Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2011, 08:10 AM

10,135 posts, read 27,470,411 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by missed View Post
Until you have to take the cab off to work on the engine.

I call BS. Post authority for this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2011, 08:50 AM

839 posts, read 2,416,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDD View Post
I think that is the excuse the Dodge owners use when they buy a Dodge diesel. They know they have the best engine but they also know thy have the worst truck so they slam the Ford.
You might call it superiority insecurity.
That's what my old boss thought too. He'd say, "That Cummins is the best diesel engine out there. Too bad a Dodge comes wrapped around it!"

Old 04-11-2011, 09:04 AM

14,780 posts, read 43,682,136 times
Quote:
The engineer who made that decision should be shot. There's absolutely no reason that you should have to pull the cab on Fords to do things which should be minor maintenance

My point is that they shouldn't be forced to take it into the stealership to have the cab removed for the simple jobs like changing out lift pumps, turbos, injectors, or in the case of gas engines, the rear spark plugs and coils. Its just bad engineering.
There are NO repairs that REQUIRE the cab to be removed in order to service the engine. Some repair procedures RECOMMEND removing the cab so the tech can gain better access to the area. Overall removing the cab is an incredibly simple operation in a real shop environment (as long as upfit equipment like an ambulance body doesn't make it impossible) and consitutes removing a handful of bolts and disconnecting a few harnesses. It is an option that allows the tech to conduct an easier repair without risking damage to the body.

This generally only applies to the 6.0 and 6.4 engines as Ford used an International sourced motor with mimimum modifications to mount if the F-series chassis. The 7.3, new 6.7 and the various gas engines were designed for the F-series chassis and while still an option is not nearly as often recommended do to the ease of working on those motors. If a shop or the repair recommends removing the cab, it is so they have a much easier time working on the engine.

Old 04-11-2011, 09:23 AM

14,780 posts, read 43,682,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
Does anyone know these vehicles well?

Is it hard to find someone to service them?

Do they have good (tough) transmissions?

Is there anything that they are known for having fail?

Is it a PIA to find diesel fuel? There are several places around us that carry it, but what about elsewhere? Is it hard to find in rural areas?

Intrenet sources indicated that mileage is about 17-18 MPG without a load. Some people claim that they get 19 and even 22 MPG. Anyone have any experience with mileage in one of these?

Some internet sources claim to improve mileage by adding a filter of some kind, some sort of chip, fuel additives (including transmission fluid), or special tuning. It this for real, or is it another gimmick. Some people claim to have increased mileage by 5 mpg by putting in a K & N air filter, I know that is hooey. Are there things that actually increase diesel mileage?

This is a supercab (with 2 little suicide doors) instead of a supercrew (4 regualr doors). It looks reasonably comfortable in the back seat, not bad, but not great. (it appears about the same as my 1998 F-150 which our kids had no problem riding in, but they were smaller when I had that truck). Anyone use a supercab with teens or adults on a long trip? How uncomfrotable was it?

anythign else that I should know/consider?

Thanks.
I know them really well and the 7.3 Ford's are considered to be among the best and most reliable diesel trucks.

Servicing them is a simple job for any diesel mechanic and most will universally prefer working on a 7.3 versus one of the newer emissions equipped models.

The transmissions are good, but not the best.

There are no major issues with them other than regular maintenance. Injectors are a common fail/replacement piece, but they are relatively cheap for that model. Outside of that, any issues are more related to the F-series chassis and those years are prone to front end problems, notably ball joints.

Diesel fuel is relatively common in my area and actually seems to be easier to find in rural locations since so many farmers use diesel powered trucks.

I wouldn't bank on much better mileage than high teens with low 20's possible at constant freeway speeds.

Tuning/modifying a diesel engine is easy and gives good results. In general you can either tune for power, better economy or a combo of both. Generally an air filter, upgraded exhaust and tune can net you large power increases and increases in MPG. You just need to pick which you want.

Old 04-11-2011, 09:26 AM

11,555 posts, read 53,171,880 times
I've had several 6.9 NA's and still have a 7.3 powerstroke with manual transmissions, as well as a 1996 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins turbo. All ran into the mid 200,000 mile range without serious issues (except for the Dodge requiring three trans overhauls to make this distance -- a very poor auto trans), and all delivered high teens to low 20's mpg. All start into the freezing temp ranges without difficulty, and the 1995 7.3 I have now with 250,000 miles on it hasn't needed a set of replacement glow plugs yet. For engine longevity, I do plug in the block heaters in sub-freezing temps when I anticipate using one of the trucks. Sometimes I don't get that opportunity, and the trucks still start in close to zero temps ... but not as happily as when they are pre-heated. I live in SE Wyoming at 6,000' elevation, which makes a big difference in the starting ... less air density means lower effective compression for the motor to start on. At sea level, it's a lot easier to start a diesel.

The key to the fuel economy is to keep the truck running on clean filters ... air and fuel, and to keep the motor at or below 2,000 RPM as much of the time as possible. You'll find typical gearing yields around 60-64 mph for cruise; above that, the fuel economy really drops off.

We have driven the '95 Powerstroke extended cab truck with a camper shell on it to Ohio and back, getting 22-24 mpg at 62 mph. On the way home, with a load of sheep in back, the truck got a mile or so less mpg. We did get a load of bio-diesel which hurt our fuel economy down to 18 mpg, so we avoid using that, and we also got several tanks of poor quality fuel which required a good fuel additive to clean up the running. You can readily hear when a Powerstroke isn't happy ... and needs to have the fuel conditioner added to clean out the injectors.

Last edited by sunsprit; 04-11-2011 at 10:11 AM..

Old 04-11-2011, 05:03 PM

3,306 posts, read 12,220,282 times
I have extensive use with 7.3 autos and my father has a couple that are pulling about 40 feet worth of Excursion each and he has yet to have any major issues. Just not the truck for me, I like to modify, tune and run alternative fuels... the 7.3 is just too plug and play for my liking.

Quote:
I think that is the excuse the Dodge owners use when they buy a Dodge diesel. They know they have the best engine but they also know thy have the worst truck so they slam the Ford.
I spent a long time deciding whether to go with the 7.3 or the 6BT and I eventually chose the Dodge (5spd) and have no regrets at all. All of the weaknesses in the Dodge chassis have been solved by the aftermarket and for about $1.5k in parts you end up with a chassis on par with Ford yet still have the superior drivetrain (if 5spd equipped). That being said... good luck finding a 12valve 5spd! Another thing with the Dodge is that the engine is markedly easier to access as compared to the 7.3's which are HORRIBLY crammed under the hood.

Old 04-11-2011, 07:06 PM

52 posts, read 70,495 times
Quote:

My brother's Dodge was so lousy he tried to return it to the dealer they day after he took delivery." What a POS" were his words.
The irony of your post is amusing.

...but its fitting that a Powerstroke owner would coin the phrase "superiority insecurity".

All of the diesel trucks have their strengths and weaknesses, and which one is best depends on what it will be used for. I've got one of the 'weak' Dodge autos that Ford owners love to criticize, but after a trip to Dave Goerend, its now good for 500hp. My truck does exactly what I need it do do, and does it very well. It may not be as pretty as yours or have as nice of a cup holder, but I didn't buy it for form. I bought it for function.

Old 04-11-2011, 07:08 PM

27,957 posts, read 39,771,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilson513 View Post
I call BS. Post authority for this.
It is Common on the 08-10. It was sometimes easier and to take the cab off. It might even apply to those with the 6.0.

The 7.3s up to 03 the removing of the cab isn't needed, that and the engines were far better.

Old 04-11-2011, 07:42 PM

3,306 posts, read 12,220,282 times
Quote:
The irony of your post is amusing.

...but its fitting that a Powerstroke owner would coin the phrase "superiority insecurity".

All of the diesel trucks have their strengths and weaknesses, and which one is best depends on what it will be used for. I've got one of the 'weak' Dodge autos that Ford owners love to criticize, but after a trip to Dave Goerend, its now good for 500hp. My truck does exactly what I need it do do, and does it very well. It may not be as pretty as yours or have as nice of a cup holder, but I didn't buy it for form. I bought it for function.
Yep tranny's from Goerend and Suncoast are pretty much bullet proof. You didn't mention how easy it was to get to that 500hp mark either. Its easy! With a 12 valve at least.

Old 04-11-2011, 07:44 PM

910 posts, read 1,676,400 times
The 7.3 shouldn't need cab removal for engine service. I know the 6.0 did, though. 7.3's own all other PSD engines reliability wise, but the other trump it power wise big time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive