U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2018, 07:34 AM

5,328 posts, read 3,589,684 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
I hear or see this theory regularly, yet I see 2500s towing heavy huge 5th wheels or toy haulers for decades without problems. Does the theory really reflect in reality? Are there thousands of trucks dying on the roads from hauling too heavy 5th wheels? How are so many people able to use the same 2500 to tow a 32 foot 5th wheel for 20 years without incident?

While the theory makes sense to me, I do not see it playing out in the real world.
Can they pull them? Yep. I pulled a 41ft 5th wheel toyhauler from Bowling Green, KY back to Alabama with my 2500 Ram. Dry weight was 12,500.... Loaded weight was 15,500. Trailer weight wasn't the biggest issue though. Pin weight was. My pin weight was 2,325 lbs... Payload capacity loaded up was 1,800 lbs. I was overloaded on the bed.

It pulled ok, but only one time. When I got into a heavy storm it was all that I could do to keep it on the road. It also stressed the suspension to the point that it was a rough ride. The dealer told me it could do it and shame on me for listening. They came and picked it back up when I got home.

Should they pull them? No. What you "see" is typically a truck pulling heavy once. What you "don't" see is the accelerated wear on the suspension, brakes, their trips to the shop, etc.... It can get hairy quickly.

It's about weight, not length. My current 35' 5" 5th wheel weights 9,100 lbs dry and 12,500 max loaded. Loaded pin weight is 1,650 lbs.

It's about eventuality. Eventually those trucks are going to fail. Just a matter of when "eventually" comes to fruition.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2018, 07:47 AM

8,992 posts, read 14,187,334 times
I know it is a really old original post, but I love when I see such "scientific" data posted about what a corner garage sees in their shop as evidence of overall automotive reliability across the marketplace.

The American brands literally outsell the Japanese brands in full size pickup sales between 13 to 1 and 14 to 1 on a consistent year by year basis. (About 2 million annually vs around 130K-150K)

So, if both the American and Japanese trucks were equally reliable, say with a "need significant repair" rate of 5% for each, there would be 100,000 American branded trucks in a given model year in need of repair vs 7,500 Japanese trucks.

So yes, with 14 times the trucks on the road, a given shop WILL see more of those trucks in for repair... and it has nothing to do with them being "less reliable" than their Japanese counterparts. Heck, the American trucks could be twice as reliable, and that shop will still see six times more of the more reliable truck in for repair than the less reliable one just based on total numbers on the road.

Old 04-25-2018, 07:56 AM

32,798 posts, read 30,025,534 times
When I bought my F350 with 7.3 oil burner there was absolutely nothing besides another chevy or dodge available for what I needed. I haul huge loads of firewood, a 44 foot boat on a trailer, a heavy travel trailer, etc.

There wasn't a foreign anything available that could tow like mine. It's not just the towing, it's getting that load stopped.

Old 04-25-2018, 09:12 AM

6,153 posts, read 1,497,034 times
When I used to own a lawn care company, I used a Dodge 2500, but as I got larger, I looked into larger trucks, mainly the Ford F450-F550, but the price was ridiculous. From the prices I saw, I could have gotten a regular medium duty truck for much less, (like an International 4900), Even the F650 was cheaper than the F450/550.

Old 04-25-2018, 07:46 PM

16,485 posts, read 17,501,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
When I bought my F350 with 7.3 oil burner there was absolutely nothing besides another chevy or dodge available for what I needed. I haul huge loads of firewood, a 44 foot boat on a trailer, a heavy travel trailer, etc.

There wasn't a foreign anything available that could tow like mine. It's not just the towing, it's getting that load stopped.
AFAIK there still isnít anything available from Japan. They just donít touch the 3/4-1 ton market. Like you i had a choice between the big three. I tried Chevy, dodge and settled on Ford. I have 7.3s simply because the 6.0s were a disaster and the new trucks are too complicated difficult and expensive to buy and work on.
My trucks run great and I can still sell them for pretty high prices.

Old 04-26-2018, 04:10 AM

5,328 posts, read 3,589,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrician4you View Post
AFAIK there still isnít anything available from Japan. They just donít touch the 3/4-1 ton market. Like you i had a choice between the big three. I tried Chevy, dodge and settled on Ford. I have 7.3s simply because the 6.0s were a disaster and the new trucks are too complicated difficult and expensive to buy and work on.
My trucks run great and I can still sell them for pretty high prices.
Really the only tried and true diesel that I haven't had to do engine work to was the 6.7 Cummins that I drive now. Plenty of torque and power when I need it, better fuel economy than any 1/2 ton V8, and dead reliable. Outside of deleting it (which I chose to do) I put a serpentine belt on mine a few weeks back. First time I've had to do any kind of work on the engine.

There just isn't a Japanese truck that will do 1/2 of what it will. Some people have been sold on Japanese being the most reliable vehicles in the market. That may have been true years ago for a Corolla or a Civic, but that is not true in the full size truck market.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive