U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2011, 01:54 PM

22,151 posts, read 26,616,225 times

Advertisements

The 1971-'76 Cadillac Fleetwood Seventy-Five 9-Passenger Sedan and Limousine, with their very long (151.5") wheelbase have an extremely smooth ride.

I have first-hand experience, owning a '76 Limousine. I see other cars bounce over bumps which are hardly noticed in my Limo. In the photo below is a '74 Limousine.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2011, 08:42 PM

20,005 posts, read 67,960,131 times
Lexus LS430 was the smoothest riding car Ive ever ridden in. Incredibly composed.

Old 04-01-2011, 12:46 AM

7,303 posts, read 22,741,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whyzazz View Post
The series 3 jag xj6 rides smooth if everything is in ship shape!!
I agree... my uncle had a 1985 XJ6 4dr... rode superbly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by asubram3 View Post
Did the Park Avenue have the Dynaride? I have heard that it was very nice for the smooth ride, but floaty. Wasn't there also a Touring suspension that was firmer?
Yes, it did. I think the rear springs were air springs or self leveling or something as well. It was floaty and soft. Yeah, I think the "Ultra" model had a slightly firmer suspension.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyWatson13 View Post
Lincoln Town Car
Lexus LS 430
Rolls Royce Phantom
Mercedes S420 W140
Super Smooth
Cant disagree with that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milwaukee City View Post
My 1990 Buick Lesabre that I once owned driver extremely smooth!

I guess I would put Lincoln, Cadillac and Buick in my top 3 of cloud like rides!
Me too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleet View Post
The 1971-'76 Cadillac Fleetwood Seventy-Five 9-Passenger Sedan and Limousine, with their very long (151.5") wheelbase have an extremely smooth ride.

I have first-hand experience, owning a '76 Limousine. I see other cars bounce over bumps which are hardly noticed in my Limo. In the photo below is a '74 Limousine.
Definitely!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
Lexus LS430 was the smoothest riding car Ive ever ridden in. Incredibly composed.
My 1991 LS400 had a very nice ride with the base suspension... I heard the optional air suspension models were rated almost #1 back in the early 90s.

Old 04-01-2011, 12:17 PM

11,877 posts, read 45,692,788 times
My other half drives a TC. It "had" the air suspension on it. It was truly one of the smoothest rides I've ever been in. One unit and the compressor went south. Wasn't worth it to replace-Now it rides quite a bit harder with a standard suspension under it.
But, as previously mentioned and I totally agree- Citroen has "the" smoothest ride-
Hydropneumatic suspension - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

My father owned a CX for several yrs. And I did get to drive it on a few occasions. That thing was awesome! It would be practically sitting on the ground when first starting it up- then rise to operating height when the system pressurized. The weirdest thing about driving it was the brake "pedal"- it was more like a big rubber button on the floor. But it would stop on a dime.
Go fast! Maserati V-6 and transaxle for front wheel drive.

Old 04-01-2011, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by K'ledgeBldr View Post
My other half drives a TC. It "had" the air suspension on it. It was truly one of the smoothest rides I've ever been in. One unit and the compressor went south. Wasn't worth it to replace-Now it rides quite a bit harder with a standard suspension under it.
But, as previously mentioned and I totally agree- Citroen has "the" smoothest ride-
Hydropneumatic suspension - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

My father owned a CX for several yrs. And I did get to drive it on a few occasions. That thing was awesome! It would be practically sitting on the ground when first starting it up- then rise to operating height when the system pressurized. The weirdest thing about driving it was the brake "pedal"- it was more like a big rubber button on the floor. But it would stop on a dime.
Go fast! Maserati V-6 and transaxle for front wheel drive.
Ironically (or maybe not) a road test of a 1959 Cadillac mentions the Citroen...
(Car Life, May, 1959)

"Cadillac's ride has been good in most recent years- especially in the area of control of dip and bounce. when the new coil-spring rear suspension first came out, the resultant riding qualities weren't quite up to those provided by the long leaf springs of earlier models. This year, however, they've really hit the mark. The car rode as level as any I've ever driven, including the fabulous Citroen DS-19. Bumps in the road displace the wheels most of their length of travel before the body begins to rise gently for a short distance.

Without a detailed analysis, let me simply say that I feel Cadillac's ride is now the best in the luxury- or any other- price field. The competition is terrific and comes very close, but this year, for the first time in recent years, Cadillac is the best."

Old 04-01-2011, 03:38 PM

9,620 posts, read 12,789,119 times
My parents have a late-model Town Car. It's ride is smooth, but the fit, finish, handling, etc. feel extremely loose, even relative to other luxury cars.

I drove a Buick Roadmaster sedan and also the related Cadillac Fleetwood, and they were very, very smooth-riding, probably moreso than the Town Car. I also drove a loaded 00's DTS that was super smooth.

The VW Phaeton was pretty remarkable. The steel suspension was great, but the air suspension even moreso. I found the ride smoother than the A8, probably owing to steel vs. aluminum construction.

None of these, however, came anywhere close to the Lexus LS430 with air suspension. I drove a few LS430 "Ultra Luxury" package cars when I worked for them and... wow. Amazing.

Old 04-01-2011, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 415_s2k View Post
My parents have a late-model Town Car. It's ride is smooth, but the fit, finish, handling, etc. feel extremely loose, even relative to other luxury cars.
I have not experienced that with my '95 Town Car. The fit is excellent... nothing coming apart inside or outside. No cracks on the dash or seats; carpet still in very good condition.

The clear coat on the paint is coming off in places but I do park the car in the street, usually without a car cover.

Handling feels fine; it feels like a smaller car when I corner (maybe I am used my two big Cadillacs). But it does not feel at all "loose."

Old 04-01-2011, 07:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by K'ledgeBldr View Post
Same here... my 1995 Town Car has had the rear air springs converted to the conventional springs. I didnt know that until I got it home. The old lady I bought it from told me it had the original springs, so she lied or didnt know herself. I have ridden in my uncles 1997 Town Car which does have the original air springs and I thought my car rode as smooth as his the day I drove it home, but after getting on some bumpy roads, I realized something was wrong, it wasnt as cloud-like as my uncles car. I popped the trunk and noticed the air spring switch on "off". I was like, "huh"? Then I crawled under and noticed the big coil springs under there. Dont get me wrong, the car still rides smooth, but not soft and floaty as one would expect... I also heard that starting in 1995, the Town Car gained stiffer rate springs up front. I would like to sell/trade mine for a 1990-94 model.

Nowadays you can get the replacement air springs and compressor fairly cheap, but I guess at the time it was costly. If I were to keep it, I would like to change it back over to air springs. A friend of mine has a 1995 Town Car as well... her compressor went out, now her car is sagging on the lower driver side rear.

Old 04-01-2011, 08:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 415_s2k View Post
Out of curiosity, what year is their Town Car?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleet View Post
I have not experienced that with my '95 Town Car. The fit is excellent... nothing coming apart inside or outside. No cracks on the dash or seats; carpet still in very good condition.

The clear coat on the paint is coming off in places but I do park the car in the street, usually without a car cover.

Handling feels fine; it feels like a smaller car when I corner (maybe I am used my two big Cadillacs). But it does not feel at all "loose."
I agree with Fleet, my 1995 is well assembled, no squeaks or rattles (just an occasional creak/pop from the sun shrunken plastic over on top of the dash panel, like where the defroster blows out), but other that, its tight, rattle free, everything nicely aligned.

Yes, my friends gray 95 Town Car has bad paint, but my 95 Town Cars paint is still shiney and gleams.

Handling... well mine is not that great, I have some worn out steering components.

Old 04-01-2011, 08:13 PM

910 posts, read 1,387,032 times
Lincoln Town Car and the Lexus ES are smoothest I have ridden in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive