U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2011, 08:24 PM

25,584 posts, read 31,059,842 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lux Hauler View Post
Umm... just run up to the tractor from BEHIND and scamper up to the cab. The worst that could happen is that you fall on your ass. Oh I almost forgot, most cops are too out of shape to move around like that...
Again you'd have to bust out the back window. The entrances and egress from a cab is usually through the side doors. Not sure on speed but speeds might vary from 10 MPH can you being in good shape run 10 plus MPH?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2011, 11:35 AM

3,306 posts, read 9,222,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SD4020 View Post
Again you'd have to bust out the back window. The entrances and egress from a cab is usually through the side doors. Not sure on speed but speeds might vary from 10 MPH can you being in good shape run 10 plus MPH?
Busting the window would be the easiest part. They were lucky that the tractor maintained a perfect circle, at any moment the steering could have adjusted and sent the tractor in the direction of heavy traffic or something worse. It was pretty clear that it was an unstoppable force.

I leisurely run 4 miles a few times a week at about 6-7 mph. I'm not in the business of chasing bad guys or tractors for that matter so If a cop can't run 10mph for 10 seconds then thats a worthless cop.

Old 04-16-2011, 03:39 PM

11,790 posts, read 12,948,424 times
I guess the thought of personal injury outweighed the risk of letting it run in circles until it ran out of gas or got hung up on something, which it did.

Running up and grabbing on to the back of a tractor, even if I was confident I could do it, wouldn't be something I would try when no one is at risk but me.

Old 04-16-2011, 08:25 PM

25,584 posts, read 31,059,842 times
Quote:
Busting the window would be the easiest part. They were lucky that the tractor maintained a perfect circle, at any moment the steering could have adjusted and sent the tractor in the direction of heavy traffic or something worse. It was pretty clear that it was an unstoppable force.

I leisurely run 4 miles a few times a week at about 6-7 mph. I'm not in the business of chasing bad guys or tractors for that matter so If a cop can't run 10mph for 10 seconds then thats a worthless cop.
Maybe. But it is easier to use a tazer or a .40. It is hard to outrun 1100 feet per second or a motorola.

Old 04-18-2011, 05:31 AM

7,780 posts, read 18,062,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SD4020 View Post

yea these guys are full of it.. 10 mph to run and climb up and over the back where while the tractor bounces over the curb, off the building and the cars... lol yea right. And why would you risk your life again??

Old 04-18-2011, 05:27 PM

3,306 posts, read 9,222,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frankgn87 View Post
yea these guys are full of it.. 10 mph to run and climb up and over the back where while the tractor bounces over the curb, off the building and the cars... lol yea right. And why would you risk your life again??
How are you risking your life by approaching a moving vehicle from the back? I think some of you (and the cops) need to hit the gym...

Old 04-18-2011, 07:39 PM

7,780 posts, read 18,062,278 times
Quote:
How are you risking your life by approaching a moving vehicle from the back? I think some of you (and the cops) need to hit the gym...

you are obviously ignorant if you think you can climb on the back(where there are no steps) and climb up over large moving wheels and get into a cab while bouncing over curbs, buildings and cars.. You gotta love internet hereos..

Old 04-18-2011, 07:49 PM

5,996 posts, read 13,530,649 times
There's a huge swath of time where it wasn't bumping into anything. Why would the police risk their lives? Because its what the tax payer pays for.

Old 04-18-2011, 08:08 PM

2,192 posts, read 6,114,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gman6974 View Post
Anyone in good shape could have easily jumped on it to stop it. It wasn't running that fast. I was awed by this as well.

I own a tractor and I guarantee you that if you try and chase down one we will be reading about you in the death notices.

Tractors and heavy equipment or the number one reason for deaths on farms.

busta

Old 04-18-2011, 08:19 PM

2,192 posts, read 6,114,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iTsLiKeAnEgG View Post
There's a huge swath of time where it wasn't bumping into anything. Why would the police risk their lives? Because its what the tax payer pays for.
You're kidding right? Just because the job comes with a high risk of being hurt doesn't mean they should put themselves in harms way. I guarantee you that until you've been on a tractor you have no clue as to how dangerous they are.

busta
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive