U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2011, 01:32 AM

9,620 posts, read 12,789,119 times

Advertisements

My parents' Town Car is, IIRC, an '05. It's the facelifted model. Both you and Fleet are saying that your '95's are still more tight... maybe it was better with that generation? I don't recall ever having driven one, though I have ridden in one. That, or maybe the fact I was generally driving it against much newer/more advanced cars had something to do with it? These days Town Cars are basically just fleet vehicles so maybe they kind of dropped the ball on the fit and finish?

They still have it and use it on long trips, but my dad has compared it to his old MGB in terms of reliability. It's had suspension, electrical, transmission and drivetrain problems, and when I visited in '08, I borrowed it and was making a left turn at speed and the rear passenger's side door just popped open! The latch mechanism just decided to die and we had to replace it, but I had to bungie cord the interior door handle to the front seat's seat rail to get home. It's not my parents' treatment of it, either... they had a '91 Corolla with 400k on it, have a '96 Corolla with just shy of 300k on it, a '98 Stratus with about 250k, and an '09 Jetta that already has about 60k on it, all of which are doing fine. The TC just seems like a piece.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2011, 02:40 AM

22,151 posts, read 26,616,225 times
I see many, many Town Cars driven by private owners, so Lincoln wouldn't compromise fit and finish.

Owners of Town Cars are generally satisfied. What you are describing about your dad's car is most likely just that particular car. It happens to every make and model of cars. Especially when hundreds of thousands are built.

I have had absolutely no problem with the latches or doors popping open on my '95 TC. I have posted here before about a Town Car forum in which many members have 200,000 to almost 500,000 miles on theirs, many with the original engine and transmission.

But, yes, maybe the older ones were built better.

Old 04-02-2011, 03:09 AM

2,206 posts, read 2,498,282 times
One of my smoothest rides was a Mercury Grand Marquis 2010... grandpa-like, but smooth. The old steel-frame construction is nice when it comes to smoothness.

Old 04-02-2011, 03:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Douglas Dakota View Post
One of my smoothest rides was a Mercury Grand Marquis 2010... grandpa-like, but smooth. The old steel-frame construction is nice when it comes to smoothness.
They do ride nice.
Instead of grandpa-like, I would use the term "luxury car-like" (they ride like a luxury car should).

Old 04-02-2011, 08:27 AM

8,402 posts, read 19,537,327 times
1972 Buick Electra 225. A high school buddy had one, and we could go over speed bumps at 60 and hardly notice. The tortured suspension would go "ba-bung" but the car hardly flinched.

Old 04-02-2011, 08:49 AM

11,790 posts, read 12,639,398 times
DTS and Town Car are tough to beat. German cars usually have some predisposition to handling which tends to make them tauter with stiffer struts, less wheel travel, lower ride height and larger wheels with lower profile tires.

Old 04-02-2011, 03:28 PM

7,653 posts, read 5,640,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleet View Post
I see many, many Town Cars driven by private owners, so Lincoln wouldn't compromise fit and finish.

Owners of Town Cars are generally satisfied. What you are describing about your dad's car is most likely just that particular car. It happens to every make and model of cars. Especially when hundreds of thousands are built.

I have had absolutely no problem with the latches or doors popping open on my '95 TC. I have posted here before about a Town Car forum in which many members have 200,000 to almost 500,000 miles on theirs, many with the original engine and transmission.

But, yes, maybe the older ones were built better.
My son has a '95 Town Car and I have a '95 Crown Vic. And the ride quality of the Town Car beats my Crown Vic by a country mile. Puzzles me since, as I understand it, they are essentially the same chassis but for the Town Car's slightly longer wheelbase.

His Town Car rivals the rides of the classic early 70s LTDs and full size GM cars and I don't know of anything else in more recent years that does.

Old 04-02-2011, 03:36 PM

11,790 posts, read 12,639,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrownVic95 View Post
My son has a '95 Town Car and I have a '95 Crown Vic. And the ride quality of the Town Car beats my Crown Vic by a country mile. Puzzles me since, as I understand it, they are essentially the same chassis but for the Town Car's slightly longer wheelbase.
Town Car's have air ride suspension, 'Vics and GrandMas do not.

Old 04-02-2011, 03:43 PM

7,653 posts, read 5,640,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourian View Post
Town Car's have air ride suspension, 'Vics and GrandMas do not.
Incorrect. The air suspension is optional on both the Crown Vic and Grand Marquis and is very commonly found in them.

In my case, both my son's Town Car and my Crown Vic were equipped with air springs that became problematic and were therefore replaced with coils (exactly the same) just recently.

His TC still leaves me in the dust for ride quality.

Old 04-02-2011, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrownVic95 View Post
Incorrect. The air suspension is optional on both the Crown Vic and Grand Marquis and is very commonly found in them.

In my case, both my son's Town Car and my Crown Vic were equipped with air springs that became problematic and were therefore replaced with coils (exactly the same) just recently.

His TC still leaves me in the dust for ride quality.
The TC is several hundred pounds heavier than the Crown Vic. I don't know if that would make that much of a difference, though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive