U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2011, 07:39 PM

4,227 posts, read 20,324,236 times

Advertisements

Thanx Frank. I took a look at Pat's site. Looks almost like his converters are sort of an off the shelf style...???

I've read somewhere that there's a company that takes the weight of your car, engine hp, torque, etc. and will build a converter to your specs.

Could you also spin your tires if you were doing 50 mph on a dry paved road and then punched it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2011, 05:36 AM

7,780 posts, read 17,808,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deez Nuttz View Post
Thanx Frank. I took a look at Pat's site. Looks almost like his converters are sort of an off the shelf style...???

I've read somewhere that there's a company that takes the weight of your car, engine hp, torque, etc. and will build a converter to your specs.

Could you also spin your tires if you were doing 50 mph on a dry paved road and then punched it?

You can buy an off the shelf converter or get him to make one for you.. Depending on road surface. at 50 mph if I punched it to WOT, the tires would spin maybe 1/2 the time. It was an intense ride, thats for sure

Old 04-22-2011, 07:04 PM

13,422 posts, read 42,812,710 times
Did anyone point out that the smaller converter will not change the HP or torque output of the engine? It won't. As stated it just gives you more revs on launch, and it will give you a small decrease in rotating inertia which will help acceleration a bit.

It also will make more transmission heat and worse MPG in street driving, if you care. Living out west where distances are long, and summers are hot, I would care, but if this is strictly a fun car, or a dedicated street/strip car with emphasis on strip, more of a street-legal drag car - OK fine.

Old 04-22-2011, 09:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Mitch View Post
It also will make more transmission heat and worse MPG in street driving, if you care. Living out west where distances are long, and summers are hot, I would care, but if this is strictly a fun car, or a dedicated street/strip car with emphasis on strip, more of a street-legal drag car - OK fine.
Actually, I'm being told that on my car it will not have much stall until I start building boost, because a V6 with a turbo doesn't make much torque...only maybe 200 ft lbs of it...until the turbo spools up and thus adds torque...and it's the torque that dictates where the torque converter will stall. In fact this guy tells me he's installed a 3500 stall converter in a turbo 6 car and it drives like a stocker until the turbo is spooled.

I have had experience with a 3000 stall behind a big block V8 and without overdrive.

Old 04-22-2011, 10:56 PM

My 2800-3000 stall converter drove just like a stocker in every way.. There were no downsides to it..

Old 04-23-2011, 01:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Mitch View Post
Did anyone point out that the smaller converter will not change the HP or torque output of the engine? It won't. As stated it just gives you more revs on launch, and it will give you a small decrease in rotating inertia which will help acceleration a bit.
It may not make any more hp/tq....but correct me if I'm wrong...it will put me more into the "kick in the nuts" range and thus allow me to accelerate faster due to a more onset of power...?

Even if I weren't drag racing, wouldn't a loser converter required for such vehicle be sort of like (but not really) gaining a few extra ponies?

Old 04-23-2011, 01:35 AM

3,054 posts, read 5,036,539 times
Frank, I tried to rep you, but it said i have to spread the reps around first. The convertor like you had works very well. I absolutely agree at least 4 tenths is left on the table of DEENUTTZ ride on launch alone, not to mention the lower e.t on down track. 2.0 60' is not anywhere near capibility of these cars. I would also reset your injection to come in later as it may be hitting at the wrong time to launch. instant rich/ loading with the additional fuel can kill power taking off.

Old 04-23-2011, 08:56 AM

Quote:
It may not make any more hp/tq....but correct me if I'm wrong...it will put me more into the "kick in the nuts" range and thus allow me to accelerate faster due to a more onset of power...?

Even if I weren't drag racing, wouldn't a loser converter required for such vehicle be sort of like (but not really) gaining a few extra ponies?
Yes no more hp, but better acceleration.. Its sort of like changing the rear gear ratio. No more hp but better acceleration.

Old 04-24-2011, 12:37 PM

Here's another one for you...

I know a higher stall converter (suited to my combo of course) will help drop my 1/4 mile times, traction provided.

However what about the trap speed? If I went with a bigger converter (again suited for my turbo/cam) will my trap speed go up? Or stay the same?

Old 04-24-2011, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Here's another one for you...

I know a higher stall converter (suited to my combo of course) will help drop my 1/4 mile times, traction provided.

However what about the trap speed? If I went with a bigger converter (again suited for my turbo/cam) will my trap speed go up? Or stay the same?

stay the same..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or