U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 04-06-2011, 06:13 PM
 
Location: Back in COLORADO!!!
840 posts, read 2,032,832 times
Reputation: 1377

Advertisements

I've always been the kind of guy who doesn't believe in paying someone else to do something I can do for myself. However, as I've gotten older, I've come to realize some things just aren't worth the aggravation.

For example, I have completely rebuilt and installed engines and transmissions in many vehicles, but when the trans axle in the mini van crapped out, I had a local transmission shop install a rebuilt one...

Why? Because just looking at it and determining what is involved to pull it demonstrated to me it sucks too much to contemplate any further....

I suppose it's the same reason people hire me, a plumber, to come and perform simple repairs on their plumbing. Even though they may be very capable of doing it themselves, changing out a sewage ejector pump is just no fun at all......
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 04-06-2011, 06:49 PM
 
Location: Victoria TX
42,668 posts, read 71,523,609 times
Reputation: 35864
Down here, mechanics don't even charge for things like that.

I had a headlight out in Weslaco TX, so I bought a bulb in an auto parts store, but first I had tried to get the old one out, and couldn't. I asked the desk man where I could have it installed, and he recommended a garage next door. The garage owner went out himself and tried to change it, but couldn't, so he got one of his mechanics with smaller hands to reach in there and turn it loose, and put in the new one. No charge.

Here in town, I took my car to an inspection station for the sticker, and I liked the way they handled it, so I went back a couple weeks later when I had a few more things I wanted checked out. They guy spent maybe a half hour, checking the codes, looking at a few other things, and he actually adjusted a couple of things, I can't remember what. When I said "How much", he said "I didn't do anything". No charge. Needless to say, I went back there when I had some work I needed to pay for. He charges $12 to change my oil, and I buy the oil and filter myself at whatever auto parts store has a good special that week.

It's a similar philosophy to a boss I used to work for, who said "The best way to make money is to give it away, It'll come back, and then some."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-06-2011, 09:27 PM
 
2,721 posts, read 3,637,071 times
Reputation: 1290
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Down here, mechanics don't even charge for things like that.

I had a headlight out in Weslaco TX, so I bought a bulb in an auto parts store, but first I had tried to get the old one out, and couldn't. I asked the desk man where I could have it installed, and he recommended a garage next door. The garage owner went out himself and tried to change it, but couldn't, so he got one of his mechanics with smaller hands to reach in there and turn it loose, and put in the new one. No charge.

Here in town, I took my car to an inspection station for the sticker, and I liked the way they handled it, so I went back a couple weeks later when I had a few more things I wanted checked out. They guy spent maybe a half hour, checking the codes, looking at a few other things, and he actually adjusted a couple of things, I can't remember what. When I said "How much", he said "I didn't do anything". No charge. Needless to say, I went back there when I had some work I needed to pay for. He charges $12 to change my oil, and I buy the oil and filter myself at whatever auto parts store has a good special that week.

It's a similar philosophy to a boss I used to work for, who said "The best way to make money is to give it away, It'll come back, and then some."
I live in Fort Worth... where can I find these mechanics that don't charge me $40+ for an oil change?

The cheapest I've ever found around here was $30... should I go to smaller shops?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-06-2011, 09:38 PM
 
Location: Columbia, California
6,662 posts, read 25,334,551 times
Reputation: 5067
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyclone8570 View Post
I don't know much about cars.

However, I do know some things are easy to replace-- and I can easily do them myself by visiting an O'Reilly Autoparts or similar store.
But, did O'Reilly tell you why they failed prematurely?? Why are you replacing them each week?

Cherrios, please do not let me buy your used piece of crap.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-06-2011, 09:42 PM
 
Location: Victoria TX
42,668 posts, read 71,523,609 times
Reputation: 35864
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyclone8570 View Post
I live in Fort Worth... where can I find these mechanics that don't charge me $40+ for an oil change?

The cheapest I've ever found around here was $30... should I go to smaller shops?
You missed the point that he charges me $12 to change the oil, but I bring my own oil and filter. I bought 5 quarts of Castrol synthetic and a high-grade filter on sale at an auto parts store for $17, so that's $29 for a synthetic change. Would have been about $22 for dino oil and a Fram.

Go across the tracks and find a shop with a hand-painted sign that says "Taller Mecanico". They'll do it cheap.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-06-2011, 09:43 PM
 
3,071 posts, read 7,441,689 times
Reputation: 1619
When people like doctors and lawyers and high buck bankers get their cars worked on they should get done like they do everyone else. Let every little item be very very expensive............some people dont deserve a break on prices.never
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-07-2011, 07:05 AM
 
2,721 posts, read 3,637,071 times
Reputation: 1290
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
You missed the point that he charges me $12 to change the oil, but I bring my own oil and filter. I bought 5 quarts of Castrol synthetic and a high-grade filter on sale at an auto parts store for $17, so that's $29 for a synthetic change. Would have been about $22 for dino oil and a Fram.

Go across the tracks and find a shop with a hand-painted sign that says "Taller Mecanico". They'll do it cheap.
I might just start changing my own oil. Where do you go to dispose of oil though?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-07-2011, 07:06 AM
 
2,721 posts, read 3,637,071 times
Reputation: 1290
Quote:
Originally Posted by ferretkona View Post
But, did O'Reilly tell you why they failed prematurely?? Why are you replacing them each week?

Cherrios, please do not let me buy your used piece of crap.
Replacing what each week?

I'm replacing the air filter ever 15,000 miles
Changing the oil every 3,000 miles-- although sometimes 4 - 5,000 miles.

And no, I don't plan on selling my "used piece of crap"-- what do you mean by that anyway? Are you implying that people who replace their own brake lights and air filters can't do it correctly?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-07-2011, 07:08 AM
 
10,683 posts, read 17,021,490 times
Reputation: 10116
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyclone8570 View Post
I might just start changing my own oil. Where do you go to dispose of oil though?
At your local community recycling center if you have one, some shops will take it for a fee.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-07-2011, 07:09 AM
 
2,721 posts, read 3,637,071 times
Reputation: 1290
Also, the amount of rudeness on this forum is unbelievable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top