U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2011, 08:33 AM

11,790 posts, read 12,632,569 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lariat View Post
Old cars won't pass emissions? What an incredibly naive view.
Please elaborate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merc63 View Post
Um, I posted those engines to show what styled engine compartments are like, with covers, doing the same job as modern covers. The Foose stuff I posted was in defence of covers, not as a rebuttal to covers.

Oh, and those Foose engines, especially the silver one, has AC, power steering, cruise, and fuel injection.

They are just under the covers.
I realize that, however what does the average Foose design go for? 200, 300K?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2011, 08:41 AM

7,780 posts, read 17,779,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lariat View Post
Old cars won't pass emissions? What an incredibly naive view.

he said won't pass today's emissions. And he is 100% correct

Old 04-05-2011, 08:48 AM

5,229 posts, read 11,481,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourian View Post
I realize that, however what does the average Foose design go for? 200, 300K?
I'm doing the same with my '63 Comet and it's not costing me much at all.

Again, the point was that the hot rods posted were the ones *I* posted to show the benefits of covers (I even said so just before the pictures), yet you were claiming they were posted to show what an engine looks like WITHOUT covers. That's not why they were posted, so I told you you were wrong.

Old 04-05-2011, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Again, the point was that the hot rods posted were the ones *I* posted to show the benefits of covers (I even said so just before the pictures), yet you were claiming they were posted to show what an engine looks like WITHOUT covers. That's not why they were posted, so I told you you were wrong.
Which is why I said "some people", not specifically Mer63. However, even with the Foose deisgns, I still do not see the point of comparing any old car/ old custom car/ old custom car that costs nearly half a mil to a common luxury car with covers, they just aren't built with the same standards in mind. It's not like you can peel the cover off a Lexus and voila, it looks as pretty as anything you posted:

Old 04-05-2011, 11:53 AM

5,229 posts, read 11,481,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourian View Post
Which is why I said "some people", not specifically Mer63.

Well, I'm the only one posting old hot rod engines, so you din't HAVE to specify.

Quote:
However, even with the Foose deisgns, I still do not see the point of comparing any old car/ old custom car/ old custom car that costs nearly half a mil to a common luxury car with covers, they just aren't built with the same standards in mind. It's not like you can peel the cover off a Lexus and voila, it looks as pretty as anything you posted:
The covers cover up the ugly bits on both cars. Which is why I posted the Foose engines with te covers removed. They anre' t to make the cars harder to work on, they are for acoustics and aesthetics, on both the Foose cars and on teh modern oluxury cars.

And then I posted the '70s and '80s style engines that came before teh covers, to show what they were covering up (as they were seriousl NOT easy to work on and get to everyting just because they didn't have covers on). In fact, cars like my BMW are better laid out and easier to work on than those '70s and '80s cars with no covers.

In any case, I posted the Foose cars to show that covers are great, and to counter the idea that the covers are evil.

Old 04-05-2011, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Well, I'm the only one posting old hot rod engines, so you din't HAVE to specify.
I thought there were some others.

Quote:
The covers cover up the ugly bits on both cars. Which is why I posted the Foose engines with te covers removed. They anre' t to make the cars harder to work on, they are for acoustics and aesthetics, on both the Foose cars and on teh modern oluxury cars.
I totally agree with that. I do not think covers make the cars hard to work on. I just think that todays cars with their coil on plug ignition, direct injection, polution controls will NEVER be as pretty has a Foose or custom car no matter what anyone does - like for instance the LExus V8 pictured above. I don't think covers are evil.

I love the "floating" engine look of a good wire tuck though.

Old 04-05-2011, 02:11 PM

4,114 posts, read 7,599,227 times
Here are a few pics from Feb's Naples Car Show...
some decent looking engine/engine bays.
GL, mD

'57 Chevy

FCar engine, under glass:

Restored E Jag:

FCar...serious air plumbing:

Only a handful of Koenigsegg CCXR2 in the US, but engine is buried:

'76 Vette, TwinQuad 4 bbl:

Garrett Supercharged Z06; his dyno chart said ~760 HP, and it had slicks on...

My '02 Vert...the motor is as boring as the first pic in this thread, but it's a fun, fastazz car.

Thanks for looking!
GL, mD

Old 04-05-2011, 04:22 PM

7,780 posts, read 17,779,267 times
that top one is not a 57 Chevy. Thats a W block. Never put in a 57.

what is a TwinQuad 4 bbl?? No such thing. U think you mean a dual quad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by motordavid View Post
Here are a few pics from Feb's Naples Car Show...
some decent looking engine/engine bays.
GL, mD

'57 Chevy

FCar engine, under glass:

Restored E Jag:

FCar...serious air plumbing:

Only a handful of Koenigsegg CCXR2 in the US, but engine is buried:

'76 Vette, TwinQuad 4 bbl:

Garrett Supercharged Z06; his dyno chart said ~760 HP, and it had slicks on...

My '02 Vert...the motor is as boring as the first pic in this thread, but it's a fun, fastazz car.

Thanks for looking!
GL, mD

Old 04-05-2011, 05:52 PM

4,114 posts, read 7,599,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frankgn87 View Post
that top one is not a 57 Chevy. Thats a W block. Never put in a 57.

what is a TwinQuad 4 bbl?? No such thing. U think you mean a dual quad.
Hey, Frank...the car in pic one was a '57; didn't take notes on the engine...sometimes we called them 'twin quad' back in Detroit. Sorry I didn't due more DD.

I'll skip the captions next time.

Old 04-05-2011, 07:17 PM

9,620 posts, read 12,783,261 times
Quote:
Yeah, FWD V6 cars are like that. But that's got nothing to do with the covers, and usually the kinds of cars that are not owned by enthusiasts. (My SVT Contour and a vew of the VR6 VWs and Alfas are exceptions) As was shown, my BMW is easy to get to stuff, the S2k is easy, most FWD 4 cyl cars, etc. Once you remove the covers, even the luxury cars are pretty easy to get to everything.

The covers are not the PITA part, as they are easy to take off, and since we are TALKING about the covers, how hard it is to work on your FWD V6 car AFTER the covers are OFF really is a moot point.
I had a Mk4 Jetta with a VR6, and it was shoehorned into that little chassis pretty good:

Even despite the plastic was really easy to get at the plugs and all the basic stuff.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or