U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2011, 07:16 AM

4,486 posts, read 14,920,188 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffdano View Post
Yes some older folks still like the land barges. My FIL used to talk about Buick Roadmasters.

But many I know prefer smaller vehicles. My dad (79) has been driving small cars most of his life and just recently replaced his Fit with a Tacoma truck. My FIL now drives a Cadillac CTS and is perfectly happy with it. As he has slowed down, he appreciates a vehicle that is easier to park.

The wealthy senior crowd seems to really like the Lexus LS.
How does he like his CTS? I'm itching to get a V, I can literally feel the money burning a hole in my pocket!

The wealthy seniors in the Phoenix area seem to be big on Lexus vehicles as well as Cadillacs and Mercedes. You won't see too many wealthy, older folks driving Audi's or BMW's. I feel this class of people really prefer vehicles that aren't so overly complicated, that's probably the biggest complaint most of the older folks that I know have of new vehicles.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2011, 07:28 AM

3,129 posts, read 5,141,528 times
This is a huge market that many are missing b/c they feel everyone wants sporty. They are buying everything from the Lacrosse to G37 to CTS to ES etc and downsizing it seems. On the other hand the Lincoln MKS seems to do well with them as the LS/7/S for those with money.

The days of the DTS, Town Car are ending The Caddy XTS will fill that gap when it debuts.

Old 04-06-2011, 07:38 AM

7,215 posts, read 7,563,902 times
Most of the older "well to do" guys around here I see driving Cadillacs (CTS, etc). Otherwise Buick has some options yet.

Old 04-06-2011, 11:03 AM

13,720 posts, read 24,608,598 times
I think the wealthy senior crowd abandoned Lincoln a long time ago. The Town Car is a boat (I know some like that part of it) but it's overall quality is mediocre. The interior in particular looks barely better than a Crown Vic. Same plastic, fake wood, metallized plastic, etc. The fit and finish of an Avalon is vastly better.

Old 04-06-2011, 12:58 PM

48,519 posts, read 81,013,914 times
They didn't aboandon the Lincoln really. the Lincoln and americans car abondonerd the owner really. If the lincoln and all the large car would have stay at the level they once were they would have more slow sawe the effect of CAFe standards effect them. But has you see they had their effect on the top sleers which is why people are always asking why they don't make dynamic changes in style. Because the style doesn't reflect what those that buy highend car really want.If you look the lower end cars are the ones geared for the entry level younger buyer. The car companies know what they are doing.Also the reson they trying to talk luxury about cars that really are not by past standards of comfort of enterior space.

Old 04-06-2011, 01:25 PM

568 posts, read 1,826,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedyAZ View Post
How does he like his CTS? I'm itching to get a V, I can literally feel the money burning a hole in my pocket!
I have a CTS that I bought used 3 years ago. In that time, I've put over 60,000 miles on the car. It has 111,000 on it now. Besides normal fluid changes and whatnot, I've replaced the battery and just put a set of tires on it. The car has been absolutely perfect. Mine has the FE3 sport suspension. I prefer the sporty ride. The car definitely doesn't ride like the proverbial Cadillac. The ride is nice and firm, yet very comfortable and it love to go through corners. The only cars I would consider trading mine on would be a comparably equipped current generation CTS or any CTS-V. A local dealership has a 1st generation CTS-V on their used lot. What I wouldn't give to be able to afford to add that one to the collection.

Old 04-06-2011, 02:34 PM

22,151 posts, read 26,611,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffdano View Post
I think the wealthy senior crowd abandoned Lincoln a long time ago. The Town Car is a boat (I know some like that part of it) but it's overall quality is mediocre. The interior in particular looks barely better than a Crown Vic. Same plastic, fake wood, metallized plastic, etc. The fit and finish of an Avalon is vastly better.
The interior of the Town Car has genuine wood.

I was inspecting a Town Car a friend rented about 4 years ago and I was looking at one in a showroom last year. The fit & finish seem fine. They are underrated compared to the "superior" Toyota "quality." Even the fit and finish of my 16-year-old Town Car is doing very well. All-original, no tears in the seats, no cracks on the dash, everything (door panels, dash, etc) still tightly fit.

Old 04-06-2011, 05:22 PM

14,095 posts, read 22,963,452 times
Have you seen the new Ford Taurus and Lincoln MKS? They're pretty big. My mom is 65 and drives a 2007 Saturn Aura. Her sister drives a Dodge Avenger. Chrysler has the 300. The Hyundai Azera would be a good buy for a retiree due to what you get for the price. Another benefit is you'll stop driving about the time it's warranty expires.

Old 04-20-2014, 05:57 PM

959 posts, read 1,327,884 times
It's been years since we visited FL to visit the in-laws. What still sticks in my mind is driving past a woman, well into her golden years, clinging to the steering wheel and just able to look over it. The car? Looked like a brand new Corvette, going all of 55mph.
I'm sure there's a story there.

Old 04-20-2014, 06:05 PM

13,437 posts, read 15,036,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedyAZ View Post
I know we have some enthusiasts of full-sized American automobiles on this forum and was curious what you thought all the older folks who enjoy full-sized automobiles are going to drive with the discontinuation of the Lincoln Town Car, Cadillac DTS, and Buick Lucerne after this year. I know quite a few older folks down here who love these big American automobiles and after this year, they won't be able to buy them new.

What vehicles are going to cater to this (ever growing) segment of American society? I'd say these three vehicles, as a whole, are the vehicles which the older generation seems to drive the most.
Ford Taurus, 300/Charger, Impala, STS. Or they'll keep driving non-American full-sized automobiles like Avalons. I don't care. There's no shortage of full-sized cars, American or otherwise.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or