 55,596,323 times

Advertisements

RIDGELAND, S.C. – As Interstate 95 sweeps past this small town along South Carolina's coastal plain, motorists encounter cameras that catch speeding cars, the only such devices on the open interstate for almost 2,000 miles from Canada to Miami.

The cameras have nabbed thousands of motorists, won accolades from highway safety advocates, attracted heated opposition from state lawmakers and sparked a federal court challenge.

I-95 cameras snap speeders, spark controversy - Yahoo! News
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2011, 05:22 PM

3,306 posts, read 12,222,868 times
How can they even disguise it as a safety measure if the motorist doesn't even know he is getting ticketed? They will just continue to speed and get a ticket in the mail weeks later.

Old 03-27-2011, 05:36 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,977,099 times
Seventy is a pretty liberal speed limit, and the camera tickets only cars going over 80, which is a very generous tolerance. There is no earthly reason for anyone to be driving on US highways faster than 80 mph, and doing so elicits a justified ticket in any jurisdiction in the USA, Canada or Mexico. Anyone who does so is in serious noncompliance with the ambient speed of the cars around him, which is a principal cause of accidents at any speed.

If the speed limit is 70, and all the other traffic is going in the 65-75 range, a driver who has an irresistible compulsion to go 80 should get more than just a ticket. He should be court-ordered to undergo psychiatric evaluation, to address his speed addiction, his narcissism, his delusions of grandeur, or his antisocial behavior issues.

Last edited by jtur88; 03-27-2011 at 05:48 PM..

Old 03-27-2011, 05:54 PM

3,041 posts, read 7,935,359 times
The speeder's are the one's that eventually cause I-95 to get plugged from NC to GA 3 lane,if every one drove 70-75 traffic flow would be smoother.I have seen it many times,traffic stopped for no reason.

Old 03-27-2011, 05:56 PM

14,100 posts, read 28,530,849 times
Local police patrolling the interstate for speeders laugh at radar detectors. They park on the downside of an over pass and get them at the top or they hide behind an over pass where the interstate passes under and get you once you pass under the over pass. Those cameras are all over parts of England. Look for them to become more common here.

Old 03-27-2011, 06:51 PM

15,912 posts, read 20,198,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Seventy is a pretty liberal speed limit, and the camera tickets only cars going over 80, which is a very generous tolerance. There is no earthly reason for anyone to be driving on US highways faster than 80 mph
You live in Texas where the speed limit (daytime) is 80 MPH and DPS doesn't bat an eye unless you are doing over 90 MPH.....

Get real....

Drive from Houston to San Diego doing what you consider "safe".....

You'll be brain dead within the first 400 miles.....

These speed cams are to pay for bloated city budgets..... not for safety reasons....

Old 03-27-2011, 07:17 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,841,834 times
Quote:
Seventy is a pretty liberal speed limit, and the camera tickets only cars going over 80, which is a very generous tolerance. There is no earthly reason for anyone to be driving on US highways faster than 80 mph, and doing so elicits a justified ticket in any jurisdiction in the USA, Canada or Mexico. Anyone who does so is in serious noncompliance with the ambient speed of the cars around him, which is a principal cause of accidents at any speed.

If the speed limit is 70, and all the other traffic is going in the 65-75 range, a driver who has an irresistible compulsion to go 80 should get more than just a ticket. He should be court-ordered to undergo psychiatric evaluation, to address his speed addiction, his narcissism, his delusions of grandeur, or his antisocial behavior issues.
Quote:
Originally Posted by plwhit View Post
You live in Texas where the speed limit (daytime) is 80 MPH and DPS doesn't bat an eye unless you are doing over 90 MPH.....

Get real....

Drive from Houston to San Diego doing what you consider "safe".....

You'll be brain dead within the first 400 miles.....

These speed cams are to pay for bloated city budgets..... not for safety reasons....
you beat me to it plwhit(darn you).

Old 03-28-2011, 08:35 AM

859 posts, read 2,829,121 times
Give me the cameras locations and i'll handle this with my trusty hammer.

Same thing happens here every time they put up a new red-light camera. It gets destroyed until the town gets the message and takes it down. One by my house got smashed a dozen times before they gave up.

Unfortunately someone else kept getting to this one before me

Old 03-28-2011, 08:37 AM

2,698 posts, read 12,174,224 times
Quote:
So, 75 in a 70 (which is speeding and, by definition, violating a law) is perfectly fine, but anything over 80 defines me as criminally insane? Yeah, because that 5MPH difference makes me a real maniac.

On most stretches of freeway I've been on where the speed limit is 70 or more, traffic has no problems flowing along at speeds well above that so long as the basic rules of 'drive on the right, pass on the left, and 'slower traffic keep right' are obeyed. You'll usually find this best exemplified on those middle-of-nowhere stretches of freeways like I-40 through most of NM, AZ, and TX. The problem is, any time you get too many cars on the road (typically near a metropolitan area, but not always), these rules are NEVER followed. It turns into a cluster-f of folks congesting the left side, and other folks being impatient and trying stupid maneuvers to get around them. That's where the problems start.

I'm not a fan of the idea of the whole program, but I am surprised that, even with a large sign telling folks there are speed cameras ahead, they still get caught. Come on. That's like having a giant neon sign above the cop hiding in the bushes!

Mike

Old 03-28-2011, 12:29 PM

4,586 posts, read 7,710,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johna01374 View Post
Give me the cameras locations and i'll handle this with my trusty hammer.
You'll probably end up in handcuffs or shot to death.

Quote:
While state law prohibits issuing tickets solely on photographic evidence, the mayor said that doesn't apply in Ridgeland because an officer is also there to see the speeder from the van
I don't have a problem with it. I usually do 75-80 on the highway plus they have the sign up so I would slow down until I passed this city...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive