U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2011, 04:00 PM

29 posts, read 47,614 times

Advertisements

I think the Maybach 62S.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2012, 07:22 PM

1 posts, read 3,430 times
Default Smooth ride for bad back

We purchased a Ford Fusion Hybrid for the new technology and absolutely believe we all should be trying to improve the environment with our rides. That said, the ride was just not livable for me. I had a car accident a lifetime ago and am left with back damage and increasing arthritis so it is with a sad heart and some guilt that we will actually trade in our brand new car (with all amenities). So far we have tried an Infiniti M 2009 as an affordable alternative (after trade in or sale) because we inherited an 18 year old one and it rides like a dream comparatively. A much smoother ride.
We'll be glad to hear any suggestions because we are desperate. I am riding, lying down on padding -- no way to enjoy a $35,000 car.

Old 08-28-2012, 08:23 PM

13,720 posts, read 24,613,257 times
Toyota Avalon.
Lexus ES350
Lexus LS ($$$)

Infiniti cars are tuned for a firmer ride (and better handling) than Lexus or Toyota.

Old 08-28-2012, 09:44 PM

53 posts, read 73,270 times
Not my honda civic. LoL. You will feel every little bump!

Old 08-28-2012, 09:47 PM

4,486 posts, read 14,920,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorothy Knable View Post
We purchased a Ford Fusion Hybrid for the new technology and absolutely believe we all should be trying to improve the environment with our rides. That said, the ride was just not livable for me. I had a car accident a lifetime ago and am left with back damage and increasing arthritis so it is with a sad heart and some guilt that we will actually trade in our brand new car (with all amenities). So far we have tried an Infiniti M 2009 as an affordable alternative (after trade in or sale) because we inherited an 18 year old one and it rides like a dream comparatively. A much smoother ride.
We'll be glad to hear any suggestions because we are desperate. I am riding, lying down on padding -- no way to enjoy a $35,000 car.
Cadillac DTS or Lincoln Town Car if you truly want a smooth and comfortable ride.

Old 08-28-2012, 10:19 PM

10,395 posts, read 8,346,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailordave View Post
Top Gear did a segment on a CitroŽn to show how smooth it rode. It was being used as the camera car for a horse race track. The car rode along side the track. Where it rode was not paved and was rough and yet the camera showed no vibration.
Wish we could try them here.

Old 08-29-2012, 06:16 AM

18,107 posts, read 16,448,492 times
The Chevy Impala came in as a budget entry to the Top Ten List of quiet soft riding cars. I rented a 2009 or 2010 and it was smooth and quiet. Definitely a freeway cruiser your grampa might like if he likes Buicks or Lincoln's.
What's the best comfort and quiet ride in a mid size or a compact, BTW? Somehting in size between a Hyundai Elantra to a Chevy Cavalier?

Old 08-29-2012, 11:07 AM

1,891 posts, read 3,454,822 times
94 Cadillac Fleetwood Brougham, remove the front and rear sway bars, and you will be riding on a cloud softer than anything else out there. Smooth, quiet, powerful and comfortable.

Early 90's Lincoln Town Cars are also very soft riding, but the Fleetwood is far superior in terms of performance, reliability, size, comfort and interior room.

But if you want total isolation, and boat like ride, then the 70's Cadillac Deville's/Fleetwood and Lincoln Continental's are the absolute best riding, and cannot be beat by any modern luxury car, maybe beside for a Roll's or Maybach.

Old 08-29-2012, 12:25 PM

13,437 posts, read 15,041,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedyAZ View Post
Cadillac DTS or Lincoln Town Car if you truly want a smooth and comfortable ride.
Until you get to an expansion joint. Weeeee---eeey---eey-y!

Honestly, you're never going to find any definition of smooth that hits everyone. The big American tubs of old were as good at soaking up bumps as making you feel like you were on a water bed. I can't stand that. Now, supposedly the optional magnetic ride control on the DTS helped out quite a bit, and I can believe it. One of, if not the, smoothest rides I've ever been in is the CTS-V. Feeling like you're in a boat rising and falling with the swells of the waves isn't my idea of smooth. Smooth is a combination of body control and isolating the bumps.

Old 08-29-2012, 03:04 PM

2,888 posts, read 4,476,900 times
Forget about all of the old fart cars mentioned, the smoothest riding car ever made is the Citroen SM. It's suspension system is truly unique.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive