U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2011, 10:35 AM

33 posts, read 218,430 times

Advertisements

I just got new brakes for my 2006 ford ranger. they squeak when i approach a stop. is this normal for new brakes?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2011, 10:37 AM

2,256 posts, read 5,901,941 times
Could be very likely when they were replaced by whoever that the pads and linkages weren't greased.

Old 04-01-2011, 11:22 AM

5,229 posts, read 11,481,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dodgerguy View Post
I just got new brakes for my 2006 ford ranger. they squeak when i approach a stop. is this normal for new brakes?
Normally, when doing new pads, there is an anti-squeal compound applied (to stop the high speed vibrations that the pads generate from reaching the pistons, which cause the squeaking) and often techs skip that step in tehinterst of time, or at least just haphazardly apply the compound (supposed to let it sit a bit and set up before reassembling the pads in the calipers). Could be that your tech (or yourself) didn't apply it properly, if at all.

Old 04-01-2011, 02:59 PM

861 posts, read 2,292,772 times
It is very common for new brakes to squeak. The pads are slowly bedding themselves into the rotors and this is a normal process. The quiet paste that ships with pads is a gimmick and there is no "linkage" to lube that would cause a squeak. Give it a week and if the noise doesn't go away call the place that did the brakes.

It could also be the pad material used. If you had the brakes done at one of the "lifetime warranty" or "$69.99 brake special" places then you just might have to live with it. They tend to use Semi-Metallic pads tat are more prone to squeaks and squeals than other compounds.

Old 04-01-2011, 03:55 PM

6,368 posts, read 13,342,993 times
A high quality brake pad and the proper rotor surface along with replacing the hardware (and pad shims if equipped) and lubricating the caliper slides and pad contact areas will eliminate most if not all brake noise. Sure it costs more, but that's called doing it right the first time.

And that anti-squeal goo is worthless. I stopped using it 25 years ago.

Old 04-02-2011, 08:02 PM

1,805 posts, read 2,095,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johna01374 View Post
It is very common for new brakes to squeak. .

no, actually its not, if they are installed properly. 3 causes:

no caliper grease was applied to the backside of the brake pads.

no shims are present (and should be) on the brakes in question

warped rotors (youd feel it vibrate when you apply the brakes)

Old 04-02-2011, 08:14 PM

5,162 posts, read 10,472,822 times
Would a lack of not de-glazing the rotors be a factor ??

Old 04-02-2011, 08:20 PM

1,805 posts, read 2,095,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irman View Post
Would a lack of not de-glazing the rotors be a factor ??
if your rotors are glazed, that means theyre getting too hot and not cooling down properly. theyre probably warped and yes, glazed rotors can defiantly cause squeals.

Old 04-04-2011, 10:22 AM

5,229 posts, read 11,481,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johna01374 View Post
It is very common for new brakes to squeak. The pads are slowly bedding themselves into the rotors and this is a normal process. The quiet paste that ships with pads is a gimmick and there is no "linkage" to lube that would cause a squeak.
Um, you don't quite understand how the squeak occurs, do you? You're not lubing a linkage, you're providing a coating between the steel backing of the pad and the steel piston ring/caliper prongs, that otherwise "squeaks" under the high frequency vibration of the pad against the piston as you apply the brakes. You're not "greasing a linkage" with it, but putting a smooth coating on the pad backing plate (which is why you're supposed to let it dry on the pad before installing).

Old 04-07-2011, 05:18 PM

2,497 posts, read 6,233,570 times
Its American of course it's gonna squeek and do wierd stuff that the norm with domestics! lol. JK! (kinda) My gf's PT Cruiser/part time cruiser has had squeeky brakes since she got it in 2006. Had 3 brake jobs and the same result, squeeky. It's a domestic thing. Sad but true. None of my Hondas or Toys ever did this my her Chrysler and my 2 old Chevys always made brake and other noise.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive