U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2011, 08:25 AM

20 posts, read 31,675 times

Advertisements

I am planning on moving to SD from Manhattan in September. I have lived in NYC for 12 years so I know nothing about current cars other than taxis. What would be a good kind of car for me to lease? (I'd rather not buy right now.) I will be working from home, so I won't have to commute daily, but will be driving for pretty much everything else, as one does in CA. The last time I drove with any regularity, gas prices were around 1.00 per gallon so I know I'm in for a shock there. What gets good gas mileage? I hear people give you attitude about what you drive in LA, is it the same in SD? What does it generally cost to lease a (non luxury) car per month? Any advice? Google assumes I know what make and model I want, and I have no clue!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2011, 08:35 AM

1,843 posts, read 2,643,632 times
Hmmm.. Ford Fusion, Hyundai Sonata hybrid comes to mind or a Toyota Camry hybrid. If you want a smaller car without hybrid (for better mpg) check out the new Ford Focus, Chevy Cruze, Hyundai Elantra, Civic, Mazda 3, Toyota Corolla and etc. I don't think you'll have to worry about car attitudes in SD although I haven't stepped foot in SD, I would think it as much much more mellow than LA. My dad and step mother both own vehicles in NYC and they rarely use public transportation but higher gas prices, car notes, garage fees they are really starting to consider it.

Old 04-05-2011, 01:20 PM

928 posts, read 1,207,897 times
South Dakota?

Something like a Ford Escape Limited

they are small, you do not need to do anything with the 4x4 - it works as needed.

Bought mine brand new 5 years ago and was TOTALLY DISAPPOINTED when I went to Buffalo in the winter

Could NOT get the darn thing to do donuts in the snow - no way to shut off the 4x4 feature.

... and I can get 16 to 17 mpg in the city ... and I am an aggressive driver

my wife even likes it ... the new ones look better!

Old 04-05-2011, 02:04 PM

5,229 posts, read 11,544,785 times
Wow, this is like telling you what you should like.

What can you afford?

Car Reviews

Go there and read reviews of cars you can afford. We can help with information about specific models you are looking at, but I can't tell you what to like any more than I can tell you how you should wear your hair or what kind of architecture you should live in.

Old 04-05-2011, 03:05 PM

42,666 posts, read 71,883,334 times
You'll drive a lot less on open rural roads in NY than you did in South Dakota, and the winters won't be as severe.

Old 04-05-2011, 03:28 PM

6,872 posts, read 14,674,757 times
Since the OP mentions California in the post, I'm assuming "SD" is San Diego not South Dakota.

What kind of car do you want? Just standard transportation? I lean toward hatchbacks for city use, myself, like say the Mazda 3 series.

http://www.mazdausa.com/MusaWeb/disp...=M3H#/exterior

Old 04-05-2011, 03:40 PM

1,617 posts, read 4,549,728 times
Hondas and Toyotas lease very well due to their high predicted resale value. In a lease, you pay for every penny of depreciation, plus the "rental" charge that gives the leasing company its profit. So the less depreciation, the better, all else being equal. Base models depreciate less than fully-loaded models, BTW.

I'd suggest looking at a Honda Civic or 4-cylinder Accord, or a Toyota Corolla or 4-cylinder Camry, depending on what you like. Hondas--my preference--tend to handle better, give the driver a better "feel" for what the machine is doing, and can be more fun on a twisty road, while Toyotas tend to ride better and may be quieter overall. Both make relatively reliable cars with reasonable maintenance costs. Styling is subjective, of course.

Old 04-05-2011, 10:56 PM

6,662 posts, read 25,453,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ms_smartypants View Post
,,What would be a good kind of car for me to lease? (I'd rather not buy right now.) ,,,
Check with your insurance man. Anyone I know with leases pay much more for automobile insurance - twice as much. The savings you may see on leasing can be eaten up on ins.

Old 04-06-2011, 06:58 AM

928 posts, read 1,207,897 times
Ever thought about going to Carmax? I saw a sweet Black on black on black Mercedes convertible that was cheaper than my Ford Escape and only had 30 some odd thousand miles on it and only 2 years older that the SUV

my next auto will be from there

Old 04-06-2011, 07:35 AM

20 posts, read 31,675 times
Great, I'll check those out! (And yes, I did mean San Diego, not South Dakota, but that is totally my mistake in not spelling it out...) I know insurance is high in CA. Do you know what it would be (approximately) for something like a civic or corrola for someone with no points on their license?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive