U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2011, 10:01 AM

14,777 posts, read 34,507,040 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffdano View Post
So you surely saw the news last week of the F150 airbag recall - 1.2 million trucks.

The Tundra camshaft recall was tiny and taken care of almost immediately.
Of course I saw it and it's certainly a major issue. I was merely poking fun at the belief that Japanese anything is unfailable and of massively superior quality.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2011, 10:06 AM

2,206 posts, read 2,498,282 times
Quote:
Anything has to be better than the Dodge/Freightliner/Mercedes Sprinter abortion.
Compared to Chevy Express and Ford E-Series, the Freightliner Sprinter is quite efficient and needs less fuel.

It is true that US pickups (unfortunately!) are very rare in Europe. I always wanted to buy a Dodge Ram, but is not officially sold in Germany and you have to contact export people, after customs and sales tax (19%) I would have to pay about $60,000 for a RAM 1500 5,7 Hemi... this is WAY to much.

Most transport stuff is done by Mercedes Sprinter, VW Crafters, Ford Transit, Mercedes V-Class, Mercedes Atego, Mitsubishi, Iveco, DAF..... Lots of people drive wagons like Mercedes E, BMW 5, Audi A6 instead of a pickup truck.

Old 04-19-2011, 10:17 AM

14,777 posts, read 34,507,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Douglas Dakota View Post
Compared to Chevy Express and Ford E-Series, the Freightliner Sprinter is quite efficient and needs less fuel.
The Sprinter is also more expensive to purchase, are absolute maintenance nightmares and have a horrible dealer network where no one wants to work on them. Of course, I am talking about them in a North American sense, they tend not to have the same issues in Europe do to a robust dealer network and better engines.

I have a lot of fleets who got sold on the Sprinter Kool Aid that are now scrambling to replace with them with Express's and E-series that are VASTLY cheaper to run in terms of TOC. The Transit Connect is a lighter duty option, so not every fleet can use them.

Old 04-19-2011, 12:08 PM

700 posts, read 952,608 times
I'm currently shopping for a used small truck for very light duty: home depot, land scaping stuff, fencing, and other crap. I want to be able to just trhow stuff in the back without worrying about the mess.

First choice: Toyota Tacoma, mostly due to its reputation. Then Ford Ranger or Nissan Frontier.

Went out to the local Toyota dealership. Looked in the used section of the parking lot in the back. Noticed a bunch of truck frames. Got curious. And confirmed that they were for both Tacoma and Tundra needing frame replacement.

Did more research: googled "frame rot on trucks". Mostly Toyotas and Nissan. Some Fords and Chevys, but not as much.

Went to the respective truck forums on Edmunds. Was surprised to find just as many complaints on Toyotas/Nissans/Hondas (Odyssey vans as an aside) as there were on Fords / Chevys / Dodges. Maybe this Japanese vehicle reliability is just perception due to better marketing and advertising. I don't really hear a lot of whining from most of the people I know who have American made vehicles.

Now I'm not so sure. I think I've changed my mind on the Toyota/Nissan trucks. On one hand, at least Toyota has owned up to the frame rot problem and is replacing them as needed. Although, I hear, the owner still has to pay for a certain amount. Then again, because of their good reputation for "reliability" and the demand out there, you do pay a premium for a Tacoma, compared to say, a Ford Ranger or Mazda truck.

I'm seriously looking at Ford. My office mate's Ford Ranger went to over 200K miles before he got rid of it. It was his daily driver. Heck, for my very light duty needs, even a Ford Explorer Sport Trac is good enough. The money I save (the Toyota premium) can go towards any future repairs on the Ford truck. At least, that's what I'm thinking.

Old 04-19-2011, 01:43 PM

441 posts, read 1,157,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Douglas Dakota View Post

It is true that US pickups (unfortunately!) are very rare in Europe. I always wanted to buy a Dodge Ram, but is not officially sold in Germany and you have to contact export people, after customs and sales tax (19%) I would have to pay about $60,000 for a RAM 1500 5,7 Hemi... this is WAY to much.

Most transport stuff is done by Mercedes Sprinter, VW Crafters, Ford Transit, Mercedes V-Class, Mercedes Atego, Mitsubishi, Iveco, DAF..... Lots of people drive wagons like Mercedes E, BMW 5, Audi A6 instead of a pickup truck.
Maybe 9$ for gallon of fuel and no need to haul a boat that you don't have to the mountain that there isn't is also contributing.
Have you tried to park RAM in any European garage or shopping mall? It's feasible in US, Russia, Australia or similar big country, not in Europe. Use Google earth and check random street in London or Prague. Now tell me how you fit anything bigger than RAV4 there :/

Previous discussion about popularity of the car based on lifetime sales of the model is really funny. Just compare per year sales you spinners. Who cares if Ford or Toyota had same model name 80 years ago.

Last edited by meet4; 04-19-2011 at 01:52 PM.. Reason: Removed link, copyright.

Old 04-19-2011, 01:56 PM

2,206 posts, read 2,498,282 times
Quote:
Maybe 9$ for gallon of fuel and no need to haul a boat that you don't have to the mountain that there isn't is also contributing.
Have you tried to park RAM in any European garage or shopping mall? It's feasible in US, Russia, Australia or similar big country, not in Europe.
True... but our Audi (Q7) is not that much smaller and needs roughly the same fuel, of course it is better for high-speed driving whereas the RAM is not that fast, but has a higher towing capacity and a better sound. I like its overall design, if it would be avaliable at the same price compared to the U.S. I would buy one in a heart beat. Actually we have no boat but my sister has two horses which needs to be towed in a trailer.

Old 04-19-2011, 02:43 PM

142 posts, read 637,667 times
of course you cant compare the european trucks to americans.the use is different, and the size of things you haul.And one other thing. Dont compare the milage of a *** car to a us one, the japs runs twice as long. no problem on the ones i had and the most of them runs over 300 only changing oil and timingbelts.

Old 04-19-2011, 03:27 PM

18,097 posts, read 16,629,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fastninja500 View Post
Now I'm not so sure. I think I've changed my mind on the Toyota/Nissan trucks. On one hand, at least Toyota has owned up to the frame rot problem and is replacing them as needed. Although, I hear, the owner still has to pay for a certain amount.
The frame rot was for Tacoma's and Tundra's from the late 90's to early 2000's. The frames were not replace, the entire vehicle was scrapped in the program. The owner was given full retail plus 10% I believe. It had to be complete rust thru to qualify and most of those vehicles were from salt prone areas. No money came out of the owners pocket. I bought a 2002 Tacoma before the recall came out but since mine was a southern vehicle, there was no rust. yes I paid more for it than a similar Frontier or ranger but after 6 years of ownership and only 1 minor problem( fixed under warrenty), I feel it was a great deal.

Old 04-19-2011, 04:04 PM

7,780 posts, read 17,786,405 times
The Ranger is a tried and true small truck. Its a excellent compact pickup. Probably the best the US makes.. One of my employees has one (3 years old)and its indestructible.. he loves it..

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastninja500 View Post
I

I'm seriously looking at Ford. My office mate's Ford Ranger went to over 200K miles before he got rid of it. It was his daily driver. Heck, for my very light duty needs, even a Ford Explorer Sport Trac is good enough. The money I save (the Toyota premium) can go towards any future repairs on the Ford truck. At least, that's what I'm thinking.

Old 04-19-2011, 05:29 PM

1,345 posts, read 2,213,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frankgn87 View Post
The Ranger is a tried and true small truck. Its a excellent compact pickup. Probably the best the US makes.. One of my employees has one (3 years old)and its indestructible.. he loves it..
OMG, the ford ranger is basicaly a rebadged mazda, this is there last year they are being discontinued.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive