U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2011, 06:24 PM

249 posts, read 412,339 times

Advertisements

If I could afford it, I'd get a new car every year lol.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2011, 06:43 PM

6,192 posts, read 7,283,305 times
I'm also a "drive it until the wheels fall off" type, as long as it's a vehicle I like; I don't give a hoot about anyone else thinking less of me for driving an older vehicle.

I have a 16 year old small truck with almost 250K...it still looks decent and gets the job done...not my daily driver but I see no reason to give it up - trucks are always handy. I take care of it and it would be cool to get to half a million miles!

I had an '85 Subie wagon once, loved it, great car. Bought it used with about 130K, sold it with a little over 200K only because I needed something bigger at the time.

Here in Michigan the big killer is rust, it seems. It can rot away not only the body and cosmetic parts, but more critical things like brake lines, catalytic converters, etc, unless you keep a car clean and garaged for much of the winter.

Old 04-02-2011, 07:15 PM

15,099 posts, read 7,551,772 times
drive the car until it blows up, or burns to the ground. my 77 olds has 168,000 miles on it and it still runs great. my falcon and my mustang are in the process of being restored, and my mothers mercury sable has just over 60,000 miles on it, and it is 14 years old. mileage doesnt mean anything, condition does. and if you keep the car properly maintained and in good condition, there is no reason to get rid of the car.

Old 04-02-2011, 11:23 PM

91 posts, read 204,710 times
Trying to get my car to drive forever.

I own a 6 year old Mercedes, and I never get bored of it. I bought this car pre-owned with my hard earned money and I don't want to see it going to waste, especially since it is my first car.

Old 04-03-2011, 10:22 AM

127 posts, read 168,138 times
I wish I had the mindset to keep a vehicle long term and save some money lol but Im an every 2-3 years 40-50,000 mile trade type guy

Old 04-03-2011, 01:19 PM

11,277 posts, read 18,945,577 times
I have a daily driver that is over 30 yrs old. It is fine.

You don't mention your climate or if it is in a a garage, (That is a big help to keep rubber from UV (sun damage) and radical temp changes.)

If stored inside: (winter and summer are tough on cars)
I would recommend annual oil and filter changes in the late fall (Using a synthetic) Have the mechanic coat the rubber CV boots with silicone spray to keep them from cracking.
Belts, anitfreeze, brake fluid, and hoses every 10 yrs or before a long hot or cold trip.
Wipers, Fuel, and air filter changes every 3 yrs (in fall)
Keep the fuel tank relatively full (less evaporation / condensation)
Keep the car ventilated and shaded (To preserve interior and plastics)

Old 04-03-2011, 07:08 PM

4,066 posts, read 13,372,339 times
Wow, after reading this thread I can see we are a bit extravagant in our car decisions.

Our last family car was only 13 years old with about 120K miles on it when we replaced it. After a series of component failures, one that interrupted a long trip, we decided to buy a newer vehicle. Sure we could have kept the car for a lot longer but it was not as satisfying or economical to drive as we would like.

Yes, with good common sense planning, maintenance, and repair many vehicles are capable of decades of service and hundreds of thousands of miles.

Old 04-03-2011, 07:50 PM

1,169 posts, read 3,706,075 times
Just keep the car. I have a 2001 Volvo S60 that will hit 50,000 miles this years. I don't work, so I don't put a lot of miles on it. In the past year, I got new tires, brakes, timing belt, water pump and checked the fluids. The fuel pump and throttle module have also been replaced recently under a recall and an extended warranty by Volvo. So it's like having a new car all over again. The outside is well maintained by hubby and it only has one scratch on it that I put on by accident years ago when taking out the trash can.

When I took the car in for the warranty & recall work back in February, the Volvo dealership gave me a loaded out 2011 Volvo S60 T6 with 300 hp. *cries* Beautiful car, fell in love with it, but right now I can't justify the $$ each month when my car is paid for.

You might want to see about a new timing belt. I took my car in for a look over and they asked if I had changed it... I was clueless. Apparently I should have changed it at 7 years. New timing belt or new engine... I'll go with a new timing belt.

Old 04-04-2011, 11:06 AM

4,925 posts, read 5,501,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martha Anne View Post
How long does one keep these cars? We love this car, by the way. Handles great, good storage, etc. Love the AWD.
Since you love it, keep it until you don't. Don't care how old it is in years. That's how long people should own their cars, and that can vary by person and car. If you don't love your car after 2-3 years, you shouldn't have to keep it. If you still love it after 10-15 years, you shouldn't have to get rid of it.

I've had used cars for a couple months, and I've had ones for 5 years. I like all kinds of cars, however, and like to switch them up even if I like them, which is why I've had over a hundred cars in the last 30 years.

Old 04-04-2011, 02:32 PM

795 posts, read 832,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTOlover View Post
my 1991 F250 is still going strong after 20 year and hard abuse off-road and towing a power boat through the rockey mountins every summer.

it is easy to work on a and find parts for and is not dealer dependant so it is easy to work on.

I mean it is on the OEM 5.0EFI is under powered but I have a nice 5.8 windsor block and set of ported GT 40 heads and intake and aiting to go in since I decided to keep the truck but I might just go get 408W stroker kit and punchh it out for big block torque out of a SBF and still have it run EFI.

YouTube - 408w Mustang In Car Pulls And Street Burnouts 408
this motor just in a lifted F250

I'm replacing my intake manifold with a GT40 too. Was gonna go with an explorer intake or cobra intake but the GT40s look so much better. Good luck with the build. It'll look and sound beautiful when its done.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive