U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2011, 09:35 AM

1,321 posts, read 1,735,550 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
You have cheezy friends who ask to drive your ultra expensive car?
Wow. Sorry...that sucks.

I will let people I trust drive my cars, but my rule is this:

If they can pay the full cash value up front of the car (and I trust their driving), they can drive it. Usually I offer to people I know are interested and I know would enjoy a test drive. Those people can all drive stick.
When I used to go on dates in an automatic C4, a lot of them would ask to drive it and unless they were drunk, I'd usually let them. Only one has asked to drive the Z (a smoking hot blonde German who coddled it).

I've let my few buddies who wanted to drive it. One is a county sheriff and another is his operations division commander. I figure they can get out of a speeding ticket if need be. Another is the first named partner in one of the larger local law firms. He's good for it if anything happens. I've also let my brother drive it, who let me drive his C4 ZR-1 in return.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2011, 09:46 AM

42,226 posts, read 49,783,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merc63 View Post

Fine. Have you made any claims about buttons yet? Have you said that those that like or own radios with buttons instead have poor musical taste or can't listen to the radio with as much clarity? No, I don't think you have.
Oh, crap...all my radio stuff is touch-screen. It must mean I don't like music and can't truly appreciate it.

Old 04-10-2011, 02:02 AM

3,398 posts, read 5,465,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
From a repair perspective, on a stick shift the clutch will give some warning that its wearing out and then can be replaced at a convenient time in the very near future ,on an automatic there's no warning it just doesnt work anymore, its also a lot cheaper to replace a clutch plate than an entire automatic transmission.
Actually, these days, we call that a Check Engine Light.

Just saying.

Anyone here with a GM RWD product who has seen code P1870 knows that much...

Old 04-10-2011, 02:09 AM

3,398 posts, read 5,465,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merc63 View Post
the one manual trans I neded to have repaired cost me $100 in parts. the one automatic I've need to have repaired needed $16 in parts. I built up a racing manual trans for $1500 and a racing automatic for $500.

And again, as I've said repeatedly, my daily driver BMW 740iL has an automatic, that has 185k on it, and is still on it's original fluid, never needing repairs. Counters your ONE example quite nicely.

So can we PLEASE stop with the "automatics always cost more to own/repair" mentality?
Werd.

My old Ranger with the Mazda 5-speed was known for having these crappy rubber plugs under the shifter wear away and spill trans fluid everywhere on the road and there was that one time the shifter broke loose enough to the point that I was spinning the whole damn thing around in my hand.

If you've never jammed a shifter back down into that hole at a stop sign on the fly and made it work, you haven't lived yet.

Never had such adventures with the F150. Or my Crown Vic PI...

Anyway, I've given credit to auto trans where due.

Signed,

A former hard core gear rower.

Old 09-09-2012, 05:49 PM

1 posts, read 1,013 times
A stick shift is better for many reasons: a) more gas mileage; b) easier on the transmission c) more oomph when you need it! The automatic takes longer to kick in than a stick shift takes to go from 4th gear to "drop" into the 3rd gear when you need it d) by the same token, mileage drops faster even by merely taking the foot off the 'gas' OR down shifting, than the automatic does, when you need it the most. e) if you know what you are doing, you can ease off the brakes by properly knowing how to down shift and leaving the brakes for when you really need to slow to a stop and f) finally, when staggering in traffic that is becoming a parking lot, by staying in 2nd gear, one saves on gas.

There are more reasons; but, these are the practical reasons. And I’m a woman who learned to drive an automatic only because I didn’t have anyone to teach me to drive a stick until after I had my first couple of cars!

Old 09-09-2012, 06:24 PM

556 posts, read 948,764 times
Im 27 and I drive a sports car, an automatic sports car.

People hate. But I have my reasons, I have psoriasis which looks mild from the skin level but the arthritis that comes along with it can flare up and be bad. I can drive a 6 speed but am not enthused to own one. There are times when I have to pull over and have my fiancée drive because my right knee and leg hurt so bad.

I would never have bought my corvette in a 4 speed auto, luckily GM switched to 6 speed paddle shift automatics in 2006 so my 2008 coupe is a 6 speed auto and it's an absolute blast. The only time I let it shift it self is when in traffic or just cruising extended highway distances.

Old 09-09-2012, 07:49 PM

11,269 posts, read 12,485,002 times
I dictate what and when it does something.
It gives me feedback thru the shifter.
I'm forced to pay more attention to what lay ahead.
Can't see myself in an auto Jeep, especially one that's 21 years of age, unless I spent alot of time in deep water/mud or rock crawling.

Overall......I just love being part of the machine.

Old 09-09-2012, 08:17 PM

2,528 posts, read 2,039,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryleeII View Post
Just wondering, does anyone even drive a stick shift anymore? why? what are the advantages?

I understand they're better on gas, also, you have better road control if you do a lot of mountain driving, but for the average driver, why even bother with a stick?
In a muscle car or sports car yes. I used to only drive pick up trucks that were. I could never use the 4X4 the way it should be with one. I prefer autos in a 4X4 truck now. You can do so much more with one. As far as my hotrod or fun car goes??? I wouldn't own anything but.....and don't. I have a Toploader close ratio 4 speed.....Hurst Comp Plus 4 shifter equipped with a Centerforce II clutch.

Old 09-09-2012, 08:41 PM

4,009 posts, read 5,175,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryleeII View Post
Just wondering, does anyone even drive a stick shift anymore? why? what are the advantages?

I understand they're better on gas, also, you have better road control if you do a lot of mountain driving, but for the average driver, why even bother with a stick?
One of my husband's cars is a stick shift. It's a lot of fun and is great on gas mileage. Also, you can downshift to turn corners or to slow down so it's a lot easier on your breaks. I drove his car for about 6 months while mine was having problems (prior to getting a new-to-me car) and I got 'used to' driving a stick so much that when I got in an automatic again, I was subconsciously looking for the clutch!

I'll admit though- sticks are annoying in city traffic

Old 09-09-2012, 09:49 PM

15,172 posts, read 15,218,690 times
If you have a small, gutless engine in your car...or you are going to buy the same.....GET A STICK, you will be able to get much better performance out of the vehicle.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive