U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2011, 08:05 PM

18,112 posts, read 16,654,923 times

Advertisements

An outside car is fine as long as you maintain the outside of it. I.E. wash and wax on a regular basis. My 9 year old Tacoma looks as good as new because I take care of it and wax it 3 times a year at least.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2011, 02:34 PM

5,229 posts, read 11,502,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martha Anne View Post
(Sorry it took so long to respond. I was sick.)

Well, do you know enough about cars to answer this one for me? I would appreciate it!

Since we toodle around locally, mainly, using the local highway for maybe 20 minute drives, as well, if we keep this car for another, say, 6 years, and continue to maintain it meticulously at our Subaru Dealer (we get oil changes and all that they recommend every 6 months at least):

Can we feel safe, if it is, say 15 years old, driving it from NY to Boston?

If it is well maintained?

Thanks!
Asking if a 15 year old car is safe to go from NY to Boston? I've taken my 12 year old car from Baltimore to Boston and it has 185k miles on it. I took my '85 Cadillac to Boston and back and it was 20 years old at the time and NOT well maintained before I had it. I'd take my 12 year old car across the country right now. 15 years old is nothing and NY to Boston is definitely nothing.

Old 04-11-2011, 03:53 PM

210 posts, read 162,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merc63 View Post
Asking if a 15 year old car is safe to go from NY to Boston? I've taken my 12 year old car from Baltimore to Boston and it has 185k miles on it. I took my '85 Cadillac to Boston and back and it was 20 years old at the time and NOT well maintained before I had it. I'd take my 12 year old car across the country right now. 15 years old is nothing and NY to Boston is definitely nothing.
i have a 1987 Lincoln with 270,000 miles which i drive everywhere

Old 05-03-2011, 09:37 PM

2,079 posts, read 3,240,681 times
Default Glad we can drive it to Boston

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merc63 View Post
OK, thanks. I have been telling my husband lately that we ought to keep this car for another 7 years (it's a 2002 with only 35K miles on it, we take it to the dealer for service every few months -oil change and whatever) because we use it so little. (We walk a lot.) I don't care if it costs us, instead of the current $50 each way to Boston from NYC, $100 each way, eventually, because we still don't drive all that much. And, a big reason, we just LOVE this little car. With the weather as it has been lately in the winter, it's like my old winters in Boston, lots of snow and ice, and this car never gets stuck.

But I have never held onto a car for very long. Bought them old, kept them for maybe 5 years and then bought another old car.

Old 05-03-2011, 09:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trlhiker View Post
Absolutely. That distance is easy in a well maintained vehicle. I would have no problem driving my 1992 4Runner from North Carolina to Boston because I keep it maintained properly. I have had it since 1994 so I know most of its history.
You'll laugh: I asked this mainly because I worry about the undercarriage rusting out or something. If it is, say, 15 + years old. I have this phobia nightmare of the bottom falling out LOL!

Old 05-03-2011, 09:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dennismpat View Post
I have to agree with most everyone else and say by all means, keep your current car. My current car is a 1995 Mazda Protege with over 213,000 miles on it but it still runs like new. I plan on keeping this car until it dies. I especially like not having a monthly car payment--just the usual maintenance, gas, etc. That being said, I won't be in the market for a new(er) car for a long time.
And you probably like your car, too, or you would not have purchased it in the first place , right?

Old 05-04-2011, 01:37 AM

773 posts, read 2,005,411 times
Default How long can you keep your car?

The paint will fade and some body rust will occur if you keep it outside in a climate like New York. Mechanically it should be fine if you have it serviced regularly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martha Anne View Post
Can we feel safe, if it is, say 15 years old, driving it from NY to Boston?
If you are referring to weekend or one-week visits, you could always rent a car. Seriously.

Old 05-04-2011, 09:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zea mays View Post
The paint will fade and some body rust will occur if you keep it outside in a climate like New York. Mechanically it should be fine if you have it serviced regularly.

If you are referring to weekend or one-week visits, you could always rent a car. Seriously.

I guess that is what I had in the back of my mind: That keeping this car, which must be, unfortunately, kept in the driveway, will be a problem after it is, say, 14 years old. The rust issue.

But I would never want to rent a car for a long trip. I like using my own vehicle for a lot of reasons.

Old 05-05-2011, 02:45 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
20,835 posts, read 37,528,120 times
Yikes, I'm glad I don't live in the 'rust-belt', I drive a fleet of 30 yr old cars & would do a 'cross country' trip in any of them.

If you have something your really like and rust gets to it... Use crazedlist and search by SW or West Coast and find an identical replacement. BEFORE you bring it into 'rust-belt' for a winter, have the underside steamed and painted VERY WELL. I often buy from Dallas to LA (I-10) then up the west coast to Vancouver BC. I can fly for $89 and drive home, or pay ~ $800 to ship. (I get cars much cheaper than $800, and they get 50 mpg, so driving them home is no big deal). You can EZly buy a car online, and I often have a local person, who I find on a forum specific to that car, check it out.

I rent cars for long distance all the time (cheaper than putting extra mileage on my own fleet). I often get rental cars for $12 - $16 / day on priceline - UNLIMITED mileage. I put well over 10,000k on rental cars each yr, sometimes many times that amount (like when living in Spain, ~10,000km / month).

Old 05-05-2011, 06:36 AM

33,167 posts, read 39,157,360 times
How long can you keep your car?
Guess it depends how motivated you are..

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive