U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 04-25-2011, 01:51 PM
 
Location: Eastern Washington
13,411 posts, read 42,760,536 times
Reputation: 11490

Advertisements

Trap speed is almost independent of launch technique, 60' time, all the stuff that actually wins drage races - it's a measure of actual horsepower.

Or so I have read anyway.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 04-25-2011, 02:09 PM
 
Location: Eastern Washington
13,411 posts, read 42,760,536 times
Reputation: 11490
Quote:
Originally Posted by frankgn87 View Post
My 2800-3000 stall converter drove just like a stocker in every way.. There were no downsides to it..
What is the stock stall speed? I'm thinking its about 2200-2500. If so, you made a small change and it worked out well, you were still in "street-able" territory.

The people I remember having problems with heat and such were running 3500 and more stall speeds, and of course big cam, big gear, etc. that goes with that recipe. The cars were quick on track but a PITA in normal street driving. I would not want to be putting $4 gas in one of those.

This was going on in my mis-spent youth over 20 years ago, so it's possible things are different now. These were the typical 60's and 70's hotrod automatics, TH 400, C-6, etc. - with no lockup. The one thing I had to give these guys is they broke fewer parts, and of course didn't miss any shifts.

Do the GNs have a locking torque converter? If so, yeah, there would not be any downside as locked is locked, regardless of how much it slipped before lock-up happend.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-25-2011, 03:41 PM
 
Location: Earth
4,227 posts, read 20,304,126 times
Reputation: 2210
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Mitch View Post
Trap speed is almost independent of launch technique, 60' time, all the stuff that actually wins drage races - it's a measure of actual horsepower.
I was kind of hoping my trap speed would go up with a looser torque converter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Mitch View Post
Do the GNs have a locking torque converter? If so, yeah, there would not be any downside as locked is locked, regardless of how much it slipped before lock-up happend.
Yes the 1984-87 GN's do have a lock up torque converter from the factory. However the way I understood it was because their V6's don't make any torque until the boost kicks in, that's the reason they say it drives like a stocker.

Frank does this sound about right?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-25-2011, 04:31 PM
 
Location: South Jersey
7,780 posts, read 17,795,892 times
Reputation: 2295
stock TR converter is a 2000-2200 rpm and yes its a lock up type.. Today's converters are much different and do not slip like the old days... Remember the old 10" Vega converter?
And yes deez, that is correct. + the fan designs of todays converters make then a whole lot more efficient then the ones we had in the 70's. B&M Holeshot

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Mitch View Post
What is the stock stall speed? I'm thinking its about 2200-2500. If so, you made a small change and it worked out well, you were still in "street-able" territory.

The people I remember having problems with heat and such were running 3500 and more stall speeds, and of course big cam, big gear, etc. that goes with that recipe. The cars were quick on track but a PITA in normal street driving. I would not want to be putting $4 gas in one of those.

This was going on in my mis-spent youth over 20 years ago, so it's possible things are different now. These were the typical 60's and 70's hotrod automatics, TH 400, C-6, etc. - with no lockup. The one thing I had to give these guys is they broke fewer parts, and of course didn't miss any shifts.

Do the GNs have a locking torque converter? If so, yeah, there would not be any downside as locked is locked, regardless of how much it slipped before lock-up happend.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-25-2011, 05:10 PM
 
Location: Earth
4,227 posts, read 20,304,126 times
Reputation: 2210
I never used a Vega converter but I heard back in the 70's they were highly sought after. Was that the only thing avaliable until a true high stall converter came along?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-26-2011, 05:07 AM
 
Location: South Jersey
7,780 posts, read 17,795,892 times
Reputation: 2295
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deez Nuttz View Post
I never used a Vega converter but I heard back in the 70's they were highly sought after. Was that the only thing avaliable until a true high stall converter came along?
yup. thats what we used back in the day for the hot set up
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top