Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2011, 02:06 PM

4,343 posts, read 14,776,677 times

Advertisements

The warranty is almost up on my moms car and this company True Auto Protection is trying to sell her a new one. I searched for complaints about them and haven't found any. Has anyone had experience with them and what do you think? Her car is a 2006, she is not in a position to pay if something major does go wrong so she wants to get it. I told her that cars are built better these days and it's not likely something major will go wrong in the next four yrs which is how long the warranty would cover. At the same time I don't want her to be stuck in a bad situation if something did go wrong.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2011, 02:35 PM

16,956 posts, read 16,753,748 times
Exclamation beware

I would be very leery of these Auto Warranty Companies.

This is what I experienced on the phone. :

Within 2 minutes they wanted my credit card to charge me over $ 3,000 for the warranty. I asked for a copy of the coverages and was told I had to sign a contract BEFORE I could view any material and that an expressed agreement over the phone authorized them to take the $ 3,000.

I hung up.

And began investigating..

The repairs are also weak, tied to numerous conditions and limits in which they will repair your car.

Even a problem you have after signing, they find an excuse or a limitation to what they will cover : Which is usually next to NOTHING.

( The idea for them is to collect your money and dodge all claims for work )

Here is a letter :

I have received a bunch of these warranty expiration notices, so I decided to respond to one from V***** Services in St. Peters, Mo.
I gave the salesman, Corey, my real name and valid information about my car.
Before he would give me the price, Corey passed me off to Chris, the program director. Chris explained that this was a one-time deal and if I said no, their computer system would “automatically delete” my files at the end of the phone call. That was clearly designed to put pressure on me to make an on-the-spot decision.

Now it was Corey’s turn to close the deal. He had good news. I “qualified” for full coverage: four years or 48,000 miles. And he was going to waive the vehicle inspection.

By activating my coverage today, I would get 20 percent off the retail price. With that discount, the cost of the four-year coverage was $3,110 or $777 a year. Corey offered a variety of payment plans and pointed out several times that this was not a contract. “You are not obligating yourself to anything,” he kept saying.

“Can you guys send me this policy, so I can see all this in writing and I can get back to you?” I asked.

“We don’t actually send out any paperwork without receiving a down payment,” Corey explained. He said once I paid, the policy would be mailed to me within seven to 10 business days.

It is a SCAM.

Be careful who you select.

What's better for your mom is this : Keep her $ warranty money and deposit into an account specifically designed for future car repairs.

She will fare much better than handing them a ton of money and getting very limited mediocore coverage.

I could not find anything on this company. I can't vouch for anything they have promised.

Buyer Beware

Old 04-02-2011, 02:40 PM

22,184 posts, read 14,808,285 times
Good Advice!

Old 04-02-2011, 02:57 PM

4,246 posts, read 12,025,375 times
3rd party warranties are worthless. They are in business to not do the work.

Old 04-02-2011, 05:49 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,848,488 times
God I get them years after mine goes out fo warrnty. I also only recomend manufacturer warranties as to extended.

Old 04-02-2011, 08:25 PM

1,384 posts, read 3,176,880 times
Don't waste your money.

Old 04-03-2011, 09:28 AM

Thanks everyone. I agree and don't think she should get it but she's afraid something will go wrong. She has no back up if it does.

Old 04-03-2011, 10:08 AM

5,007 posts, read 15,422,379 times
Is her factory warranty almost up? If so, see if you can re-up it.

Old 04-03-2011, 10:58 AM

18,700 posts, read 42,057,790 times
I found out that I could get an extended warrantee through my normal insurance company at half the price of any offered on the net or in the yellow pages.

I got the extended warrantee through my insurance and about a year later, while on a trip, I blew the engine. Towed it into a mechanic and he determined it needed a complete overhaul. I paid for it when completed and when I returned home I turned it into my insurance. The cut me a check the same day and asked no questions.

Old 04-04-2011, 06:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElkHunter View Post
I found out that I could get an extended warrantee through my normal insurance company at half the price of any offered on the net or in the yellow pages.

I got the extended warrantee through my insurance and about a year later, while on a trip, I blew the engine. Towed it into a mechanic and he determined it needed a complete overhaul. I paid for it when completed and when I returned home I turned it into my insurance. The cut me a check the same day and asked no questions.
May I ask what insurance company you use?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive