Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-30-2011, 11:02 PM

221 posts, read 1,194,364 times

Advertisements

HI - I'm thinking of purchasing a specific used Dodge Caravan. It drives fine, altough maybe pulls to the R slightly. The Carfax report on it looks perfect - 1 owner, regular maintenance, no accidents reported. But the front of the hood has a repaired split (or dent?) on it. The problem area is about 5" long, and is just above the front bumper. It looks like it was welded together and painted?? I don't know enough to explain it better than this, sorry.

What could have caused this other than an accident?

It is being sold by a different dealership about 20 mi. away from the one which did the regular maintenance.

Thank you for your advice!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2011, 11:29 PM

3,046 posts, read 6,288,049 times
Someone could have bumped something at some early time in the vehicle's use, and instead of turning it in to insurance, it may very well have been an out of pocket expense repair. If that is all that is wrong with it, I'd buy it if it;'s a fair price and you are other wise happy with the vehicle. But I would neg. a front end alinement in the deal if at all possible. This way you have some bargining power too on it and the frontend gets a free to you inspection before you buy it.

Old 03-31-2011, 01:46 AM

773 posts, read 2,631,387 times
Default What would cause split in hood other than accident?

In cold weather it does not take much of a hit to crack the bumper.

Old 03-31-2011, 07:32 AM

780 posts, read 2,925,306 times
Can we see a picture of the hood ? Preferably both interior and exterior surfaces.

Old 04-01-2011, 03:15 PM

859 posts, read 2,828,901 times
First thing you need to know is NOT to trust Carfax. We have run dozens of cars that we knew where in wrecks and all but a couple have come back clean. A good friend of mine wrecked his BMW doing 30K worth of damage 3 months after it was purchased and it was fixed. A few months later the car was wrecked a second time doing 10K+ in damage. Both times the car was repaired at BMW dealers and to this day the car shows a clean title. I can give you 20 more instances but it's not worth typing. Plain and simple. Save you money.

As for the split in the hood. Any number of things could have caused it. Something could have fallen on it, Driver drove under something that was just a little too low etc. Since the car pulls and there is damage on that side i'd have someone that knows what they're looking for inspect the car. Odd are it's been in a wreck.

Old 04-01-2011, 03:18 PM

7,780 posts, read 21,878,330 times
it can't be welded. Id say it get dented and is filled with bondo.

Old 04-01-2011, 06:25 PM

221 posts, read 1,194,364 times
Thanks you guys! I decided to buy a different vehicle.

It's distressing about Carfax - what other source can a regular person who knows little about cars use? I know that the best thing is to go to an independent mechanic and have them look at the vehicle, but the local car dealers don't allow this. So ?

I just decided to trust the dealer. Cross your fingers for me!

Old 04-01-2011, 08:57 PM

5,730 posts, read 10,126,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lily0fthevalley View Post
Thanks you guys! I decided to buy a different vehicle.

It's distressing about Carfax - what other source can a regular person who knows little about cars use? I know that the best thing is to go to an independent mechanic and have them look at the vehicle, but the local car dealers don't allow this. So ?

I just decided to trust the dealer. Cross your fingers for me!
SO buy from an individual. Why pay the dealer's overhead.

(And they don;t know or care much about the vehicle except what they can make!)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive