U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2011, 10:59 AM

114 posts, read 228,758 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lincolnian View Post
Well I bought a Hyundai Elantra today. They gave me a fair trade for my minivan. I was very impressed with the ride and performance of the Elantra over it's competitors. The 40 mpg highway should help reduce my gas consumption over my van's 21 mpg avg.

I'm keeping the pickup for my towing, hauling, and winter weather needs.
Found this after posting. Someone else suggested not trying to do everything with one vehicle, and this solution makes a lot of sense.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2011, 05:21 PM

3,256 posts, read 4,910,950 times
I've had my Elantra for 5 months and have driven it over 7000 miles. I just averaged 38.1 mpg on a mostly highway with some secondary road trip.

On my daily commute which is all secondary routes with posted limits of 35 to 40 mph I am averaging 32 to 33 mpg.

I am very happy with the ride, quality, comfort, and design of this car. My only complaint is the absence of a spare tire.

A great car!

Old 09-30-2011, 10:11 AM

24,720 posts, read 59,631,443 times
Get something comfortable and supportive. What you pay due to a small difference in gas mileage is nothing to what you will pay for medical bills and down time due to a bad back. If you spend that much time behind the wheel, your focus should be comfort/support, not economy. You also need a vehicle designed for towing heavy loads or you will wear out your car in no time and lose and gas mileage savings. Personally I would use a full sized conversion van, or possibly an Astro. You do nto get any more comfrotable than a conversion van.

Old 10-01-2011, 05:21 AM

3,256 posts, read 4,910,950 times
I am very happy with the comfort of the Elantra. I bought the Limited model and the leather seats are very comfortable and supportive. They are heated with two different temperature settings. I never would have thought about the heated seat option if it wasn't part of the package but I'm enjoying it quite a bit.

Another great feature of the Hyundai is the sync/Bluetooth hands-free phone system.

The 6 speed transmission is very smooth and the brakes are excellent.

I would highly recommend this vehicle to anyone looking for a solid and comfortable care that gets excellent gas mileage. You get a lot more for your money than competitive offerings from Honda and Toyota in my opinion.

Old 06-17-2013, 10:58 PM

11,543 posts, read 17,897,134 times
I recently learned that the VW TDI 6 speed manuals are rated for towing while the auto-trans are not.

Old 06-18-2013, 07:06 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
20,802 posts, read 37,487,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rnc2mbfl View Post
I recently learned that the VW TDI 6 speed manuals are rated for towing while the auto-trans are not.
You don't want to be towing with ANY VW Automatic (no / POOR cooling and sump capacity). Tho I know of a person from Dallas who has done many cross country trips with popup camping trailer (not 3,000#) behind Passat TDI Automatic. His economy suffers.

I usually limit my TDI towing to 2,000#. Even at a more moderate 1000# my economy takes a serious hit.

52 mpg down to 38mpg if in the mtns or with higher profile cargo. Usually I can keep it above 40mpg with a reasonable load. I'm expecting my 'Teardrop-RV' to deliver average of 43 mpg on road trips.

For OP, I too have enjoyed the economy and driving stability of Elantra. 38 mpg @ 80mph w/ AC last week.

For hauling / utility in WET weather... a minivan is tough to beat. I will ONLY buy 'Sport' models with better suspension, brakes, cooling, larger tires. Works great in my steep mtn area. I think an X3 BMW with diesel would be nice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or