Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-13-2011, 07:25 AM

749 posts, read 2,437,882 times

Advertisements

Early 90's EFI 2.3 Ford motor. From what I understand many of the the mini stocks at the local short track are running a naturally aspirated 2.3 Ford motor. Do they have any use for the stock 5 -speed tranny, clutch and flywheel? ( Clutch and flywheel have less than 2000 miles on them)

Is it better to cut out the catalytic converters yourself and sell them seperately and part the thing out as much as possible just leaving the wheels and lights on it just to get it to the j-yard and get perhaps $7 per hundred pounds of steel or have them pick it up whole intact?

Time and labor are not really important since I have nothing better to do anyhow, right now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2011, 02:02 PM

1,440 posts, read 4,415,461 times
If you're going to sell it to a junkyard then they'll usually lower the offer if parts that they'd normally sell themselves are missing. Think converter, battery, good motor, good tranny, tires. If you're going to sell it to the scrap yard (different from a junkyard) then it doesn't matter what's missing.

Old 04-13-2011, 04:33 PM

859 posts, read 2,827,956 times
If you can disassemble the car you will get considerably more for it than selling it to a scrap yard whole.

When I built my Cutlass I bought the car as a driver with 29,000 original miles for $2500. Car ran great and the body was perfect with no rust. I pulled the motor, trans and rear end along with th AC, Alt, Starter and a bunch of other small parts. Keep in mind that these where a 260 V8, 200C trans and a 7.5 rear end with drum brakes. None of this stuff has high demand but I manged to sell all of it in just a few weeks and got back $1900. In the end I got a perfect car for $600.

You should easily be able to sell things like the motor, trans, rear end, wheels brakes, interior pieces, fenders, hood, doors etc depending on there condition. It all depends on how much time you want to put into it. The junk yard will come tow it away even if it's just a shell sitting on the ground. They want it for the scrap metal value.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive