Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2011, 10:27 AM

251 posts, read 951,226 times

Advertisements

I work as a courier and drive about 60,000 a year. I have two vechicles a cargo van for heavier loads, and a car for light loads. I have been using Moble One extened life oil where I can go 10,000 miles between oil changes, but now they are charging $100 for the oil change. A 5,000 mile oil change is $55.

1 Is it really safe to go 10,000 miles between oil changes ?

2 Is it true that once you start using Synthetic oil you need it keep using it ?

3 If it would not damage my vechicles to change back to regular oil, would it still be worth it to use synthetic ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2011, 10:33 AM

3,869 posts, read 15,171,657 times
Only if you do regular OUA testing.

2 Is it true that once you start using Synthetic oil you need it keep using it ?
No, you can mix it with regular Dino oil and or switch back and fourth.

3 If it would not damage my vechicles to change back to regular oil, would it still be worth it to use synthetic ?

No.

On some older high millage vehicles switching to Syn can clean up the seals resulting in some leaks, that's the only down side.

Old 04-18-2011, 11:19 AM

Location: Where nothing ever grows. No rain or rivers flow, Texas
1,085 posts, read 1,581,344 times
Ideally, you should stick with what the owner manuals says.
You'd be surprised BMW oil change is every 15,000 miles.
Personally, I judge oil change schedule by the color of the oil for both my race car, daily driver, and beater vehicle.

Old 04-18-2011, 11:39 AM

The color of your oil is not an indicator of the oils quality.

IF you ran a diesel engine it will turn black in a hundred miles or less.
Is it now bad? no.

If you do oua like I'm sure BWM recommends you can run the oil until the additive package is used up or the oil is contaminated. This does not mean you will not have to change the oil filter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimBomb View Post
Ideally, you should stick with what the owner manuals says.
You'd be surprised BMW oil change is every 15,000 miles.
Personally, I judge oil change schedule by the color of the oil for both my race car, daily driver, and beater vehicle.
Is this what the manual calls for? It's turning brown you better change it now.
A waste of money& oil no matter what oil your running changing it this way.

Old 04-18-2011, 11:51 AM

859 posts, read 2,829,121 times
NO... By 10,000 miles the oil is so contaminated it does a very poor job of lubricating the motor. If you use synthetic you should be doing 5,000 mile changes. Especially in a delivery vehicle if the vehicle does a lot of stop and go.

NOT True. You can go back and forth as often as you like. I have seen a few older cars start to leak when switching to Synthetic oil. Reason is it tends to clean the gunk out of the seals and allows leaks to form. If you have been using Dino oil and the motor has 100K on it. Keep using dino oil.

3 If it would not damage my vehicles to change back to regular oil, would it still be worth it to use synthetic ?
Not in my opinion. Most places around here do Dino oil changes for $25 with a filter. but synthetic is $55 and up. I would use regular dino oil and change it every 3K.

I Would Not under any condition go by the owners manual for fliud changes. I've worked on a ton of those cars that have 7500 and 10000 mile oil change schedules. If you saw what came out of those cars you would be shocked. How about an 06 Camry with 30K on the clock that needs new main and rod bearings. Oil was changed at 7500 miles just like the manual said complete with receipts. We just did a neon that the motor was scrap but the oil was changed every 10K just like it should have been.

Change dino oil at 3K and synthetic at 5K.

Old 04-18-2011, 12:06 PM

7,780 posts, read 21,880,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johna01374 View Post
NO... By 10,000 miles the oil is so contaminated it does a very poor job of lubricating the motor. If you use synthetic you should be doing 5,000 mile changes. Especially in a delivery vehicle if the vehicle does a lot of stop and go.

NOT True. You can go back and forth as often as you like. I have seen a few older cars start to leak when switching to Synthetic oil. Reason is it tends to clean the gunk out of the seals and allows leaks to form. If you have been using Dino oil and the motor has 100K on it. Keep using dino oil.

3 If it would not damage my vehicles to change back to regular oil, would it still be worth it to use synthetic ?
Not in my opinion. Most places around here do Dino oil changes for $25 with a filter. but synthetic is $55 and up. I would use regular dino oil and change it every 3K.

I Would Not under any condition go by the owners manual for fliud changes. I've worked on a ton of those cars that have 7500 and 10000 mile oil change schedules. If you saw what came out of those cars you would be shocked. How about an 06 Camry with 30K on the clock that needs new main and rod bearings. Oil was changed at 7500 miles just like the manual said complete with receipts. We just did a neon that the motor was scrap but the oil was changed every 10K just like it should have been.

Change dino oil at 3K and synthetic at 5K.
exactly. Trying to convince some of these yo yo's here that a 10k mile oil change is not good is like pulling teeth. lazy wins over, so it seems.. no common sense

Old 04-18-2011, 02:20 PM

Location: Where nothing ever grows. No rain or rivers flow, Texas
1,085 posts, read 1,581,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snofarmer View Post
The color of your oil is not an indicator of the oils quality.

IF you ran a diesel engine it will turn black in a hundred miles or less.
Is it now bad? no.

If you do oua like I'm sure BWM recommends you can run the oil until the additive package is used up or the oil is contaminated. This does not mean you will not have to change the oil filter.

Is this what the manual calls for? It's turning brown you better change it now.
A waste of money& oil no matter what oil your running changing it this way.
I wrote 'Personally'. That means thats how I prefer to do it. Choosing oil types is from the user manual.

Yes. diesel engine oil needs to be changed more frequently because of higher operating temperature and fuel additives.

Old 04-18-2011, 02:46 PM

10,494 posts, read 27,244,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by witton View Post
I work as a courier and drive about 60,000 a year. I have two vechicles a cargo van for heavier loads, and a car for light loads. I have been using Moble One extened life oil where I can go 10,000 miles between oil changes, but now they are charging $100 for the oil change. A 5,000 mile oil change is $55.

That service station is ripping you off big time. Autozone is selling 5 quarts of Mobil One extended life AND a Mobil One oil filter for $31.99. It only takes 15 minutes to change it. I already bought the oil and filter and plan to change it right before my car is due for emissions.

Old 04-18-2011, 03:37 PM

That's fine were just having a discussion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimBomb View Post
I wrote 'Personally'. That means thats how I prefer to do it. Choosing oil types is from the user manual.

Yes. diesel engine oil needs to be changed more frequently because of higher operating temperature and fuel additives.

For a gasser using dino oil 3-4k.
A diesel 5-7k using dino changing it any earlier no matter how black it is, is a waste of oil and money.
When she takes 3gal of oil.
The color of the oil is not an indication that it needs to be changed.

Oil testing will tell you the condition of your oil and what the contaminants are made up of..
I have found when I send in oil to be tested that I could have run it for another 7k+or longer before the additive packages start to degrade..

Run good filtration, not the cheapest oil filter you can find at wallyworld.

I don't like using any additives just some #2 in my diesel engine.

Old 04-18-2011, 03:47 PM

4,500 posts, read 12,344,990 times
1: It depends on what your owners manual say, I wouldn't go 10k miles unless the manufacturer OK's it.

2: You can switch back and forth at will

3: Depends on the car. If the engine is designed with synthetic in mind, I certainly wouldn't run Dino on it in any case. I'd recommend sticking with what the owners manual states. Especially regarding change interval. The 3k change is a myth, held alive by the places who make money off you changing it that often. Entire continents run on changes twice and three times that change interval, in at times, harsher climates, without having their engines destroyed because of it, so following the Owners manual is perfectly safe.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive