U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: How often do you text while driving
Never, I enjoy driving 37 64.91%
No more than once a day or less 11 19.30%
Few times a day 6 10.53%
You mean people still drive without a cell phone in their hand? 3 5.26%
Voters: 57. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2011, 08:19 PM

42,668 posts, read 71,687,173 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbguy05 View Post
Exactly, the "against texting" crowd believe they are Gods or something and never do anything dangerous behind the wheel. No matter who you are, your eyes will never be on the road constantly when you are driving. Heck, even turning to check your blind spot takes your eyes off the road ahead of you.
There are no absolutes about anything. To accuse anyone of being absolute is a chicken way out of an argument. The "against texting" crowd believes that a driver has an over-riding responsibility to consciously make a commitment to attentive driving, which means to recognize driving as something that requires maximum (not absolute) attention. Attention to driving. Checking a blind spot is a driving-related activity that contributes to safe operation of the vehicle. Texting trivial messages is NOT a driving-related activity. It can be done after the driving sequence is completed. It is NOT important enough to distract a driver from the requisite attention to the details of driving a car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jc76 View Post
So all you on here bitching about texting while driving, your main point is that we are taking our eyes off the road, right? So do you not take your eyes off the road while changing the station on the radio? Or navigating your GPS? or looking at other cars in traffic? Or looking at a nice house your driving by? Come on people, your being total hypocrits.
You are right. Those are all the kinds of things that a driver has to make a commitment to NOT do when driving a car. It's hard to overcome the temptation, but if you are going to drive a car, you simply MUST have a mindset of attentive driving. It can be done. It really can be. If you set you mind to it, you can get in the habit of restricting your attention to things that relate to the road in front of you, the mechanical instrumentation of your car, the traffic environment around your car, the other drivers, anticipation of what they can, might, or will do. the limitations of your car, the limitations of yourself as a human driver, a mental and changing inventory of all the things that can suddenly go wrong, warning signage, where you are and how you get where your are going---all of them require constant attention to the details, and don't allow for distractions. No two trips are the same, and the differences between them require constant vigilance.

As for option 1 in the poll: Driving is not fun. It's work. If you do it without diligence, it can have very severe consequences.

Last edited by jtur88; 04-01-2011 at 08:41 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2011, 08:57 PM

1,271 posts, read 4,526,826 times
Because of someone texting and driving, my niece is in the hospital fighting for her life with septic shock. Think again before you do it.

Old 04-01-2011, 09:20 PM

3,071 posts, read 7,457,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDD View Post
If you text while you drive you are automatically a bad driver.
Stupid is as stupid does.

The first person who runs into me while texting gets to eat his own phone.
Best to take them to court and take everything they have. There is a record of when they were using the phone and have that record as part of the evidence in your law suit.They will lose the case.

Old 04-01-2011, 09:54 PM

5,499 posts, read 8,187,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDD View Post
If you text while you drive you are automatically a bad driver.
Stupid is as stupid does.

The first person who runs into me while texting gets to eat his own phone.
Tell that to the defensive and offensive driving classes I've taken.

People who make generalities are stupid.

(And before anyone gets their panties in a bunch, reread what I said and think about it for a second!)

Old 04-01-2011, 09:58 PM

7,895 posts, read 12,171,762 times
I never text, period. We cancelled my cell phone recently because it wasn't getting any use.

Old 04-01-2011, 10:17 PM

31,236 posts, read 57,419,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jc76 View Post
Sure I do. Lots of accidents happen simply by a-holes applying make-up or playing with the stereo, or tending to the rugrats, so whats the difference?
As my mama used to say (well, maybe she still does): Stupid is as stupid does.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheViking85 View Post
I guess I win, since I use my turn signals, mirrors, don't txt or talk on the phone and don't have any kids.
Nor do I own a GPS or wear makeup. Score x 2!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Texting trivial messages is NOT a driving-related activity. It can be done after the driving sequence is completed. It is NOT important enough to distract a driver from the requisite attention to the details of driving a car.
Agreed. The only important detail about driving is to get from Point A to Point B safely. Otherwise, that fancy texting phone is of no use.

Old 04-01-2011, 10:26 PM
PDD

8,776 posts, read 14,175,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danieloneil01 View Post
Awesome, they get a ticket while you go to jail for assualt.
Bet they never text again.

Old 04-01-2011, 11:01 PM

7,079 posts, read 10,842,193 times
I've texted on occassion. I have also pulled off the road many times to text or talk on the phone. A driver has to know his limitations.

I am also in favor of banning the use of hand-held phones for the driver while the vehicle is in motion. I am willing to give up the practice of talking / texting if it stops the oblivious morons who are abusing it.

Old 04-01-2011, 11:08 PM

440 posts, read 1,630,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
There are no absolutes about anything. To accuse anyone of being absolute is a chicken way out of an argument. The "against texting" crowd believes that a driver has an over-riding responsibility to consciously make a commitment to attentive driving, which means to recognize driving as something that requires maximum (not absolute) attention. Attention to driving. Checking a blind spot is a driving-related activity that contributes to safe operation of the vehicle. Texting trivial messages is NOT a driving-related activity. It can be done after the driving sequence is completed. It is NOT important enough to distract a driver from the requisite attention to the details of driving a car.
If a certain crowd comes off as "absolute" then I am going to call it out. Simple as that. The problem with your logic is that the "against texting" crowd is exactly that....against texting. And nothing else or texting is the ultimate offense and everything else (distracting driving wise) comes after it. MY whole point is, texting should be lumped into the whole arena of distracted driving. Not in it's own detrimental group that most want it to be.

Laws are being passed to make texting behind the wheel illegal. Why not make tending to your kids while driving illegal too? Applying make up?

Explain to me how physically turning your body and head toward the back seat while the car is in forward motion or your face planted into the vanity visor with lipstick is less dangerous than looking down at a phone screen?

In your words you say people who are against texting believes a driver should have maximum (but not absolute) attention behind the wheel. Which means there is gap in which their attention is not to driving. And ANY activity that falls into that gap should be treated equally. Meaning anything that NOT a driving related activity is distracted driving and should be treated as such.

Old 04-01-2011, 11:42 PM

3,071 posts, read 7,457,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbguy05 View Post
If a certain crowd comes off as "absolute" then I am going to call it out. Simple as that. The problem with your logic is that the "against texting" crowd is exactly that....against texting. And nothing else or texting is the ultimate offense and everything else (distracting driving wise) comes after it. MY whole point is, texting should be lumped into the whole arena of distracted driving. Not in it's own detrimental group that most want it to be.

Laws are being passed to make texting behind the wheel illegal. Why not make tending to your kids while driving illegal too? Applying make up?

Explain to me how physically turning your body and head toward the back seat while the car is in forward motion or your face planted into the vanity visor with lipstick is less dangerous than looking down at a phone screen?

In your words you say people who are against texting believes a driver should have maximum (but not absolute) attention behind the wheel. Which means there is gap in which their attention is not to driving. And ANY activity that falls into that gap should be treated equally. Meaning anything that NOT a driving related activity is distracted driving and should be treated as such.
You are right that tending babies etc can cause accidents. In my state there is a law for many years that says doing anything by choice that interferes with your safe driving is illegal.Because of the very large increase in accidents directly caused by cell phones that a new focus is on making them illegal to use while driving. If people eating etc would start providing the data that cell phones have I guess the focus would be on that...Any driver on the phone while driving is showing disrespect to everyone else. Lets stop this disrespect.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or