U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2011, 07:00 PM

3,790 posts, read 7,564,960 times

Advertisements

I see the Optima batteries at many stores and noticed their exceptionally high price. Is their an advantage to having one or is a Die Hard or Interstate just as good? Is it because of the fancy looks? I am getting ready to need a battery for my Impala, is why I am asking.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2011, 07:10 PM

5,293 posts, read 20,709,725 times
It is a different internal design that has very good performance and life. Important to many sportscar users is the fact that is does not have open vents so it will not leak or gas in high gee conditions. It is worth the price in some applications.

Old 04-16-2011, 07:21 PM

3,675 posts, read 7,596,453 times
I had never heard of this! I'll have to pay more attention at the auto store next time. How expensive are they?

Old 04-16-2011, 08:26 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, originally from SF Bay Area
28,406 posts, read 50,625,851 times
There are only 3 companies making all car batteries, Optima is unique and better for some cars but most are fine with Interstate. If you are not planning on keeping a car more than 5 years longer then save money and just get one at Sam's Club or Costco.

Car battery brands from Consumer Reports

Old 04-16-2011, 08:35 PM

4,227 posts, read 20,295,271 times
The Optima is an absorbed glass mat (AGM) battery. They're typically safer than the typical lead acid battery in which if they are dropped and broken they can contain most, if not all of the acid. Optimas are also supposed to last longer than a typical lead acid battery. The Absorbed Glass Matt construction allows the electrolyte to be suspended in close proximity with the plates active material. In theory, this enhances both the discharge and recharge efficiency. In my experience however, I actually got 4 years from an Optima and even longer than that from a Sears Die Hard. Go figure.

Old 04-17-2011, 12:42 AM

Location: Where nothing ever grows. No rain or rivers flow, Texas
1,085 posts, read 1,216,681 times
It's a waste of money.

Old 04-17-2011, 01:51 AM

6,662 posts, read 25,346,597 times
When the optima battery was developed it was a nice battery. In the last 7 years or so Optima was bought by Interstate I believe. Interstate is a top of the line rated battery. The Optima has less than stellar reviews recently.

Old 04-17-2011, 05:32 AM

33,143 posts, read 39,103,690 times
Probably a waste of money in most applications but some cars and boats have their batteries in enclosed areas where normal battery venting can cause an explosion under some conditions, the optima batteries address this issue by not needing to vent.

Old 04-17-2011, 10:09 AM

10,871 posts, read 41,162,985 times
The earlier Gates developed production Optima's had the ability to deliver a lot more energy at temperature extremes than an average lead-acid battery, and they had a lot longer service life.

I installed a lot of cosmetic blem Optima's in M-B diesels, where they gave much better cranking performance and service life than the MB 88 size battery that was OE equipment. At the time, the Optima battery was comparably priced to the MB 88 size battery, so it was a good value.

However, the standard Optima battery was susceptible to wearing out if it went through several complete charge-discharge cycles. So if it was totally drained ... as might happen if somebody inadvertently left a light on in a car, or didn't close a trunk lid completely, or had a constant drain on the battery (like an improperly wired in aftermarket radio amplifier) ... and then recharged, the battery was good for only several of these fully discharged cycles before it would not accept and hold a charge at all.

More recently, the Optima line has been sold and the quality has gone down while the pricing has gone way up. At the same time, the quality of conventional batteries has been much improved.

Unless you have a specific need for the "dry cell" Optima battery, there's no reason to justify it's substantial expense over a conventional battery in your car.

If you look at C-R's testing of battery performance, the standard retail batteries are pretty good performers for their price points. In my cars, I use them and typically get at least 7 years of service before they get marginal in cold or hot weather ... and I live in a climate where it's normal for over 6 months of cold weather service each year, with temps into the sub-zero range possible for days on end.

Old 04-17-2011, 10:25 AM

4,116 posts, read 7,606,621 times
If one is after an AGM battery, many of the 'brands', (all made by those few real manufacturers), offer AGM in many, but not all sizes.

Great for m'cycles, seldom used cars, (as theoretically they discharge more slowly), or in any car that has electronics under the battery situ.

Nothing wrong with 'wet cell' batteries either, for most car apps, imo.
An excellent tutorial on Batteries:

Battery Tutorial

GL, mD
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive