Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-04-2011, 06:41 PM

11,054 posts, read 16,753,813 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleet View Post
Don't need a lot of ugly plastic to do that.

Older cars used hood insulation...

They still do use insulation under the hood, as well. That's why most new cars are quieter than most older cars.
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2011, 07:34 PM

2,057 posts, read 5,298,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merc63 View Post
Pain in the ass? It takes like 30 seconds to get all of it off. 10 seconds on my car: 4 pushbottons on the top and it lifts right up. The VW TDi I worked on this weekend took 2 10mm bolts, but still only about 30 seconds to get off.

It's really not that hard to get off, and needs to be easy so the techs in the dealership don't spend much time on it for warranty work.
not just that though. the way todays engines are squeezed into the bay. My Ford fusion is an excellent car but Im sure as hell not going to try to fix it if something goes wrong. Its transverse in the bay and the plugs and wires back there are nearly impossible to reach.

Old 04-04-2011, 08:28 PM

4,237 posts, read 24,694,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iTsLiKeAnEgG View Post
Most older engine bays looked like crap, hoses and wires protruding from everywhere.
Even this one?

Old 04-05-2011, 01:43 AM

3,046 posts, read 6,259,230 times
Deez Nuttz, I see nothing wrong with that engine bay! Wish new cars had an engine bay worth looking at like that!

Old 04-05-2011, 02:30 AM

24,453 posts, read 33,130,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 12GO View Post
Deez Nuttz, I see nothing wrong with that engine bay! Wish new cars had an engine bay worth looking at like that!
I agree. Look, you can actually see not only the engine but the spark plugs!

Old 04-05-2011, 07:46 AM

5,228 posts, read 15,192,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Innotech View Post
not just that though. the way todays engines are squeezed into the bay. My Ford fusion is an excellent car but Im sure as hell not going to try to fix it if something goes wrong. Its transverse in the bay and the plugs and wires back there are nearly impossible to reach.
Yeah, FWD V6 cars are like that. But that's got nothing to do with the covers, and usually the kinds of cars that are not owned by enthusiasts. (My SVT Contour and a vew of the VR6 VWs and Alfas are exceptions) As was shown, my BMW is easy to get to stuff, the S2k is easy, most FWD 4 cyl cars, etc. Once you remove the covers, even the luxury cars are pretty easy to get to everything.

The covers are not the PITA part, as they are easy to take off, and since we are TALKING about the covers, how hard it is to work on your FWD V6 car AFTER the covers are OFF really is a moot point.

Old 04-05-2011, 07:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deez Nuttz View Post
Even this one?

He did say "most" not ALL. But hey, why don't you move up to the '70s and the early '80s and the emissions control era where they band-aided the engines with 47 million vacuum hoses laid all over with no rhyme or reason? Hmm?

Old 04-05-2011, 09:07 AM

11,787 posts, read 17,643,035 times
^That looks horrible^

Also, I find it funny some people are using custom hot rods to depict what a "nice engine" should look like if it wasn't for those "silly" covers.

A lot of those old "clean" looking cars don't have a/c, power steering, ABS, cruise or fuel injection. And they certainly won't pass today's emissions.

Old 04-05-2011, 09:15 AM

1,890 posts, read 2,643,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourian View Post
^That looks horrible^

Also, I find it funny some people are using custom hot rods to depict what a "nice engine" should look like if it wasn't for those "silly" covers.

A lot of those old "clean" looking cars don't have a/c, power steering, ABS, cruise or fuel injection. And they certainly won't pass today's emissions.
Old cars won't pass emissions? What an incredibly naive view.

Old 04-05-2011, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourian View Post
^That looks horrible^

Um, I posted those engines to show what styled engine compartments are like, with covers, doing the same job as modern covers. The Foose stuff I posted was in defence of covers, not as a rebuttal to covers.

Oh, and those Foose engines, especially the silver one, has AC, power steering, cruise, and fuel injection.

They are just under the covers.

is:

And this:

is this:

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive