U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2013, 05:04 PM

12,120 posts, read 27,570,538 times

Advertisements

the term "smoothest" brings to mind old CR's reviews. i remember the 1973 Buick Century was top rated, partly because "it gave an overall feeling of smoothness and isolation from the road surface that the Matador could not match".

The big Mopars were always compared to their Ford and GM counterparts--"none of the Chrysler Corp cars, the Plymouth, Dodge and Chrysler, were as smooth or as quiet as the Mercury or GM cars"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2013, 05:31 PM

3,314 posts, read 12,271,757 times
Simple. Mercury Marquis. They used to cut diamonds in the back seats.

Old 07-15-2013, 05:46 PM

12,120 posts, read 27,570,538 times
and tape violin music in the back seat...as CR's said of the 72 Galaxie 500-- "a recent Ford ad showed violin music being taped from the back seat of a moving car. unfortunately our test Galaxie was not nearly as quiet as those ads implied. while we judged the Galaxie fairly quiet overall, the tires hissed and rumbled, wind whistled around the doors and windows and the exhaust droned during even gentle acceleration"

Old 01-20-2014, 10:39 AM

6 posts, read 23,335 times
The 2014 Mercedes E550 4matic (a V8) that I drive has a split personality. On smooth to mildly rough roads, it is very smooth riding. But when I hit a larger bump, such as a speed bump I drive over on every trip to the local park, the suspension bottoms out with a loud impact sound. The suspension is adjustable for both car height and firmness. At the high-body-level setting, the problem remains, with perhaps a bit less impact sound, At the firm suspension setting, the ride is barely harder, but the suspension still bottoms out on certain speed bumps. I suspect that the strut style front suspension was designed with marginal wheel travel distance, hence the bottoming out. I've driven over the same speed bump for nearly 30 years and this is the first car we've had to bottom out at the bump.

Overall, it is a superb car for long highway trips, but not so great on bad secondary roads.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive