U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-12-2011, 01:11 AM

1,286 posts, read 2,166,478 times

Advertisements

7.3 was in IH trucks before it became the 7.3......it was called the 6.9 Yep, the 7.3 is the finest diesel ever put in a Ford, though I have no experience with the new 6.7. I know for a fact that the 6.0 and 6.4 were horrible mistakes, with the high pressure oil pump being gear driven off the back of the crankshaft??????????? That, and weak head bolts are why it is 'recommended' that the cab be removed for service.
Now, back to the original questions. An '01 7.3, you'll be fine as long as you don't overload it, the stock automatic can't hold up long if you continually drive it fully loaded. Keep the filters changed, this includes fuel and air filters. You may run into issues with the glow plug system. The wiring harness for the glow plugs runs THROUGH the valve cover gaskets. The connections get oil soaked and brittle, and will eventually wear out. Other than that, drive it.
Now, since everyone else threw their 2 cents worth of opinion in, here comes mine. Find me a 5.9 Cummins hooked to that Allison, put a Ford crew cab around it on a GM suspension and brake setup, and that would be my all time favorite, until of course AMC makes it's comeback with full sized Jeeps
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2011, 03:17 PM

30,881 posts, read 24,210,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jon1987 View Post
7.3's own all other PSD engines reliability wise, but the other trump it power wise big time.
what good is huge power potential when the reliability isnt there? the 6.0 and 6.4s may walk all over the 7.3 when it comes to ultimate power output, but if you are constantly fixing the engine for one reason or another, then all that power in useless.

Old 04-15-2011, 03:14 PM

3,398 posts, read 5,461,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilson513 View Post
I call BS. Post authority for this.
I've only heard this recommended for the F150 gasser Tritons of the "Heritage" era. Maybe the later models called for this, but it's never crossed my mind to buy one. Cam phasers, yo.

Old 04-15-2011, 03:21 PM

3,398 posts, read 5,461,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post

Does anyone know these vehicles well?

Is it hard to find someone to service them?

Do they have good (tough) transmissions?

Is there anything that they are known for having fail?

Is it a PIA to find diesel fuel? There are several places around us that carry it, but what about elsewhere? Is it hard to find in rural areas?

Intrenet sources indicated that mileage is about 17-18 MPG without a load. Some people claim that they get 19 and even 22 MPG. Anyone have any experience with mileage in one of these?
You weren't looking hard enough, because most any Ford truck forum will make you a comfy home for your truck advice.

Quite easy to find service for, the trans are rather solid, and I do know that the camshaft position sensors and the harness are known trouble spots.

I won't completely call BS on the MPG claims of those sources, but my friend had a 7.3L 2000 CC and a 2001 CC dually and both got 10-12 MPGs, no matter what. But, he ran them on used trans fluid and whatever other burnable stuff he drained from his salvage cars he pulled from auctions and I couldn't massage anything more than that from them when I drove them, either.

Ultra-Low Sulfur Diesel will not be friendly to diesel MPGs now.

As for modding, well, you'll severely limit reliability unless you upgrade the drivetrain behind the engine. That includes chips because you won't stop there.

Old 04-16-2011, 02:52 PM

24,718 posts, read 59,579,994 times
I did not buy it. It sold for about $6500. I may have missed a good deal. However it was apparently used by a company for plowing. The assets of the company were being auctioned off and they had four trucks: all ford, all red, all with snow plows (the one I wanted was the only one with a back seat). That puts a lot of strain on a truck. It had 125,000 miles. That is a lot of miles for a truck being used by a company for plowing. Probably not many freeway miles. Finally the interior was pretty beat up. It was a lariat, so it was fancy, but really worn. I will keep looking, but I will keep my eyes open for a 7.3 diesel. Lots of company auctions include F-250s. Lots of companies are going out of business so these acutions happen almost every week. 5-6 of them each eyar have trucks.

Thank you for your input.

Old 04-17-2011, 12:41 AM

4,711 posts, read 10,520,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Electron View Post
7.3 was in IH trucks before it became the 7.3......it was called the 6.9 Yep, the 7.3 is the finest diesel ever put in a Ford, though I have no experience with the new 6.7. I know for a fact that the 6.0 and 6.4 were horrible mistakes...

In IH vehicles, the 7.3 is called the T444E. The POS 6.0 is called the VT-365.

We have about 800 7.3s in our rear-engine International school bus fleet and they've been great. We have about 100 VT-365s that are total junk. They're so bad, that we've bought the DT466 and it's successor, the MaxxforceDT in all new buses since. Even at 8 grand extra per bus, it's been worth it...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive