U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2011, 12:37 PM

48,519 posts, read 80,998,062 times

Advertisements

I have to say that depending on the compaund;long wear have harder rubber;that much depdns o your driving. Also make sure you watch thread wear and keep inflation proper with wear differences.It alos depend alot on how you drive esepcailly in front wear patterns. if you brake late to turn that shift weight forwrrd and turn turn tire rolls to edges and wear fast. Same if your braking while turning. Its really the same as brakes ;driving style can make a huge difference. Also make use of the alignament is correct.Personally I don't like anything beyond 60,000 warranty because rubber used is typically too hard for my taste.22,000 mles tho is low and either somehting has changed on alignment;driving hard or not maintaining pressures seems likely;if you as stated are rotating.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2011, 01:53 PM

780 posts, read 2,134,096 times
Damn, 32k-mile is considered too short of a tire life. I don't even want the tires anymore at half the miles, let alone 32k.

At any rate, please define "worn out". Do you go with 2/32" tread depth or do you have your own standard ?

Also, watch for manufacturer-suggested alignment. On some rare cases, the alignment specs would actually cause accelerated tire wear.

Old 03-30-2011, 02:02 PM

42,668 posts, read 71,523,609 times
I doubt if a tire warranty would cover road wear, even if you paid extra for the warranty. Generally, a tire warranty covers only road hazard or defective tire construction. Nobody would ever honor a warranty on tread wear that could have been caused by mis-inflation, mis-alignment, imbalance, non-compliant vehicle, off-road use, etc.

If you don't buy a dealer's separate warranty to cover road hazard, the manufacturer will only guarantee against defective manufacture.

Old 03-30-2011, 06:55 PM

3,675 posts, read 7,591,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by POS VETT View Post
Damn, 32k-mile is considered too short of a tire life. I don't even want the tires anymore at half the miles, let alone 32k.

At any rate, please define "worn out". Do you go with 2/32" tread depth or do you have your own standard ?

Also, watch for manufacturer-suggested alignment. On some rare cases, the alignment specs would actually cause accelerated tire wear.
By worn out, I mean 3 of the 4 tires are at 4/32" and one's at 3/32" after just 22K miles! I usually go down to 2/32" before replacing the tires, but this in my opinion just seems too fast... I'm taking the car to Discount Tire (where I bought them) this weekend for a rotation and talk to them about the premature wear and see what they say.

Normally, as everyone's said here, they prorate the warranty (65K) and give credit towards the next purchase... Any suggestions about the next set? Yokohama Avid TRZ's? Pierelli P5? I think I'm done with Michelin Symmetry!!

Old 03-31-2011, 09:40 AM

12,553 posts, read 18,921,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by X-Greensboro Resident View Post
Yokohama Avid TRZ's?
I have these on my minivan. 25,000 miles later they still look like they've got at least another 25,000, if not more, miles left on them.

Old 03-31-2011, 10:56 AM

3,675 posts, read 7,591,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkf747 View Post
I have these on my minivan. 25,000 miles later they still look like they've got at least another 25,000, if not more, miles left on them.
Awesome! Thank you....

Old 06-27-2011, 10:37 AM

12,553 posts, read 18,921,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by X-Greensboro Resident View Post
Awesome! Thank you....
It's been a while, but, just in case you come back and read this... I have had two of them be replaced. One, was a sidewall failure that we caught at home, but the other happened recently. The sidewall failed while cruising at 70 mph on the highway. Both failures have soured me on Yokohama Avids. I'm saving up to replace the three I have left.

Old 06-27-2011, 06:19 PM

48,519 posts, read 80,998,062 times
My oddessey tires have lasted much longer than my truck tires did unless they were hard as rocks. Maintianing the tire pressures for even wear and roattig them is important. Driving habits like braking when turnig instead of brakig before turning can keep edge roll and wear way down.

Old 06-28-2011, 12:47 PM

13,388 posts, read 42,701,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkf747 View Post
It's been a while, but, just in case you come back and read this... I have had two of them be replaced. One, was a sidewall failure that we caught at home, but the other happened recently. The sidewall failed while cruising at 70 mph on the highway. Both failures have soured me on Yokohama Avids. I'm saving up to replace the three I have left.
That's unusual for Yokohama tires - we have a set of fairly new Avids on the 92 Subaru Legacy, only a few thousand miles on them so far, but so far they have been good.

Do you check the tire pressure yourself? Hit a lot of potholes around where you live, or have a driver who rubs the curbs a lot?

This would be the first time I have ever heard of Yokes blowing out sidewalls unprovoked, if that's what it is.

Getting back to the original question, something like the Michelin Green-X Hydroedge would provide a good level of all-round traction, good even in snow while the tread is still deep, and a relatively long service life.

If you try to buy the biggest UTQC wear number tire for the lowest price, you will end up with a cheap, crap, hard compound tire that won't grip worth a damn, and unless you drive very conservatively in a very uncrowded empty road environment, these will cost you more than they save you sooner or later.

Old 06-28-2011, 12:55 PM

13,720 posts, read 24,608,598 times
It is silly to try to attribute specific tire characteristics to a tire brand. Michelin makes some very good, long lasting tires, and they make some pretty mediocre ones. Same with Yokohama.

The Michelin LTX M/S tires on my Honda Ridgeline lasted 70K+ miles on the front. I changed them about a year ago to Michelin Crosstour. The rears on the Ridgeline are original at 85K miles now and need to be replaced not because of tread but because of age (rubber cracking). These tires are excellent all around for wear (obviously) and wet and dry traction. These are not cheap tires but well worth their cost. The are really SUV or light truck tires so might not be a great choice for a minivan.

The Goodyear Fortera Tripletread tires on our Honda Pilot have done very well - lasting about 45K miles. The Pilot's weight and drivetrain are very similar to the Odyssey.

I do not rotate tires at all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive