U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2011, 02:46 AM

1,985 posts, read 5,862,848 times

Advertisements

My pickup and my wifes Durango both owners manuals say to stay above 87 octane. I have did this since we got them, but yesterday on aol there was a article that stated it was o.k. to use the low octane gas. Any reasons for or against this? Both are out of warranty and with the price of gas, there is a difference over the time of a year for saving money.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2011, 03:36 AM

10,869 posts, read 41,139,178 times
If your Wyoming location is above 5,000', then the motor compression is effectively de-rated enough so that our typical 85 octane regular will run OK.

Old 04-16-2011, 02:44 PM

24,717 posts, read 59,579,994 times
My car says use only 91 octane or higher. I have used lower once in a while and not noticed any difference. A friend who owned a gas station told me that all of the gas is the same. It is cheper for them to just deliver the higher octane gas and seel it at all three rates than to have three seperate distribution systems. I do nto know if this is true or not. I did nto stop buying premium gas, but then I love this particular car and I do not want to do anyhting to create problems with it. Premium is more, but if you add the totlat cost per year, it is not that much. However I ahve always wondered if it is a waste of moeny due to waht my friend told me. Anyone know?

Old 04-16-2011, 04:33 PM

4,464 posts, read 9,632,464 times
Cars made for premium fuel should be fed premium fuel, cars made for lower grades generally won't benefit from higher quality levels, unless they're engineered to take benefit from it (Such as Subarus, what detect higher octane ratings and manages to benefit them).

The only benefits that could potentially be had, would be from any additional additives in the gas.

But filling premium on a car made for regular, that isn't made to benefit from it is a waste.

Old 04-16-2011, 05:23 PM

24,717 posts, read 59,579,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheViking85 View Post
Cars made for premium fuel should be fed premium fuel, cars made for lower grades generally won't benefit from higher quality levels, unless they're engineered to take benefit from it (Such as Subarus, what detect higher octane ratings and manages to benefit them).

The only benefits that could potentially be had, would be from any additional additives in the gas.

But filling premium on a car made for regular, that isn't made to benefit from it is a waste.

However my question is whether there is really any difference. According to my friend, it is all higher octane. IN other words, if you buy 87 octane, you are getting 91 octane, if you buy 89 octane, yu are getting 91 octane, and if you buy 91 octane, you are getting 91 octane. He claims it is cheaper for them to jsut sell higher octane to everyone than to seperate the gasoline. The ratings are just used to charge some people more. Is this true? Anyone know?

Old 04-16-2011, 05:24 PM

6,191 posts, read 14,720,407 times
I did an experiment quite a few years ago on my old Nissan truck and found that I got between 1-2 extra mpg on 91 or 93 octane when compared to 85 octane...I am not good at arithmetic so will leave that for someone else to figure out if it's worth the extra money at today's prices.

When I had a high-perfomance Saab (Viggen) I almost always ran high octane and the few times I didn't I couldn't detect any difference in how it ran.

I have also been told to avoid budget-no name gas stations because the gas is only filtered once? I have no idea if that is valid advice. My old truck has almost 250,000 miles on it and runs great and I usually use whatever is cheapest, my van has about 130K and the manual doesn't address octane so I buy whatever is convenient and cheaper.

Old 04-16-2011, 05:33 PM

10,869 posts, read 41,139,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
However my question is whether there is really any difference. According to my friend, it is all higher octane. IN other words, if you buy 87 octane, you are getting 91 octane, if you buy 89 octane, yu are getting 91 octane, and if you buy 91 octane, you are getting 91 octane. He claims it is cheaper for them to jsut sell higher octane to everyone than to seperate the gasoline. The ratings are just used to charge some people more. Is this true? Anyone know?
I don't know about the fuel distribution in your area of the country ... but here in the Rocky Mountain states, there's a big difference between the lowest octane (85) and the premium fuel octane at the pump. Intermediate octane fuel is a blend of the two fuels.

I've had too many experiences with pinging on some of my motors where I installed higher compression than stock pistons ... and I could sure tell the difference on my Alfa's and BMW's with 10:1 pistons where there was no knock sensor/computerized ignition/fuel injection to compensate for lower octane fuel.

Old 04-16-2011, 05:54 PM

48,519 posts, read 81,013,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowwalker View Post
My pickup and my wifes Durango both owners manuals say to stay above 87 octane. I have did this since we got them, but yesterday on aol there was a article that stated it was o.k. to use the low octane gas. Any reasons for or against this? Both are out of warranty and with the price of gas, there is a difference over the time of a year for saving money.
You sure it doesn't say 87 and above octane?

Old 04-16-2011, 06:54 PM

12,826 posts, read 10,199,673 times
Quote:
However my question is whether there is really any difference.
Yes. Depending on your vehicle, you may get some statistically significant improvements in the form of slightly better average mileage and improved idle/torque performance. But guess what? More often than not, it's still a waste of money.

1. If you do the math, you'll still end up paying more than you'll save. Don't think that gas companies would be so stupid as to not properly price their premium products to bring in a bigger profit margin.

2. Just how much torque do you need to putter around town? You're probably not a Ferrari driver, and you're not on a race track. The technical improvement you get, while statistically significant, is pretty much irrelevant for your real needs.

3. The longevity and performance of your car will most certainly be much more significantly influenced by other maintenance and use factors.

4. Most Americans don't even come close to keeping their cars for the full useful life, regardless of what gas they use, so it becomes a moot point anyway.

So, to summarize...in most cases, spending money in this premium stuff is a waste. You should just throw your dollars into a trash can and set fire to them.

Old 04-16-2011, 08:28 PM

4,464 posts, read 9,632,464 times
Quote:
I've known plenty stories of people ruining engines due to poor fuel, so I'm going to guess that's not the case, though I'm sure they've done it on occasion.

The Impreza turbo engine is well known for it's need for premium fuel, driven for longer amounts of time on regular will eventually cause knock and if you're not careful, a complete engine destruction.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive