Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2011, 07:20 PM

5,245 posts, read 16,422,203 times

Advertisements

I've always had small cars. Usually a sporty type car or small roadster though I've occasionally driven a sedan briefly and hated it.

In October I lost my job. At the time we had a Trailblazer we just bought (used, as always) in November and a Miata I'd had a year and a half or so. With the loss of my job two cars was kind of pointless. I was considering not going back to work, just retiring early, so I sold the Miata. Given the choice between the two there was no other option. Hubby is disabled and not able to get into a passenger car due to his condition. Aside from that I do rescue and need a vehicle I can transport dogs in, we're remodeling our house so need to be able to transport lumber and other building supplies, and have 5 kids who are moved out but do come back occasionally and we like being able to take a single vehicle. So the Miata went bye-bye.

Today my daughter asked me to do to her dress fitting for her prom dress. It's an hour from home and I'm not familiar with the area at all so I was meeting her about 20 minutes from the house. As I approached a flashing light (I had the yellow, she had the red) she never stopped and ran right in front of me. I braked and turned but there was no way to avoid her. We collided on the side of the road and I wound up way up and embankment.

The Trailblazer was at a pretty steep angle and I was afraid of it rolling if I moved to fast, but it wound up fine. I got out, just a bumped knee, to find her in MAJOR pain. She was bleeding from her face and arm and couldn't walk. Thankfully two other vehicles were at the intersection and witnessed it and were to her before I could get out. I moved everyone back afraid the Trailblazer may still roll as all the weight was on the driver's side tires leaning that way.

Ambulance arrived and thought she may have broken her foot and wrist but she turned out okay. She'll be feeling it tomorrow. They said if she had a passenger they would have been killed on impact. She said she has a three year old baby and had almost brought her with her. Thank God she decided to leave her with a sitter.

The Trailblazer is awaiting insurance appraisal but the mechanic we use said he thinks we can just replace the front clip, hood, drivers side panel in front of the door and put it right back on the road. Just waiting to see if the frame was damaged. But it still starts right up and drives just fine.

After this I will NEVER drive a small car again. From now until the day I die I'll ONLY drive an SUV. There are plenty 'dirt people' that think they should be outlawed for people with no kids. To you I say, if that were the case I may not be here right now. If you want to 'save the planet' and drive your little go carts, go for it. But I'll be the one in the biggest SUV I can find. Although honestly, as well as the Trailblazer handled this, I just may keep buying those. I REALLY impressed me!
Attached Thumbnails
I'm an offical SUV fan-othercar.bmp   I'm an offical SUV fan-parked.bmp  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2011, 07:22 PM

5,245 posts, read 16,422,203 times
Attaching photo of damage to the Trailblazer
Attached Thumbnails
I'm an offical SUV fan-015.jpg  

Old 04-02-2011, 07:32 PM

572 posts, read 1,610,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrs1885 View Post
I've always had small cars. Usually a sporty type car or small roadster though I've occasionally driven a sedan briefly and hated it.

In October I lost my job. At the time we had a Trailblazer we just bought (used, as always) in November and a Miata I'd had a year and a half or so. With the loss of my job two cars was kind of pointless. I was considering not going back to work, just retiring early, so I sold the Miata. Given the choice between the two there was no other option. Hubby is disabled and not able to get into a passenger car due to his condition. Aside from that I do rescue and need a vehicle I can transport dogs in, we're remodeling our house so need to be able to transport lumber and other building supplies, and have 5 kids who are moved out but do come back occasionally and we like being able to take a single vehicle. So the Miata went bye-bye.

Today my daughter asked me to do to her dress fitting for her prom dress. It's an hour from home and I'm not familiar with the area at all so I was meeting her about 20 minutes from the house. As I approached a flashing light (I had the yellow, she had the red) she never stopped and ran right in front of me. I braked and turned but there was no way to avoid her. We collided on the side of the road and I wound up way up and embankment.

The Trailblazer was at a pretty steep angle and I was afraid of it rolling if I moved to fast, but it wound up fine. I got out, just a bumped knee, to find her in MAJOR pain. She was bleeding from her face and arm and couldn't walk. Thankfully two other vehicles were at the intersection and witnessed it and were to her before I could get out. I moved everyone back afraid the Trailblazer may still roll as all the weight was on the driver's side tires leaning that way.

Ambulance arrived and thought she may have broken her foot and wrist but she turned out okay. She'll be feeling it tomorrow. They said if she had a passenger they would have been killed on impact. She said she has a three year old baby and had almost brought her with her. Thank God she decided to leave her with a sitter.

The Trailblazer is awaiting insurance appraisal but the mechanic we use said he thinks we can just replace the front clip, hood, drivers side panel in front of the door and put it right back on the road. Just waiting to see if the frame was damaged. But it still starts right up and drives just fine.

After this I will NEVER drive a small car again. From now until the day I die I'll ONLY drive an SUV. There are plenty 'dirt people' that think they should be outlawed for people with no kids. To you I say, if that were the case I may not be here right now. If you want to 'save the planet' and drive your little go carts, go for it. But I'll be the one in the biggest SUV I can find. Although honestly, as well as the Trailblazer handled this, I just may keep buying those. I REALLY impressed me!

SUV's are typically sturdy but they aren't good handling vehicles and they drink a lot of gas which is why I'll never own one. I'm glad you weren't injured in the accident but it might have been avoided if you were driving a better handling vehicle. Not knocking SUV's, just saying that all vehicles have pluses and minuses in regards to safety. Your Miata might not have faired as well in a collision but had you been driving it your chances of avoiding the accident completely would have definately increased.

Old 04-02-2011, 07:33 PM

11,039 posts, read 16,851,256 times
"Dirt people?" Ummm...

Old 04-02-2011, 07:41 PM

572 posts, read 1,610,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 415_s2k View Post
"Dirt people?" Ummm...
That made me giggle.

Old 04-02-2011, 08:47 PM

1,384 posts, read 3,175,995 times
So you're sold on SUV's because they inflict the most damage? Had this happened on a smaller car, maybe you could've avoided the collision altogether, or at least, there wouldn't be as much damage to either car. Medium and full size sedans are safer overall.

frontline: rollover: before you buy an suv... | PBS
Quote:
A Few Facts About SUVs and Safety
  • There will be an estimated 70,000 SUV rollovers in 2002, in which it's estimated 2000 people will die.
  • In the 10-year period during which Ford-Firestone related rollovers caused some 300 deaths, more than 12,000 people -- 40 times as many -- died in SUV rollover crashes unrelated to tire failure.
  • A Ford Explorer is 16 times as likely as the typical family car to kill occupants of another vehicle in a crash.
eetd.lbl.gov/ea/teepa/pdf/TRB_Safety_1-03.pdf

Old 04-02-2011, 09:01 PM

81 posts, read 238,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrs1885 View Post

Her post is the reason why women will be considered to be the less logical of the sexes. SMH

Old 04-02-2011, 09:53 PM

5,730 posts, read 10,122,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Time2Travel View Post
SUV's are typically sturdy but they aren't good handling vehicles and they drink a lot of gas which is why I'll never own one. I'm glad you weren't injured in the accident but it might have been avoided if you were driving a better handling vehicle. Not knocking SUV's, just saying that all vehicles have pluses and minuses in regards to safety. Your Miata might not have faired as well in a collision but had you been driving it your chances of avoiding the accident completely would have definately increased.
Yes you are. (Attempting to do so)

I was rear ended sitting at a light in my Altima, which caused lifelong spinal damage.

It is likely that I would not have sustained serious injury in a larger vehicle.

I also will be driving ether larger cars, or the batter handling bikes.

Old 04-02-2011, 09:59 PM

498 posts, read 1,455,092 times
If you really value safety, you should consider something like a Volvo. SUVs may keep you safe but they can be deadly to people in older, smaller cars, such as the case here. Volvo designed their XC90 SUV with that in mind, so it inflicts less damage to other cars. Luckily more companies are taking that approach to designing their SUVs these days. The past decade has been a Renaissance for automotive safety though. Standards have increased astronomically across the industry. Many new small cars and mid-size sedans are just as safe as anything, and much safer than some SUVs. The car pictured was obviously quite old, explaining the destruction.

Old 04-02-2011, 10:01 PM

11,039 posts, read 16,851,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Themanwithnoname View Post
Yes you are. (Attempting to do so)

I was rear ended sitting at a light in my Altima, which caused lifelong spinal damage.

It is likely that I would not have sustained serious injury in a larger vehicle.

I also will be driving ether larger cars, or the batter handling bikes.
I was sitting at a light and got rear-ended by a Suburban going about 40-45 whose driver hit the brakes about six feet before the impact, and plowed me into the van in front of me. Then there was a secondary impact that smashed me back into the front of the Suburban.

I walked away fine and have no lasting injuries whatsoever.

I had a friend who died in an Explorer rollover in '07. That thing was way bigger than my Jetta. My Jetta was smaller than your Altima, too.

And then there are my two friends who had Imprezas; one lost control of his 2009 when someone cut him off on a wet freeway and he spun, then hit a concrete retaining wall backwards and the impact was about 50mph. The back window didn't even shatter. The other was next to a truck that jackknifed, and the trailer fell on top of it, crushing it. Both of them walked away with no injuries.

It's not really the size of the car as much as it is what type of car it is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive