Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: How often do you text while driving
Never, I enjoy driving 37 64.91%
No more than once a day or less 11 19.30%
Few times a day 6 10.53%
You mean people still drive without a cell phone in their hand? 3 5.26%
Voters: 57. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2011, 12:21 AM

38,707 posts, read 103,166,939 times

Advertisements

I barely even know how to text on my phone, so... no.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2011, 07:37 AM

961 posts, read 2,026,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailordave View Post
Have you ever texted and if so, how often?
How is this even possible? When people say that do you mean a stop light and then texting? Or texting while driving?

Old 04-01-2011, 08:06 AM

469 posts, read 1,870,427 times
Yes, I do. Not often, but I still do. It's now much harder with my touchscreen phone, which is why I don't do it much. And when I do, it's usually at a stop light or stopped in traffic. But I know my limitations, and know when to put the phone down. As with talking on the cell phone. When I do, I find myself spacing out on the conversation, or the other person on the phone asks if I'm still there. It's usually because I am concentrating on the road.

When I have any kids in the car, or any other passengers in the car, I usually don't even touch my phone. If I'm on a 25 mph road on a clear warm day, you may find me texting. But if I'm barreling down the freeway in pouring rain in heavy traffic, I wouldn't as much as look down to change the radio station. I believe it's all about know what you can and cannot do behind the wheel, and when to do such things.

Old 04-01-2011, 08:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nativechief View Post
The difference is that texting is much much more dangerous.
How so? Anytime your eyes are off the road, the danger is still the same. Being hit by someone who doesn't have their eyes on the road is still going to cause the same damage, no matter if it was someone tending to the kids, applying make up or texting.

Old 04-01-2011, 09:38 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,954,125 times
Since I'm answering the poll, I've never texted anywhere anytime, nor ever even had a texting device in my hands, or seen one up close. Nor do I visualize ever being in a situation in which it would occur to me to think that one might be useful in any manner. I don't think I know the number of anybody who has a device on which they could receive a text message from me.

Old 04-01-2011, 10:17 AM

3,071 posts, read 9,138,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbguy05 View Post
How so? Anytime your eyes are off the road, the danger is still the same. Being hit by someone who doesn't have their eyes on the road is still going to cause the same damage, no matter if it was someone tending to the kids, applying make up or texting.
Let me draw you a picture..Texting REQUIRES MORE than just taking your eyes of the road. YOu are also taking your BRAIN off of driving.

Old 04-01-2011, 10:24 AM

6,109 posts, read 10,893,390 times
Only an idiot under the age of 30 would be so stupid to think anyone could text while driving.

"Yeah, like I'm a totally awesome multi-tasker- so much more so than all those old people"

How do you think we got to be old? One could only hope that it would be a very solid tree that a texter would hit and nothing or nobody else.

Old 04-01-2011, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Let me draw you a picture..Texting REQUIRES MORE than just taking your eyes of the road. YOu are also taking your BRAIN off of driving.
Next time you are behind the wheel, close your eyes. But I want you to concentrate on driving. Not too safe is it? Doesn't matter if your "brain" is in it or not. If you are not looking at the road, the danger is still the same.

Old 04-01-2011, 12:45 PM

2,497 posts, read 7,476,584 times
Quote:
The difference is that texting is much much more dangerous.
Sure is, if you have to look at your phone to do it. I can brag that I do not look at my phone when I text, yep I'm that good

Old 04-01-2011, 12:48 PM

2,497 posts, read 7,476,584 times
So all you on here bitching about texting while driving, your main point is that we are taking our eyes off the road, right? So do you not take your eyes off the road while changing the station on the radio? Or navigating your GPS? or looking at other cars in traffic? Or looking at a nice house your driving by? Come on people, your being total hypocrits.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive