Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2014, 08:43 PM

16,563 posts, read 15,105,033 times

Advertisements

The market for Crown Vics and Grand Marquis did not disappear. They were selling well to the very end. They were cheap to produce, cheap to buy and still got 25mpg on the highway. They could move 6 people in comfort and speed all day long. I thought the Marauder could have been a great hit but Ford botched it. All the space and comfort plus understated performance. If you travel abroad you'll realize that when people speak of "American" cars they are not thinking Darts or Focus. Everybody makes them. They think Suburban, big Caddy, Ford and Chevy. There is no question in my mind that Detroit dropped them under PC pressure. There is just something "wrong" with driving big cars. Hummer met the same fate even though the H3 was no worse than any truck on the road today.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2014, 09:34 PM

1,996 posts, read 4,741,684 times
The real problem with the demise of the Town Cars and even the Cad DTS was the lack of effort from Ford and GM to really make those cars stand out in style, and be truly luxurious inside like how an S-Class and 7 Series are.

Lincoln just didn't do a damn thing to update and make the Town Car more luxurious, they figured "well they're mostly selling to livery business, so who cares". This was the biggest problem they had, so nobody bought em as time went on. They got ugly after 97.

It's not true that Americans don't like big cars, just look at the Chrysler 300. I see so many on the road everyday driven mostly by young and middle age drivers, not the elderly. One important factor that makes the 300's so desirable among all age groups, is it's styling is cool and unique, it's V8 powered, and it has a long wheelbase for a smooth soft comfortable ride.

Believe me, if there were more full size cars that had similar looks as the 300 if not better, you would still have droves of people buying large sedans.

It really comes down to styling from what I can tell. The current Avalon, Town Car, and DTS even Buicks, are all boring bland looking cars which in a sense can be attributed to conservative minds, and a majority of old people are conservative..

Old 04-20-2014, 10:32 PM

6,864 posts, read 11,999,380 times
No full size car? Are you discounting the size of an SUV? Seniors might not have a Crown Vic but every middle age woman in my area drives a SUV.

Old 04-20-2014, 11:58 PM

24,451 posts, read 33,116,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malloric View Post
Ford Taurus, 300/Charger, Impala, STS. Or they'll keep driving non-American full-sized automobiles like Avalons. I don't care. There's no shortage of full-sized cars, American or otherwise.
Avalons are far from being "full-sized." They are about the same size as a 1966 Dodge Dart, which was a compact. Yes, I know they go by EPA interior dimensions, but that doesn't tell the whole story.

There is a shortage of full-sized American cars because they are no longer being built. Probably the closest would be the Chrysler 300 at about 202"... the original 300 was about 220" long.

Old 04-21-2014, 01:07 AM

21,599 posts, read 24,739,140 times
Charger, 300C, Ford Taurus, Lincoln MKS, Cadillac XTS, upcoming SS. American full-sized sedans are still being made. There's no more full-sized Buicks, but like the Lincoln Town Car, not enough people cared for those to matter. By the time Ford announced they weren't going to continue bother to make it since no one was buying them, Lincoln Town Car sales were already down to less than 10% of what they were in the late '90s. Most of that probably fleet sales which aren't real profitable. Same with the DTS. Prior to running the company into bankruptcy, they planned on redesigning. But the DTS never would have gotten DOE loans, so it didn't fit in their business model of holding out their hat to the taxpayer.

Old 04-21-2014, 01:21 AM

431 posts, read 472,347 times
never owed or driven a full size american made car never will I STICK WITH INFINITY the american car industry went broke the govt should have left it so

Old 04-21-2014, 01:40 AM

33,387 posts, read 34,617,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedyAZ View Post
I know we have some enthusiasts of full-sized American automobiles on this forum and was curious what you thought all the older folks who enjoy full-sized automobiles are going to drive with the discontinuation of the Lincoln Town Car, Cadillac DTS, and Buick Lucerne after this year. I know quite a few older folks down here who love these big American automobiles and after this year, they won't be able to buy them new.

What vehicles are going to cater to this (ever growing) segment of American society? I'd say these three vehicles, as a whole, are the vehicles which the older generation seems to drive the most.
i drive a fairmont, is that big enough for you?

Old 04-21-2014, 02:16 AM

41,695 posts, read 74,634,436 times
My 95-year-old aunt drives a Toyota Corolla.

Those of us in our 50s and 60s, who have been driving compact cars all our lives, would see no reason to change that.

Old 04-21-2014, 04:33 AM

558 posts, read 1,113,620 times
Toyota Camry. I have been seeing a surge in the senior/Camry sector over the last 5 years or so. My grandmas 96 Grand Marquis is a beast! Such a soft comfortable ride, and fast!!!

Old 04-21-2014, 05:36 AM

18,923 posts, read 43,211,623 times
Cars are going to have to average 37.8mpg by 2016, that's why you won't see any more big cars.

How Automakers Will Meet 2016 CAFE Standards - Feature - Car and Driver
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive