Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2011, 03:28 PM

10,135 posts, read 27,343,947 times

Advertisements

90% of all car fires where there was not an accident are arson. Most of those are to collect the insurance.

I wouldn't let anyone park on my property without a written agreement, proof of comprehensive coverage, and a waiver of subrogation signed by her insurance company.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2011, 12:00 AM

2 posts, read 39,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by garbagebagger View Post
husband died in fire while checking horn going off ,car on trickle charge witness says car lurched forward pinning him between other car,there was fire under hood of car being charged.any thoughts how this could happen?contact us please as soon as possible as there is a law suit pending. Thanks

Old 06-01-2011, 05:32 AM

7,780 posts, read 21,776,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by garbagebagger View Post

How can anyone here even comment on such a situation??

Old 06-01-2011, 06:14 AM

1,617 posts, read 5,644,635 times
Almost anything is possible. I might win the lottery, despite going years between buying tickets. I also might get struck by lightning on a driving range in my lifetime, even though I rarely (attempt to) play golf.

But a car spontaneously combusting is so unlikely I'd say it's an unfounded concern.

Just say you need your carport back, and give reasonable notice (like 2 months, if there's money involved, at least a couple-few weeks if not) so she can make other arrangements.

Also maybe note that your homeowners agent said her property would not be covered under your policy if it was damaged on your property for any reason, so she should consider having comprehensive or full coverage applied to her auto policy if she wants it covered.

I'd think your property would (absolutely should!) be covered if her car caused damage, but then again, if it was a rented spot, rather than a guest car at your home, it might be different under the contract or the law. I don't know though; it probably depends where you are. If I was in your situation, I'd try to ask a lawyer in my area.

Old 06-01-2011, 06:37 AM

10,135 posts, read 27,343,947 times
Let me explain waiver of subrogation; it comes up so often and is so misunderstood.

If her car burns on your property, you have insurance on the car port and the house,she has insurance on the car, but you don't have insurance on her car. So after her insurance company pays her for the car, they come to see you because the fire occurred on your property and may have been your fault. You have no insurance on her car because cars are excluded from your homeowners policy. So, unless it is your fault and it is a liability claim under your homeowners police you won't have anyone to defend you or pay the claim. Hence, before you store her car, she waives subrogation on behalf of her insurers (I always ask for her carrier to sign). Simple?

Old 06-01-2011, 10:16 AM

19,023 posts, read 25,861,818 times
The car port is more likey to get hit by Lightning.... These sorts of things are what's wrong with INS and America. That type of car has no history of burning up. There are others that do like the ford type mentioned and 3/4 sized Blazers some years back.

Hell I had written permission to shoot guns in a field in the woods. The cops showed up and left the crusier running on dry pine needles to bother me. As they faced me I saw the fire start, but didn't think it was any of my bee's wax to inform the tresspassing officers, and besides they just wanted their AC running. LOL that ended in a chinese fire drill.

People do stupid stuff all the time. Sometimes the stupid stuff people do kills them. It's just that simple. A lot of it comes from people don't have a clue of how stuff really works.

Old 06-26-2014, 12:28 PM

1 posts, read 1,857 times
my 2002 dodge 1500 just burned up the other day, was not driven for a week. It was parked on the street

Last edited by stever11111; 06-26-2014 at 12:31 PM.. Reason: left out one thing

Old 06-26-2014, 12:39 PM

734 posts, read 1,074,585 times
It happened to me. I had this crummy Ford I had bought from some guy for $500. LOL. I was on my way to the mall when I noticed smoke coming out of the vents, so I turned around and went back home. About five minutes later, some kids knocked on the door and told me the car was on fire. It was engulfed in flames. I don't know if this counts though, since I had just finished driving it right before it caught on fire.

Old 06-27-2014, 09:43 AM

4,761 posts, read 14,209,139 times
I regularly go to wrecking yards for car parts. Out of the thousands of cars I've seen at wrecking yards, I rarely ever see one which has burned.

I wouldn't worry about it. (If the car is old, has a filthy dirty engine compartment with oil sludge all over, has a fuel leak, and overheats, THEN worry!)

Old 06-27-2014, 10:12 AM

35,309 posts, read 51,976,495 times
I'd have a talk with her explaining your concerns then if she wouldn't mind have her sign an informal note saying she will be responsible for any damages her car causes to your property.
Personally if her car spontaneously catching fire is your only concern its a scenario so unlikely to happen i wouldn't even mention it..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive